Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
Religion and Cosmology in AiF
There is no Cleric Class in AiF. So far I have found references to two Saints: St Cuth (in the Bleakwood section) and St. Andrew (Book of Creatures and Treasure ).

It seems that Saints can be involved in the creation of artifacts.

I also found a refernce to a "Christ Cross" in the Book of Creatures and Treasure. Does that mean that AiF uses real world religions?

The Book of Creatures and Treasure also mentions demonic powers drawn from multiple religions:

Malakim (descendants of demonic powers)
Jinn (formerly angels)
Ifreet (as Jinn)
Ghul (as Jinn)
Al (Armenian demons)
Tigbauna (Philipinese demon)
Rakshasa (Hundu demons)

For those less comfortable with using real world religions in their games, I suggest using the deities described in the Dave Arneson's Blackmoor Campaign Sourcebook (d20).

Based on ripvanwormer's suggestion in this thread, St Cuth (or St. Cuthbert) could be replaced with Henrin. St Andrew could perhaps be replaced with Fronaeus.

Thoughts?

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Havard Wrote:There is no Cleric Class in AiF. So far I have found references to two Saints: St Cuth (in the Bleakwood section) and St. Andrew (Book of Creatures and Treasure ).

It seems that Saints can be involved in the creation of artifacts.

I also found a refernce to a "Christ Cross" in the Book of Creatures and Treasure. Does that mean that AiF uses real world religions?

The Book of Creatures and Treasure also mentions demonic powers drawn from multiple religions:

Malakim (descendants of demonic powers)
Jinn (formerly angels)
Ifreet (as Jinn)
Ghul (as Jinn)
Al (Armenian demons)
Tigbauna (Philipinese demon)
Rakshasa (Hundu demons)

For those less comfortable with using real world religions in their games, I suggest using the deities described in the Dave Arneson's Blackmoor Campaign Sourcebook (d20).

Based on ripvanwormer's suggestion in this thread, St Cuth (or St. Cuthbert) could be replaced with Henrin. St Andrew could perhaps be replaced with Fronaeus.

Thoughts?

-Havard

Interesting! It is quite apparent from reading the monsters descriptions that a lot of the information is based on real world knowledge, belief, & superstition so using real world religions makes sense to me.
I sporadically blog (mostly) about role-playing topics at The Semi-Retired Gamer.
Semi-Retired Gamer Wrote:Interesting! It is quite apparent from reading the monsters descriptions that a lot of the information is based on real world knowledge, belief, & superstition so using real world religions makes sense to me.

Good point, there are also references to Islam and even to Allah in the Jinn/Efreet section.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Semi-Retired Gamer Wrote:Interesting! It is quite apparent from reading the monsters descriptions that a lot of the information is based on real world knowledge, belief, & superstition so using real world religions makes sense to me.
Agree.
However, this is what all "more modern" RPGs stay well, well, well clear of. Above all.
Definitely not politically correct :wink:
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land,
making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Yaztromo Wrote:
Agree.
However, this is what all "more modern" RPGs stay well, well, well clear of. Above all.
Definitely not politically correct :wink:

Not politically correct, for sure! If it was done in a respectful and informative matter, it could be really cool and a way to draw people into the game. This warrants a deeper look...
I sporadically blog (mostly) about role-playing topics at The Semi-Retired Gamer.