The Wayfarer's Inn

Rafe's Place
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:54 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Vampires of the North
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:41 am 
Fear me, I am Admin!

Hi all,

Quick question: Is there any material about vampires in the North, apart from the story around Baron Fang?

I wondered if there would be any vampire clans, and so on. (Working on a new adventure right now, could be of importance.)

Yours,

Rafael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:45 am 
Fear me, I am Admin!

No ideas? :-?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:07 pm 
Champion of Ezra

I dont even know what this is. Is it from Vampire the Masquerade? Or some other setting?

Brain: Try to take over the world, Pinky!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:14 am 
Fear me, I am Admin!

:D Of course, this is a question on the Blackmoor setting that this board is dedicated to... ;)

Post subject: Re: Vampires of the North
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:51 pm 
Known as THE AXE!!!
 WWW  Profile

Rafael wrote:
Hi all,

Quick question: Is there any material about vampires in the North, apart from the story around Baron Fang?

I wondered if there would be any vampire clans, and so on. (Working on a new adventure right now, could be of importance.)

Clans does sound a bit White Wolf-ish, but the question is interesting. There certainly could be some sort of network between the vampires of the North. I could definatelty see the Duchy of the Peaks as being home to numerous such beings. The human sacrifice type activities of the Skandahar could also be attributed by the influence of a few northernly vamps. It would be interesting to look up the origins of Baron Fang though to see if that could be used to detail the Blackmoorian vamps further.

Classic D&D also has a Vampire-like creature called Vellya which would be ideal for the Dismal Swamp...

Havard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:37 am 
Fear me, I am Admin!

The timeline by David Ross says the following about Fant:

Quote:
Ra-All is “promoted to [Earl] of Vestfold”, succeeded in Blackmoor by a contemptible fellow known to posterity as “the Weasel”. The Weasel is, of course, no Andahar.
“The Weasel” betrays the Kingdom and flees to the barbarians. First Coot Invasion.
Fant & friends sneak into the Castle and open gates from inside.
Fant is granted Blackmoor Barony. The bandit Jenkins is also made a Baron, over “the northern most (sic) march … which rests on the actual frontier with the Egg of Coot”. Marriage between Fant and Jenkins clans.

[...]

Large-scale invasions by the Egg and his former servant, the “Ran of Ah Foo[h]”. Maus and Booh support the enemy at first. Egg and Ran raise unholy terrors in Loch Gloomen and the Sages’ Tower. (Many of these areas had probably been conquered beforehand.)
Spring Invasion begins in earnest. Glendower, Wizard of Wood (with Pixie allies), Dwarves of the Mines are first to support Earl of Vestfold. Independently, Monks of the Swamp fiercely defend their Temple (aided, this time, by Boggy Bottom).
Evil alliance goes on to alienate the Wizard of Mi-Karr. And Maus is neutralized. Svenson’s Freehold sacked. Blue Rider rescues Fant.
Siege of Blackmoor by the Egg. The good dragon Gertrude slain by the east gate. The Seneschal and leading families hide the Baron’s children in the Secret Room, then meet with ten “barbarian” representatives in the Black Hall. A Coot archmage “releases his spell through the ten”. “In forms too terrible to describe”, the ten attack. Most of the Castle’s leadership is slain, the Castle itself falls within a week. The ghost of Lady Alfred slays Fant’s wife and newborn children.

[...]

Victory. Elven adventurers take Blackmoor, hold the Castle with Church connivance. Orcs driven to the 10th level dungeon. The Great Svenny slays Funk, spawning revenge-feud.
Castle becomes a kind of amusement park for adventurers.
Fant’s companions are put on trial for their part in losing Blackmoor to the Egg. Their past courage on behalf of Thonia earns them a commuted sentence: exile to Loch Gloomen.
Meanwhile, a strong fighter becomes the vampire Sir Fang. This is also the last mention of Fant as a ruling Baron of Blackmoor. Great Vampire Hunt in which Fant is “killed”, but later two dwarves free him and join his undead legion. Elves’ dungeon tour cancelled.

[...]

Last mention of “the Baron” and Sir Fang: Fang was raising an army of monsters in the Dungeon. It appears that the Castle was subdued enough that the Andahars could reside there again.

In DoCBM, nor info is given about Fang, who resides there in Level 15, though /spoilers ahead!/ an ogre vampire and two vampiric dwarf infact reside there with him...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:05 pm 
Known as THE AXE!!!
 WWW  Profile

Thanks for posting this information Raf!

There are actually alot of interesting tidbits here, but not too much in the way of explaining Sir Fangs vampiric origins or vampirism in general in Blackmoor. Could Lady Alfred's Ghost somehow be involved?

If not, it seems like the two main sources of undead in general are The Egg and the Ran of Ah Foo. IMC I generally prefer having them create mostly technology-dependent undead, but they could also represent two different brands of vampirism. I wouldn't mind having Sir Fang create his own "clan" of vampires, though I'm not sure what they would be like. Perhaps Fang's minions are an underground form of vampires, given their connection to the Dungeons of Castle Blackmoor, Vampiric Dwarves etc. White Wolf's Nosferatu could be used as a source of inspiration for these "Fangites".

Other brands of vampires:
* Swamp Vampires (Connected to the Temple of the Frog)
* Vampires of Coot (Steam tech-vamps)
* Frostvampires (Skandahar Vampires)
* Fangites (as mentioned these are underground vampires. Ugly-looking fellows thriving in Sewers and the like).

Just some ideas

Havard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:50 am 
Fear me, I am Admin!

:) Personally, what I am thinking of would match most with the Fangites idea you have.

I generally dislike non-human vampires in my games, especially if there are cooler monster with which one could substitute them... Dwarven vampires being the only exception, I guess.Image