** ARCHIVED FORUM - ANY CHANGES ARE REVERTED HOURLY **

It is currently Mar 29, 2024 7:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: [ASP] Initial Thoughts on an AiF Restatement
PostPosted: Nov 16, 2014 5:20 pm 
Freeholder
Freeholder

Copied from my blog...

In my last post I mentioned the Adventures in Fantasy clone project that I am working on currently. While there have been many clone games, of both the retro and neo variety, this game will not use the OGL as a basis. I aim to restate the rules in a clearer fashion to the best of my understanding; anybody that has read through this game will understand what I am talking about. Now, on to some thoughts related to this project.

Why Am I Doing This?
Adventures in Fantasy has been a source of fascination for me. On one hand, it gives a look at how Arneson would have possibly done things differently; of course, much of that is up for debate with Snider as a co-author when you look at Powers & Perils. On the other hand, the rules read like they were one or two edits away from a much more manageable and understandable system. I have entertained the thought of doing a Book IV: Book of House Rules for some time but I think a restatement would actually be a better idea.

Another consideration is the availability of the boxed game. I have no knowledge of how rare Adventures in Fantasy is but I do know that there are still many role-players that have never seen or even heard of this game. I was fortunate and bought my copy at a time when the price was less than $20. I have seen some outrageous prices - around $200.00! - for a copy of a complete boxed set. Do not misunderstand me on this issue. I believe that Adventures in Fantasy is definitely a fascinating piece of gaming history but I also think some of the sellers are pricing this game at an unrealistic price.

What Is The Name?
I am currently using the name of A.S.P., or Arneson and Snider's Percentile-Based, Fantasy Adventure Gaming Rules for this project. The name is not that catchy but it gets the point across and will be okay until something more suitable comes along. I have received some excellent suggestions from Havard in this thread over at The Comeback Inn. I suspect I will likely use one of his ideas but I am also open for other suggestions.

Will There Be Changes?
Of course, there will be differences between the rules as written and the rules as restated. I am aware that the rules themselves can be redone with relative ease by stating them in a different manner. In contrast, someone can fairly and legally cry foul* if the tables, location names, and other such areas are just reproduced exactly. There will be changes in those areas. The important thing is that the rules will be presented in a format that is much easier to comprehend.

* Of course, now I wonder if just simply stating my intentions are enough to consider this a derivative work?

Final Thoughts
In addition to those initial thoughts behind the restatement project, I have made a few basic decisions...

The format for this project is planned to be a single volume instead of three booklets.

I have been working on the character creation section of the rules. After a large section of it is completed to my satisfaction I will post it up for some feedback.

There are several threads on The Comeback Inn detailing ideas for house rules. If the posters that originally posted those house rules are agreeable, then I would be interested in including them in the final version; maybe in sidebars or an appendix?

If anybody has any good links for some appropriate public domain art that I could use then I would highly appreciate it.

I think some Appendixes at the end of the rules would be a neat idea. Maybe they could include a bio on Arneson, a bio on Snider, inspiration, etc.

If anyone is interested in collaborating on this project, I would definitely be open to it.

That should just about do it for now. More later...

Post subject: Re: [ASP] Initial Thoughts on an AiF Restatement
PostPosted: Nov 17, 2014 4:21 pm 
Lord of the Regency Council
Lord of the Regency Council

Thanks for posting this here!

As to legal things I am no expert on such things, which is one of the reasons why I keep most of my online work strictly non-profit. Aldarron or Vile might be good people to talk to about these things since they have written similar projects.

Looking forward to seeing how this progresses! :)

-Havard

PostPosted: Nov 17, 2014 5:42 pm 
Le Noir Faineant

Good luck. - I'd like to see an AiF clone, for sure, if only to have one available.
At the same time, one would have to see what we're talking about before one could make a judgment.

Also, speaking from dreadful experience, some advice I consider "good" - do the layout, art, etc LAST, and first, focus on the manuscript alone.

Keep us posted! :)

PostPosted: Nov 17, 2014 7:33 pm 
Freeholder
Freeholder

PostPosted: Nov 17, 2014 7:42 pm 
Freeholder
Freeholder