The Wayfarer's Inn

Rafe's Place
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:13 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:17 pm 
Lord of the Enchanted Wood
 WWW  Profile

No common storyline. I blended the adventures later on, playing on themes and similar enemies in the adventures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:17 pm 
The Wizards Of Tula Bow Before Him!
 WWW  Profile

Just want to be correct in my assumption regarding the cover art for Dragon Crown you did. http://www.acaeum.com/jg/Item0076.html
Was what I have as the prequel art really that or something done after just for a page of the Dungeoneer 10 magazine?

ShaneG.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:05 am 
 WWW  Profile

I wasn't aware of the "Prequel" product.

When I worked for Judges Guild, I did not work on site, or even live in the same city with JG. I worked out of my apartment in another city in another state. All my completed work was mailed in. And JG was too budget conscious (there's another less polite word for that) to pay for quality PMTs (photo mechanical transfers) of the art ... so I sent them originals.

Simply put. The original cover for Dragon Crown was lost in the mail ... for a while. So I had to redraw a new one from scratch in very short order. I'm pretty certain that the replacement art was used on first product. The orginal work eventually showed up ... after the product had gone to press. That's what was used in the Dungeoneer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:50 am 
Fear me, I am Admin!

Paul, having worked on so many projects for so many different companies, isn't it difficult to keep track of all your contributions? :)

I just checked your bibliographical page over at www.pen-paper.net and realized that this most likely is just about the half, or even less of all the projects you have worked on.

Another additional question I have is if you have an opinion on Mongoose's new Runequest line. I have been considering to try RQ lately, but I am still not sure if I should go with this newest edition, or try an older one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:58 pm 
 WWW  Profile

@Rafael: I remember most of the major stuff. Coming across old pictures (like those Dragon Crown images) will trigger my recall. But I'm constantly coming across old pieces of art (such as this weekend while cleaning up my studio) that bring back memories about projects worked on .

The pen-paper.net list has most of the major pieces. However, in it's attempt to be completist ... it misses a lot of the minor things, like stories illustrated ... and major things like most of my work for Iron Crown and West End Games, Martian Metals and Metagaming. My work on Traveller, my Cardboard Heroes, my miniature sculptures, The Dungeoneer ... and on and on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:39 am 
Fear me, I am Admin!

Another question that is not so much related with The Enchanted Wood, but has to do with Caverns of Thracia.

Reading through the d20 version of the module, I wondered about the backstory given in the module(The Age of Thracia, and so on): Did you conceive it, or was it James Collura's idea? - I am just asking because I, again, see possibilities in my campaign to connect CoT and EW. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:45 pm 
 WWW  Profile

My original history was intended to set the dungeon against a tapestry of history. Important to remember that even in 1979, most gamers still explored "dungeons" in which owed their design to space available on graph paper. Little thought was given to how dungeons where built, let alone asking the questions of who did this, why, and when?

I had no interaction with James Collura while he adapted my original work. From the looks of it, my original intent for the adventure survived intact. Though from a quick scan, it looks like the lost lizardmen aspect has a sort of "against the drow" feel to it (old TSR adventure).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:09 am 
Fear me, I am Admin!

PJaquays wrote:
Though from a quick scan, it looks like the lost lizardmen aspect has a sort of "against the drow" feel to it (old TSR adventure).

I must confess that this was the part of the adventure I liked the least, exactly becuase it read a bit like "lets storm yet another lizardmen lair", though, with a few allusions to "He-Man and the Masters of the Universe", where Snake Men are among the BBEGs, it might work out as well. IMC, I mostly focus on the upper levels and on the "Immortal King", as a kind of cthuloid overfiend. Pretty funny... The first part of the adventure being a typical dungeon delving session, the second part being a horrific fight for survival.

I inserted the Thracia story in my own campaigns several times. My preferred location for it is actually the "Great Dismal Swamp" from the First Fantasy Campaign setting. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:57 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I know I ran CoT as a Runequest adventure. I know I ran it as part of my Griffin Mountain campaign, but I can't remember if I also ran it earlier than that. My conversion notes may have some indication (D&D to RQ took a look of conversion work and couldn't be just run on the fly).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:23 am 
Fear me, I am Admin!

:) Ah, I think I know that module as well, though I have never played it.
AFAIK there was a republication of the adventure aroudn the year 2000. Where you involved in this rerelease, or is it that you these days simply offer your advice for the relaunches of your popular classics, like the for upcoming Dark Tower d20 module, and are not involved in the writing process?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next