Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
[GH] Sormod's Parchment
GHWiki Wrote:Sormod. a merchant-adventurer from Perrenland, came into the possession of a scrap of parchment originally recovered from Blackmoor Castle. The parchment included directions to the Rainbow Vale, and Sormod set off to explore it in Richfest of CY 453. In CY 460, a journal purporting to be that of the expedition's magician, Henriki Ardand, surfaced in the Free City of Greyhawk. This text, whose veracity has not been confirmed, describes the group's journey to the vale and the extraordinary things they encountered there.

Source: http://www.canonfire.com/wiki/index.php?title=Rigodruok

Emphasis mine. I found the Blackmoor Castle reference interesting. Who is Sormod and who retrieved that parchment from the Castle? Furthermore, how did the parchment piece end up in the Castle in the first place?

GH scholars?

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Get Ripvanwormer to post over here!

- Without knowing the Dragon article, and without knowing the canonicity of the wiki article,
I'm not sure what to comment. AFAIK, official Blackmoor never ventured further north than Blackmoor (LoBI).
Rafael Wrote:Get Ripvanwormer to post over here!

- Without knowing the Dragon article, and without knowing the canonicity of the wiki article,
I'm not sure what to comment. AFAIK, official Blackmoor never ventured further north than Blackmoor (LoBI).

I assume you mean in GH canon now?
We know that Robert the Bald travelled to the Skandaharian Lands in the original Blackmoor campaign.

-Havard
Of course.

As to what GH sources I would use for BM, the answer is simple: NONE.
Moved to Beyond the Veil, where Greyhawk/Blackmoor connections are more appropriate.

I am still working to find out who Sormod was...

-Havard
Response:

ripvanwormer Wrote:1. Sormond is a "merchant and adventurer from Perrenland" who mounted an expedition to Rigodruok in 453 CY (123 years before Greyhawk Adventures was set). After escaping the valley, he was killed by a poisoned arrow in the Burneal Forest. There isn't anything more known.

2. We don't know who recovered the document from Blackmoor Castle, or how it ended up there. Sormond found it for sale in the city of Eru-Tovar to the south. In 453 CY, Blackmoor Town was still a relatively thriving place, the infamous dungeons of Castle Blackmoor open to adventurers, who had only to pay a Dungeoneer's Tax to the archbaron (the town was occupied by the Egg of Coot and its minions in the 540s CY). I think it must have been one of those adventuring parties who recovered the document from the dungeons beneath the castle. Probably an earlier adventuring party had made it to Rigodruok and back and then died in the dungeons of Castle Blackmoor, leaving their notes behind for later adventurers to discover.

3. And to answer Rafael's comment, everything in that article is canonical. The Dragon article doesn't contribute much to the story, other than suggesting that Zagig Yragerne might have created Rigodruok and secreted one of the Orbs of Dragonkind there. The name "Rigodruok" isn't used in that Dragon article explicitly. Most of it is from Greyhawk Adventures, with The Adventure Begins supplying information on the vale's precise dimensions and geographic location.

Source: http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopi ... 767#p89767

-Havard
There's an Egg of Coot in GH!?
Aldarron Wrote:There's an Egg of Coot in GH!?

Apparently so. And a City of the Gods. I believe both were added after the publication of the DA modules, but I could be mistaken.

-Havard
I believe it was before then. The Duchy of Te(h)n, Blackmoor, and the Egg of Coot (as a settlement) appear on a lot of the GH maps. I think they were all there in teh early days as Gary mapped the locales he played in onto his world. That would explain why the City of the Gods shows up in GH as well.
*Sheridan
Check out my latest projects: The Fey Codex (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/237056) and Heart and Soul (levels 5-10, https://www.dmsguild.com/product/252178).
[Image: Tolleen.png]
Yepp.

Basically, it's the C&C society version of Blackmoor - Tonisborg is where Vestfold stood,
and the Egg has just pushed the adventurers out of Blackmoor. (That's why there rule some orcs.)

I think it was mainly a move to get all available Arnesonian content copyrighted.