Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
Wesely Puzzle character
So I asked Maj. Wesely about his Blackmoor characters, starting with "the Weasel", and he said the weasel was probably meant to be him but was not a character he actually played. Initially he was "David the barbarian".

Apparently David the Barbarian and Ross Makers dwarf character along with others stormed Blackmoor dungeons when it was under the control of the Orcs in order to rescue the Elven princess Lotsa, whom they had kidnapped. Only Maker and Wesely survived the adventure, but they returned Lotsa to the elf king who was waiting with Ean Elven Army outside the castle.

Anyway the reward for David the Barbarian was a short lived marriage to Lotsa. The end result of which - as Wesely learned years later - was a female half elf, who became Wesely's character during one of the anniversary games they played in the 2000's.

He said the character appeared in one of the Dave Arneson Blackmoor books, but he couldn't quite recal the name. It was something like "Martan vessaloy or vagely" - at least that's what it sounded to me like he said.

Any clue who that character might be?
Lotsa what? :lol: :wink:

An elven princess. I am totally stealing that for my campaign! 8)
Aldarron Wrote:So I asked Maj. Wesely about his Blackmoor characters, starting with "the Weasel", and he said the weasel was probably meant to be him but was not a character he actually played. Initially he was "David the barbarian".

I read elsewhere that in the first couple of games they Original Players played themselves, or future characters that had been pulled into a fantasy world. I guess maybe David the Barbarian was that character?

Quote:Apparently David the Barbarian and Ross Makers dwarf character along with others stormed Blackmoor dungeons when it was under the control of the Orcs in order to rescue the Elven princess Lotsa, whom they had kidnapped. Only Maker and Wesely survived the adventure, but they returned Lotsa to the elf king who was waiting with Ean Elven Army outside the castle.

This is an awesome story. It definately needs to be incorporated into things. I'm thinking Lotsa is short for an actual elven name. She could easily be Menander's sister.

Quote:Anyway the reward for David the Barbarian was a short lived marriage to Lotsa. The end result of which - as Wesely learned years later - was a female half elf, who became Wesely's character during one of the anniversary games they played in the 2000's.

I do remember reading that Wesely had played a half-elf, but I didnt kow he didnt play this character until such a late date.

Quote:He said the character appeared in one of the Dave Arneson Blackmoor books, but he couldn't quite recal the name. It was something like "Martan vessaloy or vagely" - at least that's what it sounded to me like he said.

Any clue who that character might be?

Not that I can think of right now, but will look into it!

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Havard Wrote:I read elsewhere that in the first couple of games they Original Players played themselves, or future characters that had been pulled into a fantasy world. I guess maybe David the Barbarian was that character?

Yep, playing as a version of himself. This would have been either fall or summer of '71 when he was on leave.

Havard Wrote:I'm thinking Lotsa is short for an actual elven name. She could easily be Menander's sister.

-Havard

I kinda think he mentioned "lotsa" in his interview on the train, but I'll listen again to check. Anyhow, said princess was supposed to be a daughter of the Elven King.

I'm sure you will figure this one out Havard! I think the character is probably in the 3.5 book. I glanced through the 4e book but nothing jumped out. There's one or two possibilities in the Wizards cabal but nothing looked like a great fit.

Couple details I could add are that the marriage was temporary because Arneson described the elves as being a sexually open society, kinda like 19th century polynesians. Marriages lasted as long as it was convenient and the husband stuck around.

Other thing is that he said when he played the half elf, at one point he choose to transport back to "the elven kingdom" ringlo hall presumably, and discovered that the king and court considered him, er her, to be an embarrasment as a "half human", tolerated but not really welcome, despite the royal heritage.
Aldarron Wrote:It was something like "Martan vessaloy or vagely" -

Oh of course! it is VESLO MERIDAN

Weseley had the name backwards (or does TSR? Meridan sounds a lot more like a girls name than Veslo) It finally hit me when I was reading the character description and thought Veslo sounds a lot like Wesely.