Eras of Blackmoor Publication
I'm trying to organize Blackmoor into various eras, since "Blackmoor" has been inserted into so many campaign worlds. Here's a start...
I. Twin Cities Blackmoor (? - 1976)
This would be Chainmail and pre-OD&D days from the Midwest Military Simulation Association (Minneapolis-St. Paul) and St. Thomas
College, probably including most of the material in the FFC as well as the original version of the Valley of the Ancients. Probably
this ectends as far as OD&D Supplement II.
II. Judges Guild Blackmoor (1976 - 1980)
This would be the FFC stuck onto the Wilderlands campaign along with the Wilderlands version of the Valley of the Ancients. My
understanding is that Dave adjusted his map to fit along with the existing JG Wilderlands map.
III. World of Greyhawk Blackmoor (1980-1985)
The WoG folio and boxed set have BM placed therein, although no real development occurs as part of the Greyhawk campaign.
IV. TSR Blackmoor (1986-87)
This would be the era where TSR did the DA 1-4 series of modules. Dave had some input in the first couple, minimal (if any) input in
the last couple. A DA5 module was planned but never created. The "Known World" of Mystara had BM placed therein (apparently by folks
other than Dave Arneson) to attempt to tie the two worlds together. The GAZ modules began in 1987.
The two issues of Different Worlds magazine were done about the same time as era IV but not specific to any version of Blackmoor and
with a combination of rules.
V. BlackMoor reimagined (2004-present)
This represents the 3E BM campaign currently being published by Zeitgeist Games, along with the MMRPG and other current products.
I figure there are only four publications worth looking at for actual Dave Arneson content as far as Blackmoor is concerned:
1. FIRST FANTASY CAMPAIGN (Chainmail)
- Some material modified/reprinted as DA1 Adventures in Blackmoor (Mentzer Basic D&D)
- Some material modified/reprinted as Dave Arneson’s Blackmoor (d20 3.5e)
- Some material modified/reprinted as The Player’s Guide to Blackmoor (d20 3.5e)
- Some material modified/reprinted as The Dungeons of Castle Blackmoor (d20 3.5e)
- Some material modified/reprinted as DA5 City of Blackmoor (theoretical product)
2. BLACKMOOR (Original D&D)
- Some material modified/reprinted as DA2 Temple of the Frog (Mentzer Basic D&D)
- Some material modified/reprinted as Temple of the Frog (d20 3.5e)
3. GARBAGE PITS OF DESPAIR (Mentzer Basic D&D/Advanced D&D)
4. DA3 CITY OF THE GODS (Mentzer Basic D&D)
I have listed FFC first because, even though it was published after Blackmoor, it is obviously (to me) the older material.
There was also “Facts About Blackmoor” published in The Domesday Book magazine/newsletter of The Castle & Crusade Society (the original one), but it seems to be extremely rare and obscure and probably most of it was republished in FFC.
The following have minimal to no actual Arneson content as far as I know (I would be glad to be corrected):
- DA4 Duchy of Ten (Mentzer Basic D&D)
- The Redwood Scar (d20 3.5e)
- The Wizard’s Cabal (d20 3.5e)
- Clock and Steam (d20 3.5e)
- Riders of Hak (d20 3.5e)