The Dave Arneson's Blackmoor Discussion Forum



It is currently Feb 18, 2018 4:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Erwin Andahar - Uther's Cousin
PostPosted: Dec 29, 2013 9:39 am 
Offline
Lord of the Regency Council
Lord of the Regency Council
User avatar

Joined: Nov 17, 2009 2:48 pm
Posts: 6066
Location: Norway, Europe
Erwin Andahar appears in episode 24 and 59.

He is described as a prominet businessman and more importantly Uther's Cousin. He is also rumoured to be involved with the patriotic group known as the Silent Guard.

The big question then is, if he is the cousin of Uther, who are his parents? Could he be the son of Maragaine? That would make Maragaine Uther's aunt. Perhaps the sister of Ra-All the Wise, if he is Uther's father.

And why on earth would he be interested in business?

-Havard

_________________
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Erwin Andahar - Uther's Cousin
PostPosted: Jan 17, 2014 10:22 pm 
Offline
Freeholder
Freeholder

Joined: Feb 20, 2012 4:41 pm
Posts: 61
Because he has many older brothers and therefore doesn't stand to inherit anything; therefore he must make his fortune through business ventures and earn status by rising through the ranks of political groups.

Why is the Silent Guard silent? What secrets are they guarding?

If Maragaine was a queen, she had to have succeeded Uther, since he was Blackmoor's first monarch. While it's certainly not impossible for an older aunt to be his only heir, especially if Uther dies young, it seems more likely that she's his contemporary - for example, a cousin. Perhaps she's Erwin's older sister. Or perhaps his younger sister, and Erwin dies or is disinherited after attempting to use his money and shadowy "patriotic organization" to organize a coup.

Of course, it's not impossible for Uther's aunt to be younger than he is.

If you assume that Uther's cousins are nobles, then which canonical Blackmoor nobles are they likely to be? They're clearly members of House Andahar, so perhaps somewhere in the Heartlands. Could Baron Zwenzen be an Andahar? Perhaps Erwin is Zwenzen's son. Could Baron Zwenzen be a younger brother of Ra-All the Wise?

I'd be tempted to try to work Rua Morgaiste in as one of Uther's family, too.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Erwin Andahar - Uther's Cousin
PostPosted: Jan 19, 2014 5:49 pm 
Offline
Lord of the Regency Council
Lord of the Regency Council
User avatar

Joined: Nov 17, 2009 2:48 pm
Posts: 6066
Location: Norway, Europe
ripvanwormer wrote:
Because he has many older brothers and therefore doesn't stand to inherit anything; therefore he must make his fortune through business ventures and earn status by rising through the ranks of political groups.


Yeah, that would make sense. I used to think that Uther's lack of heirs would send the Kingdom into chaos, but now it looks like he may have a whole host of relatives, at least within the MMRPG continuity...

Quote:
Why is the Silent Guard silent? What secrets are they guarding?


This is a very interesting question. There is little information about their origins, but the MMRPG documents describe the Silent Guard as an organization of patriots to the cause of defending Blackmoor. Potentially this could be a pretty dangerous group, but they do have close ties to the Regency Council, so it does seem that their intentions are benign.

I suspect that the group could have been formed by war veterans from Uther's rebellion who refused to hand in their weapons in case new threats should arise.


Quote:
If Maragaine was a queen, she had to have succeeded Uther, since he was Blackmoor's first monarch. While it's certainly not impossible for an older aunt to be his only heir, especially if Uther dies young, it seems more likely that she's his contemporary - for example, a cousin. Perhaps she's Erwin's older sister. Or perhaps his younger sister, and Erwin dies or is disinherited after attempting to use his money and shadowy "patriotic organization" to organize a coup.


My thought was that the "queen" title would be incorrect and that she actually never ruled Blackmoor independently. Another possibility is that she outlives Uther and attempts some kind of coup. IIRC she is not described as a very nice person?

Quote:
Of course, it's not impossible for Uther's aunt to be younger than he is.


Also indeed a possibility. Although it could be that she is simply very long lived. Uther is around 40 in 1030.

Quote:
If you assume that Uther's cousins are nobles, then which canonical Blackmoor nobles are they likely to be? They're clearly members of House Andahar, so perhaps somewhere in the Heartlands. Could Baron Zwenzen be an Andahar? Perhaps Erwin is Zwenzen's son. Could Baron Zwenzen be a younger brother of Ra-All the Wise?


I think we would have to ask Greg about this one :)

Zwenzen is of his own noble house of course, though he could easily be related to Uther perhaps through his mother's side? I would suspect that most nobles in the region have some family ties or other. Very little canonical information is given on the Andahars however.

Quote:
I'd be tempted to try to work Rua Morgaiste in as one of Uther's family, too.


I like that!

Assuming your alternate timeline for Greyhawk Blackmoor, the present time of the MMRPG would be CY613. Do we have a rough date to when Rua would have fought the Lich of Glendover?

-Havard

_________________
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Copyright © The Comeback Inn
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group