** ARCHIVED FORUM - ANY CHANGES ARE REVERTED HOURLY **

It is currently Mar 29, 2024 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: [WL] The Great Glacier and Blackmoor
PostPosted: May 04, 2013 2:24 pm 
Lord of the Regency Council

In the Wilderlands, The Great Glacier is the region north of the map, just north of Valon. Very few official sources have much detail on this region, but various unofficial sources have attempted to describe it in more detail. First of all Rob S Conley's covers this very region. A different presentation is given in my own .

In any case, the Great Glacier region is interesting because it encompasses the area that separates/connects the Wilderlands from Blackmoor. Since I am interested in examining the possible connection points between the two settings, this region holds great interest to me.

I read somewhere some criticism of Conley's interpretation that it made the actual Glacier too small. In my version, I paid some respect to Conley's map, but made significant changes since I wanted to make room for the Vales themselves. I also made the Glacier bigger, though I am sure some would feel that even in my take it isn't large enough.

Regardless of its actual size and shape, I think the Glacier is interesting. I see it as a remnant from an Ice Age from about 6000 years before King Uther's age. The Glacier is effectively a barrier preventing contact between Blackmoor and the northern parts of the Wilderlands Region. Avalonian Ice Mages have no doubt been able to make it across the Glacier, but on the other end they would have found the Plains of Hak and more wilderness to traverse should they be able to find a way to Blackmoor. Not impossible, but also not something that would occur too often.

What sort of dangers can be found on and around the Glacier itself. Is it connected with the very source for the Avalonian Magic? Are treasures or other secrets hidden within the ice?

Taking a look towards Blackmoor lore, the Goddess Sachwynne is associated with Ice. Is the glacier considered holy by her followers?

Thoughts and ideas?

-Havard

Post subject: Re: [WL] The Great Glacier and Blackmoor
PostPosted: May 04, 2013 3:13 pm 
Comically Terrible
Comically Terrible

Let's not forget the Lord of the Icy Wastes, Stodos...

Follow Thorn's Chronicle | |

PostPosted: May 06, 2013 3:24 pm 

Interesting point Rob! Does The Frog have power even in this frosty region? It would make sense if we assume the connection between the Temple of the Frog and the Empire of Viridistan.

Above is a map of the Great Glacier Region as I envision it (click to enlarge). Perhaps this visualization can spark more ideas for the region I am trying to detail.

I imagine the 3E Sourcebook Frostburn would be a handy resource for such a campaign. I will also consult my BECMI sourcebooks to dig out ideas for frost creatures.

Edit: Noticed at least one typo: The Uther PenTwegern Sea. I dropped the name Uther to avoid confusion with Blackmoor's Uther.

-Havard

PostPosted: May 12, 2013 6:46 pm 
Count
Count

This sourcebook isn't half bad:

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/T ... sourcebook)

There's also the Dragons of Ice module that describes a fairly interesting setting and culture I've borrowed for Icy fun in past games. I can list more arctic sources if you like.

'blog https://www.blogger.com/home

PostPosted: May 30, 2013 10:24 am 

Thanks Aldarron! This link looks very interesting.

More sources are also welcome!

I noticed in the Players Guide to the Wilderlands that Blue Elves hail from this region.

Also, James Mishler suggested over at the Wilderlands Facebook page that in ages past Skandiks have made it across the Glacier and eventually became the ancestors of the Skandaharians.

I think it would be difficult for humans to actually live within Glacier though.

-Havard

PostPosted: May 30, 2013 11:25 am 
Freeholder
Freeholder

Huh I've been itching for ice and cold in a game and color me curious, any other stuff about this region? Also I might start looking for cold themed creatures myself since my next planned adventure is set in a icy tundra.

PostPosted: May 31, 2013 5:20 pm 
Freeholder
Freeholder

PostPosted: Jun 03, 2013 11:03 am 

Thanks for providing this bit Rip! I really need to get Mishler's book.

The Alvar are mentioned in the Players Guide as well. It occurs to me that we could explore the lands surrounding the glacier. Im guessing not many intelligent creatures live on top of the Glacier itself.

-Havard

PostPosted: Jul 14, 2013 3:00 am 
Freeholder
Freeholder

I've been hunting through bestiaries for creatures to inhabit this region and decided Frost Men would probably be appropriate, rarely encountered and when seen by outsiders they mean business. They have strange magical abilities which manifest as the ability to produce a cone of cold from their hidden eye. I've also added Adlet into the sentient creature that may be encountered, they are my weird race of lupine creatures who have to origins as far as I can brew up. Maybe the Glacier called out to the original Frost Men? Maybe their magical skills are the result of exposure to wild or rime magic causing magical mutations. The Adlet might be a group of pre-lupine creatures? I've also placed crude stone structures around acting as gates and relics of the past and they are often bound to be the place of Garl or Brute-men habitation as they worship or defend these ancient sites in a mix of reverence and fear. Maybe Burrowers lurk below? Maybe Sleeping Ones are frozen and want free?

I still want to make a list of encounters for my game that would slowly head that way.

Anyone have any input? I'm looking into Frostburn for ideas, easy to convert then to make new in 3.5/PF.

PostPosted: Sep 11, 2013 3:06 am 
Freeholder
Freeholder

I recently picked up a physical copy of Elder Evils and when I got a indepth reading I found two of the elder evils nicely fitting for the region.

Father Llymic and the Hulks of Zoretha. They are all imprisoned in a tundra like area so why not the Great Glacier? The Hulks are also not of this world either, they exist to purge the world so their creators can colonize this planet. I could see both working well as sleeping one like entities.