** ARCHIVED FORUM - ANY CHANGES ARE REVERTED HOURLY **

It is currently Mar 29, 2024 9:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tracy's HackMoor Campaign 2016/12/01
PostPosted: Dec 08, 2016 1:10 am 
Lord
Lord

We skipped 24 November due to U.S. Thanksgiving Day, this report is about December 1.

We had a Philly Cheese Steak pizza.

++++ START OF SESSION ++++

The party defeated the Leucrotta chowing down on Blake and then Aerys headed for the opening where the cry for "Help" was coming. Where of course, it was just another Leucrotta, mimicking Vixine's cry for help. Aerys was severely damaged, but the party defeated the second beast.

Upon attempting use a Cure Light Wounds spell on Aerys, the party found to its dismay it Elefus was all out of this spell. This meant of course they had to start using the more powerful Cure Moderate Wounds spell. A spell Elefus had fewer of. Apparently the party thought using higher level spells early on would be a waste so they concentrated on the lowest level spell.

The party started to search the area for any worthwhile treasure.

A wandering monster roll was made, so I had to tell the players they heard a voice and heavy footsteps approaching saying "Fee, fi, fo, fum, he, hi, ho, hum. I'm a most amazing guy, an amazing guy am I. ..." etc. as if it were a direct quote from a Disney cartoon.

++++ OUT OF CHEESE ERROR ++++

++++ DEBRIEFING ++++

Due to an out-of game-interruption the game was called. The Players who ostensibly absent for Vixine and Blake came in to say their good-byes, as they were moving out of state. They took pictures.

There was also a discussion on the efficacy of the Detect Evil spell. The Player's contention that it is not blocked by any thickness of walls and works up to the full range of the spell. (At least up to version 2 of D&D which HackMaster is based on.)

So yes that is true, the Detect Evil spell is not blocked by walls nor ceiling nor floors.

It only has a 10 foot width by 180 yards long. The spellcaster has to be still and concentrate.

Thus it could be argued, the spellcaster could slowly turn, or otherwise redirect in any direction and "scan" the surroundings.

Even so, it does not work on humans and demi-humans of less than 9th level. So still the attempt to track Vixine and Blake or their captors by use of this spell, was still bogus.

Fine, so the Party decided with slow turning, to at least use the spell to detect everything else in the dungeon.

Some Game Masters would even disallow the slow turn but I let it slide.

They had me going for awhile. I started marking Evil things on the map on their level. Then it came to turning the spell upwards and downwards to determine what was on other levels. I told them I'd save that for next session.

Then an out of game expert pointed out, that the Detect Evil spell does not give range to target. It "has" a range, of 180 Yards, but does not tell you how far along that path anything is detected. Any Evil detected could be 10 feet away, or it could be 480 feet away, any spell caster wouldn't know the difference.

Any points on the known map are hereby rescinded. They are theoretically replaced with lines to the source of the spell caster. So if it points to multiple rooms, there is no reasonable assurance which to room any evil is detected. In effect, the spell caster has to cast it again from another location, stand still and slowly turn, to triangulate any Evil to be detected.

This assumes any Evil does not move between the casting of the two spells.

BT

BBBB

++++ CHARACTER ROSTER ++++

PART 2.

CHARACTERS (New players on top.)
Grok the Dwarf, a third level Doughboy (Battlemage subclass).
Jacko, an Albino Dork Elf, a Probe (an Infiltrator, Thief subclass).
Aerys, an Elvariel, a Larcenist (Thief class).
Count Elefus, a human Abbot of Heimdall (Cleric class).
Baronet Huang - a Master of the North Wind of the Stone Tiger Order, (Monk class).

NPCs:
Baronetess Honda - a Human Datai Samurai, Steward of Catan (formerly Temple of the Frog)
Gnomex, a Gnome Brother of Geardal Ironhand (Cleric class.)
Sum Dum Gai - Brother of the Winds (Monk, Fighter subclass).
Gangnam Bang Mi - Sister of the Winds (Monk, Fighter subclass).
Sum Ting Wong - SheMale Brother/Sister of the Winds (Monk, fighter subclass).
Tanzen (new) a Fae-Born first level Pinger. (Fist level Invoker, a Magic User subclass).

MISSING or CAPTURED CHARACTERS (PCs or NPCs)
Blake, a human Creep (an Infiltrator, Thief subclass).
Vixine Numar, a human Sigil (a Chosen One, Cleric subclass).
Gargoyle (Elefus henchperson, demoted from Sidekick, out of town on business, acting as courier to BlackMoor).
Numrendir - a human Conjurist (a Conjuror, Magic User subclass) - Gone off to BlackMoor to check his Investment Account.
Junkbot Jackson - a human Tracker/Adept (a Ranger, Fighter subclass and Cleric).
Gerry Castagere, human Fingersmith, (Thief class) and ever loving devotee of Elefus.
Fundisha - a half-Elf Swordsperson/Tout (Fighter and Infiltrator, a Thief subclass).
Sir Weasel, human Guild Soldier, Warlock, & Champion (Thief, Magic User, & Fighter classes) he stayed back in BlackMoor.
- and nine Pilgrim henchmen of various levels. (They wear hoodies.)
Slade Wilson - Dwarven Professional (a Bounty Hunter, Fighter subclass) Left behind at Catan.

BT

BBBB

++++ RECORD KEEPING ++++

PART 3.

This is also posted on two forums, and a blog:
viewforum.php?f=76
http://www.furiouslyeclectic.com/forum/ ... php?fid=13
http://furiouslyeclectic.com/hackmoor/

NNNN