** ARCHIVED FORUM - ANY CHANGES ARE REVERTED HOURLY **

It is currently Mar 29, 2024 10:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tracy's HackMoor Campaign 2016/11/17
PostPosted: Nov 24, 2016 7:57 pm 
Lord
Lord

Games are on Thursday night sometime after 5:30PM at World's Best Comics, 9714 Warwick Blvd Newport News, Virginia 23601.

This week I was late and the party had ordered pizza and completed it before I could arrive.

++++ START OF SESSION ++++

Before we begin, we need to set the marching order of the party in order to explain the events to follow.

Caution: This is an area for which I also modified the map from the published dungeon.

Vixine and Blake took position by the secret door in the large room with a pool and where the crystal ceiling broke. (The same door the party went through.) The three Monk followers of Huang took positions in the thirty foot hall behind this same secret door leading up to this room. (The hallway was unmarked in the module, I had to relate it held a long table with two flanking chairs and 32 silver dishes. Previously the party marched down this hall as if it held nothing.) The rest of the party entered the following room:

They opened up the door and found a sumptuous purple furnished room with, purple divans, purple carpet, and purple hangings on the ceiling. There was also excellent mahogany wood armoire, coffee tables, and a bed with a purple bedspread.

There was also an obvious iron hatch that closed and locked with a wheel. The hatch was in the open position and there was a iron rung ladder going down.

Before deciding to go down the party took the time to loot the room of anything valuable. Of note there was a incomplete handwritten work entitled "Anarchy - Destruction for a New Age" by Belsorning. Next to it was a stylus and a bottle of ink. They also found another hooded silk purple robe more decorated than others previously found, it had stitched in gold thread an image of a demon, where it's pincers reached the front was a gold stitched circle decorated with a dozen gems.

Jacko put the robe on.

Checking out the tunnel going down they found it went across and came up to a similar room but not as well furnished with two beds. The other exit to this room led back to the pool.

The area by the secret door that Vixine and Blake were guarding was surrounded by an area of darkness. Upon further review Vixine and Blake were gone. The party then checked with the three Monks guarding the hallway behind it and asked if they heard anything.

"Yeah, we heard two subtile statements of "Surrender".

"Why didn't you do anything?" The party asked.

"Not in our job description." was the reply. "We were told to guard THIS room, not THAT room." (These Monks are Lawful Neutral.)

Scrambling to find the apparently captured Vixine and Blake, the party hit upon the idea of using a Detect Evil spell which lasts a Turn plus five rounds per level. (Upon later reading I discovered this ploy was bullshit, more later.) First, everything in the area detects as "evil" including the walls and air. The party convinced me some things are more evil than others, so using the "spell" they followed a retreating evil being going away at high speed.

First the party was led back through the room that they had found the Gargoyles and the Stone Golem and went through the large twenty foot wide doors that led to a self lit, two-tone 120 foot long, 20 foot wide hallway. With the first 60 feet starting in purple and fading to white at a 20 foot square intersection in the middle. Beyond that the color changed to red and growing deeper red at the far end.

The detect evil spell led them to the intersection to turn left into another set of double doors. The two first party members to reach the intersection were blown opposite into a portcullis by a rushing and mighty wind and took falling damage. The third party member, Jacko showed up and the wind stopped.

I told them it must have been Jacko's new robe. I was told that the entire party had donned similar robes found earlier. I had to mention Jacko's robe was better.

Following the trail through these new double doors into a large 80 foot octagonal room. I mentioned to the party something was really, REALLY, evil behind a secret door in this new room to the right. Nonetheless the party followed the trail of "evil" as if it were ground controlled intercept to the left. (I'll skip the description of this room as it is irrelevant to the story.) It led them to another secret door that turned left again and to a set of stairs going down.

The stairs led down to a smaller 40 foot wide hexagonal room with five doors. The "spell" led them to the opposite door. Rushing through that, they ended up in a 50 foot square room guarded by a rather stupid two-headed giant (an Ettin for the record).

The party paused for awhile as the Ettin ordered them to halt. He said he was told by some other important looking purple-girded fellow to not let anyone else through even if they are also wearing purple. The creature said the same person was accompanied by two other heavily armed guys and two prisoners, male and female.

The party "logic bombed" the Ettin. Similar to the way Norman was logic-bombed by Harcourt Fenton Mudd, in Star Trek. So they bypassed the Ettin. Additionally the four Trolls that were behind the other four doors the party bypassed in the other room were soon to follow. The Trolls and the Ettin don't get along.

Following the rapidly fading trail of "evil", the party chased down another diagonally hall and up some more stairs and turned left.

++++ OUT OF CHEESE ERROR ++++

Regarding the "Detect Evil" spell method of tracking. This would have worked had the target been 9th level or above. I read the spell and it does not "Detect Alignment" of normal characters, unless they are 9th level and are intent of Evil actions. For the record, the folks they were chasing were less than that. Effectively, the party got a freebie out of this.

BT

BBBB

++++ CHARACTER ROSTER ++++

PART 2.

CHARACTERS (New players on top.)
Grok the Dwarf, a third level Doughboy (Battlemage subclass).
Jacko, an Albino Dork Elf, a Probe (an Infiltrator, Thief subclass).
Aerys, an Elvariel, a Larcenist (Thief class).
Count Elefus, a human Abbot of Heimdall (Cleric class).
Baronet Huang - a Master of the North Wind of the Stone Tiger Order, (Monk class).

NPCs:
Baronetess Honda - a Human Datai Samurai, Steward of Catan (formerly Temple of the Frog)
Gnomex, a Gnome Brother of Geardal Ironhand (Cleric class.)
Sum Dum Gai - Brother of the Winds (Monk, Fighter subclass).
Gangnam Bang Mi - Sister of the Winds (Monk, Fighter subclass).
Sum Ting Wong - SheMale Brother/Sister of the Winds (Monk, fighter subclass).
Tanzen (new) a Fae-Born first level Pinger. (Fist level Invoker, a Magic User subclass).

MISSING or CAPTURED CHARACTERS (PCs or NPCs)
Blake, a human Creep (an Infiltrator, Thief subclass).
Vixine Numar, a human Sigil (a Chosen One, Cleric subclass).
Gargoyle (Elefus henchperson, demoted from Sidekick, out of town on business, acting as courier to BlackMoor).
Numrendir - a human Conjurist (a Conjuror, Magic User subclass) - Gone off to BlackMoor to check his Investment Account.
Junkbot Jackson - a human Tracker/Adept (a Ranger, Fighter subclass and Cleric).
Gerry Castagere, human Fingersmith, (Thief class) and ever loving devotee of Elefus.
Fundisha - a half-Elf Swordsperson/Tout (Fighter and Infiltrator, a Thief subclass).
Sir Weasel, human Guild Soldier, Warlock, & Champion (Thief, Magic User, & Fighter classes) he stayed back in BlackMoor.
- and nine Pilgrim henchmen of various levels. (They wear hoodies.)
Slade Wilson - Dwarven Professional (a Bounty Hunter, Fighter subclass) Left behind at Catan.

BT

BBBB

++++ RECORD KEEPING ++++

PART 3.

This is also posted on two forums, and a blog:
viewforum.php?f=76
http://www.furiouslyeclectic.com/forum/ ... php?fid=13
http://furiouslyeclectic.com/hackmoor/

NNNN