Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
[BECMI] Homebrew Blackmoor Classes
Hunter
Hunters are Wilderness Warriors, living off what nature has to offer. They are experts in trekking through woodlands and other outdoor terrains and can track any animal.

Hunters work as the Fighter Class except:
  • Can only use Leather armor and no Shields
  • Have Woodland abilities of the Halfling Class
  • +1 to AC
  • +1 to Missile Weapons
  • If the General Skill Rules are used, they gain the Tracking Skill for free.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Brigand

As Fighter except:
    • Cannot be lawful
    • Cannot use armor heavier than Chainmail
    • 1d6 HP per level. +1 per level after 9th Level
    • Gains the Backstab and Pick Pockets abilities of Thieves of the same level.

-Havard
True Shaman
True Shamans are found in many cultures in Blackmoor, but most notably among the Peshwa. This is an attempt to combine the Shaman and Shamani Classes that appeared in the Gazetteer series with some additonal ideas taken from AD&D 2nd Edition and D&D 3rd Edition.

As Cleric except:
  • Does not serve Immortals or Deities
  • Cannot use armor heavier than Leather
  • 1d6 HP per level. +1 per level after 9th Level
  • May use the following weapons: Dagger, Spear, Staff, Bolas, Net, Bows, Blowgun, Handaxe. If Weapon Mastery is used, True Shamans begin the game with Basic Mastery in two weapons.
  • Cannot Turn Undead
  • May learn the Shaman spells from both the Ethengar Shaman and Atruaghin Shamani Classes.
  • Control Spirit Ability: Use Turn Undead Chart for Clerics with the following modifications. A Turn result means the number of HD of spirits will stop attacking and respectfully retreat from the Shaman. A Destroy result means that the Spirit is under the control of the Shaman 1 turn (6 rounds). This ability only affects spirit creatures (see below).
  • May speak with Spirit Creatures
  • Gains a Spirit Companion as described in the Ethengar Gazetteer. Animal type may vary depending on local fauna (DM's discretion).

Spirit Creatures
The following monsters are considered Spirits
  • Spirits (from the Ethengar Gazetteer)
  • Elementals (including Djinns, Efreets etc)
  • Immaterial Undead (Ghosts, Wraiths, Specters, Undead Spirits, but not zombies, Ghouls or Liches etc)
  • Fey (Pixies, Sprites, Sidhe etc)
  • Some woodland creatures (Treants, Satyrs, Dryads and Unicorns but not Centaurs or animals)

-Havard
Hey, my dear viking! Can I steal the "True Shaman" for The Coward's Blade? Smile
Sure, go ahead. Smile

I am curious to see how the Spirit Control ability works in actual play.

-Havard
Cool beans, thanks! I'll let you know how it plays out... Or, perhaps, you might do us the honor and try for yourself, some day? :wink: Smile
Rafael Wrote:Cool beans, thanks! I'll let you know how it plays out... Or, perhaps, you might do us the honor and try for yourself, some day? :wink: Smile

I would love to, but I don't see time permitting that in any forseeable future. I will let you know if that changes. Smile

-Havard
I shall pester you with it. Smile

I am pretty happy we ultimately switched to OD&D, though, for this game. The system seems indeed more accessible to the players than some of the more modern iterations. So far, even though there was this very nasty incident in February, the game's been great fun for me, as the DM. Smile

By the way, much to my own surprise, I found that "meleon" apparently is one word for "black" in an Eastern language. So, the backdoor hommage to BM, while unintended, is there. ("Meleon", or "Mele(h)an", is one of the sons of Mordred, in the Arthurian circle, so I really never thought anything else.)
Assassin

Assassins are identical to Thieves except:
  • Use D6 to determine Hit Points
  • Do not have the Thief abilities: Pick pockets, Open Locks or Read Languages
  • Gains Prepare Poison Ability: May once per day add a poison to his own weapon. At 1st level this poison does an additional 1d6 points of damage. At 9th level and beyond the Assassin may instead choose to create a deadly poison (save vs poison or die). Assassins never allow anyone else to use weapons they have added poison to. The poison only lasts one day.

-Havard
CHAMPION (Any Alignment)
This class is available for Fighters and Fighter Variant Classes at 9th Level.

These fighters have no special affiliations to Immortals, Clerical/Druidic Orders. Instead they focus on weapons and combat training. They get no specific penalties and the following advantages:
  • They gain two of the following general skills: Alertness, Blind-fighting, Danger sense or Leadership*.

*=Optional Rule: In addition to adding morale to NPCs as per the RC, a character with the Leadership skill may allow one allied player to reroll one die roll per combat and select the best result..

Note: This class replaces the Wanter Fighter and Land-Owning Fighter for BECMI. This class should only be used as written if you allow Paladins, Knights and Avengers to own land. If the General Skill rules aren't used in your campaign, you should find some other benefit for this class.

-Havard