Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
[Blog] Blackmoor Like Map Used for Runehammer's Crown & Skull RPG?
https://blackmoormystara.blogspot.com/20...mmers.html

Map of this new RPG looks sort of familiar...?

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
*Sips tea.*

Came here for this. - Not sure what to think of this, really: Why would somebody risk the validity of their product over such a brazen and obvious copyright infringement?

It's not even about what *we* think; as soon as this comes to Wizbro's attention, they're quite probably going to shoot "Crown & Skull" down.

That said, there have been instances when stuff like this has gone generally without being punished, or at least without public debate:
"The Secret Fire" and other games boldly repurposed the classic Greyhawk map, IIRC.

Honestly, personally - as long as it's not taking away from Mr Arneson's heirs, or from other pioneers of the hobby, more power to projects like this one.
WotC tried to wrongfully appropriate any and every fan-made content last year: Within that overall context, no shame in testing a bit what is possible within the law.

Now, obviously, a nuanced, "sophisticated" take on Blackmoor would be infinitely more interesting than "yeah, we borrowed the map because this way the game looked more oldschool-y".

But again: A third-generation indie RPG referencing BM in this way, that's probably also simply pretty nice.
I don't know "Runehammer", but the rest of the material they're offering doesn't look like they're some hacks.

If this meant is a love letter to Blackmoor, and not as a cash grab, that's cool from my POV. (Like, with equal candor: I'm not gonna buy or play this one; but I am happy if there are folks out there who do.)
You make some good points my friend!

Dave Arneson in his life was always known to be very generous towards other gamers and fans. He always loved it if people used Blackmoor in their games. I am sure he would have been happy seeing something like this Smile

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
I see it the same way, brother. Smile The one criticism you know I often express towards Blackmoor is that, at this point, it's a setting that, for the most part, is *investigated* and *read*. I think Mr Arneson, for all I know of him, would have liked it to be *played* instead, and as much as possible. -- If C&S gets more people to at least connect with the Blackmoor tradition it seems to try to conjure, that's not that small of a good thing, in my mind. Smile
(03-30-2024, 03:15 AM)Rafael Wrote: I see it the same way, brother. Smile The one criticism you know I often express towards Blackmoor is that, at this point, it's a setting that, for the most part, is *investigated* and *read*. I think Mr Arneson, for all I know of him, would have liked it to be *played* instead, and as much as possible. -- If C&S gets more people to at least connect with the Blackmoor tradition it seems to try to conjure, that's not that small of a good thing, in my mind. Smile

I agree wholeheartedly and I'm doing my bit to make sure the setting is *played* as much as I can.
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land,
making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.