[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
The Wayfarer's Inn • View topic - Differences between Mentzer, M/C and the RC

The Wayfarer's Inn

Rafe's Place
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:35 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Differences between Mentzer, M/C and the RC
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:45 pm 
Fear me, I am Admin!

Hi all,

Maybe I am outing as a n00b right now, but what are the differences between the different editions of OD&D?

Some of the feedback I got for my DF Chat Game was rather sceptical because my game will be based on the RC and not on Mentzer or M/C.

Now, from what I got from a few very quick glances at the books is that the games are still practically identical... So, is it really a problem to create one character under one set and then play it under another?

Thank you,

Rafael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:56 pm 
Rat Fodder
 WWW  Profile

Well, I don't feel like a noob, been playing AD&D for 25 years, but I guess I'm a noob when it comes to OD&D as well. In fact, I never even realized that D&D was supposed to be a separate stand alone product until recently. I always assumed it was just the earlier simpler edition.

Someone please bullet point the big differences. I agree with Rafael that on the surface the versions don't seem that dissimilar.

Please visit Mike's Magical Menagerie! I've got lots out-of-print D&D and AD&D items for sale.

http://www.mikesmagicalmenagerie.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:38 pm 
Tenderfoot

Part of the problem is the confusing names of the various editions and versions of D&D. Most everyone I knew considered AD&D to be the new version of D&D, with Basic D&D just an introductory product (that ushered you into AD&D). But then a new Basic and Expert D&D came out. Then An even newere Basic, Expert, etc. came out. It was at this third stage (at least to my awareness) that TSR started promoting D&D as a separate game from AD&D. And then AD&D 2nd edition came out. Then D&D 3rd edition came out (dropping Advanced from the name, but clearly being more related to AD&D than D&D). In the meantime, more introductory sets were also released.

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:06 am 
Owns a White Box!
 WWW  Profile

don't worry, raf! "rc d&d" is 99.8% "mentzer d&d"! the problem for the dragonsfoot guys is just that they expect a 1974 gygyax-game, when they read "od&d chat game".

as a quick orientation: 1974 d&d is quite similar to holmes d&d.
moldvay d&d is quite similar to mentzer/rc d&d.

there are big differences between these two "groups".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:14 am 
Owns a White Box!
 WWW  Profile

... as ffilz said - holmes IS kind of an introduction to ad&d.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:02 am 
Fear me, I am Admin!

:) Thank you for the info! - But in general, the games are still basically the same, right? - I would really wonder if I had missed an entire ruleset...

Personally, I am all the Cyclopedia gamer, because this was basically the only book available when we started playing. Later changed to AD&D, but for me personally, RC is still the most comfortable way to go... In fact, I am starting develop a similar collectivist passion for RCs as Glgnfz for the Red Boxes. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:42 pm 
Owns a White Box!
 WWW  Profile

oh! how many have you got? they usually don't fetch too much on german ebay, i think i had to sell my extra copy for €9.99.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:49 pm 
Fear me, I am Admin!

:oops: Just two... I am looking for mint or near mint copies, and those are very hard to find at a reasonable prize... Now, I want to get like at least five copies more... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:07 pm 
Known as THE AXE!!!
 WWW  Profile

The RC included most of the Mentzer rules, but also added a few extra options like General Skills and allowing Mystics as PCs (which was suggested in Mentzer). They left out a few things as well such as Jousting rules and changed charisma so it followed the same adjustment rules as the other stats.

Other than that you have previous rulesets:

OD&D (Gygax/Arneson)
Holmes
BX D&D (Cook/Moldway)
Mentzer/RC+

Basically each edition builds on the previous, but adds layers of rules. Mentzer's is the first ruleset that allows characters to advance to 36th level (and beyond). Holmes seems to have been an attempt to make OD&D closer to AD&D as it has both alignment axis and no race classes. B/X is a clear predecessor to Mentzer, though a few details are different and you cannot advance beyond 14th(?) level.

OD&D, as in Gygax and Arneson's rpg is much more rules lite and is the predecessor of both the Classic and Advanced line. It also had rather strange rules like allowing Elves to switch class between fighter and M-U between each adventure rather than combine the two as in Mentzer's rules.

Havard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:55 am 
Frequent Tentacle Issues