Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
[Blog] Blackmoor Convention in October teased by SoB Team
Blackmoor Convention in October teased by SoB Team

There has been a lot of talk about  Gaming Conventions connected to Dave Arneson and Blackmoor this year. A few days ago, the idea of a Blackmoor convention in October was teased by the Secrets of Blackmoor documentary team on Twitter

[Image: SoB%20Blackmoor%20Con.jpg]

This is the same convention a different source told me about back in July, but the follow up tweet reveals a bit more about what may have been planned. 

[Image: SoB%20Blackmoor%20Con%2002.jpg]
The mention of the convention being close to Dave's birthday is why I speculate that they are looking for October since Dave's birthday is October 1st which has been celebrated for years here at this blog and the main Blackmoor fan hangout at The Comeback Inn and associated social media accounts. 
Fake autographs sounds a bit strange, but having Dave Arneson's daughter as a guest of honor at such a convention would be awesome. 
My main concern about this is that October is only a little more than a month away. If this has any chance of happening, they would need to announce something a bit more solid very soon, even if they only plan for a "small and intimate" gathering.
As I have stated in the past, I will support any project that seeks to honor Dave Arneson's legacy and I hope this convention will come to pass. If not this year, perhaps next year can be an option? Joining forces with DaveCon might help give that convention a boost, but two conventions could also mean twice the fun!
Crossposted from my blog: http://blackmoormystara.blogspot.com/202...eased.html

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
I'm confused. I got a voicemail on Thursday, August 25th, 2022, wherein Kevin McColl stated that "Griffith Morgan hadn't gotten his act together and that the October convention isn't going to happen" and then solicited my advice on how to proceed. Given the statements by Mr. Morgan on the Internet about "pursuing legal remedies" (and claiming, in the process, that he controls the Blackmoor copyrights and trademarks) to shut the April DaveCon down, and what appears to be a complete lack of any progress on the proposed October convention, I strongly doubt I will respond to that voice mail; while I would be happy to support a convention in honor of Dave Arneson, I want no part of the drama and gaming politics that have been blighting the local gaming scene here in the Twin Cities for the past year.

No, I am not going to do what I did for Dave Arneson all those years ago, and save the day like I did with "The Minnesota Campaign" that Dave asked me to run. The cavalry ain't riding to the rescue, this time around.

Michael Mornard has often said that "No gaming is better than bad gaming", and I feel that this applies here. I'm enjoying Bob Meyer's 'Blackmoor - The New Chapter' gaming that he's doing in partnership with the Shieldmaidens On Sundays game group, and I will continue to support their work in bring back the style and joy of gaming that was Dave's gift to all of us. Gaming is supposed to be fun, and I am profoundly saddened by what's been happening to Dave and his legacy.
(08-29-2022, 09:02 AM)chirine ba kal Wrote: I'm confused. I got a voicemail on Thursday, August 25th, 2022, wherein Kevin McColl stated that "Griffith Morgan hadn't gotten his act together and that the October convention isn't going to happen" and then solicited my advice on how to proceed.

That is quite interesting Chirine. It is disappointing, but understandable that the SoB team will not (from what you are writing here) organize a convention this October. I believe that Kevin still wants to organize a small gaming event in Dave's honor so that may still happen. Maybe that is what he wanted advice on? Smile

Quote:Given the statements by Mr. Morgan on the Internet about "pursuing legal remedies" (and claiming, in the process, that he controls the Blackmoor copyrights and trademarks) to shut the April DaveCon down, and what appears to be a complete lack of any progress on the proposed October convention, I strongly doubt I will respond to that voice mail; while I would be happy to support a convention in honor of Dave Arneson, I want no part of the drama and gaming politics that have been blighting the local gaming scene here in the Twin Cities for the past year.

This is news to me. As far as I know, the majority of Blackmoor IP is held by WotC and even though things like the FFC are not included in that, it would be very difficult to do anything related to Blackmoor within gaming without the blessing of WotC. There has been a lot of tinkering with Trademark ownership in the old school community lately, but from what I understand this is at best a misunderstanding of the difference between IP and Trademarks. I am not a lawyer, but I humbly recommend avoiding things that could risk drawing the attention of Hasbro/WotC's legal department.

It is equally disappointing if legal means would have to be involved in settling disputes between the two conventions. I am sure there are things here that are unknown to me, but it seems that Victor Dorso, the organizer of DaveCon, has been careful not to make use of any references to Trademarks held by other parties.

The friends and fans of Dave Arneson and Blackmoor are a small group and it is better if we work together to honor his legacy than get drawn into unneeded conflicts.

Quote:No, I am not going to do what I did for Dave Arneson all those years ago, and save the day like I did with "The Minnesota Campaign" that Dave asked me to run. The cavalry ain't riding to the rescue, this time around.

Michael Mornard has often said that "No gaming is better than bad gaming", and I feel that this applies here. I'm enjoying Bob Meyer's 'Blackmoor - The New Chapter' gaming that he's doing in partnership with the Shieldmaidens On Sundays game group, and I will continue to support their work in bring back the style and joy of gaming that was Dave's gift to all of us. Gaming is supposed to be fun, and I am profoundly saddened by what's been happening to Dave and his legacy.

Well said! I hope we can get to learn more about the new chapters of Bob Meyer's campaign in the future. Smile

-Havard
New developments in this saga: https://blackmoor.mystara.net/forums/sho...p?tid=3032

-Havard