** ARCHIVED FORUM - ANY CHANGES ARE REVERTED HOURLY **

It is currently Apr 20, 2024 10:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: [Blog] Blackmoor Frog Monsters in the DDI?
PostPosted: Apr 03, 2013 1:31 pm 
Lord of the Regency Council
Lord of the Regency Council

Since they went electronic, I have stopped following the Dragon and Dungeon magazines. As I never got into 4E much, I don't subscribe to the DDI. However, I occationally browse those parts of the Wizards of the Coast Website that are accessible to everyone.

The cover of Dungeon #212 caught my attention! Could there be a Blackmoor article in an issue with a huge cool looking frog monster on the cover? Sadly we're not that lucky this time around. Undoubtedly the frog on the cover is a reference to the article The Village of Hommlet and the deadly Giant Frog encounter from Gary Gygax and Frank Mentzer's module Temple of Elemental Evil.

This got me wondering if Gary got the idea of this particular encounter from Dave Arneson's Temple of the Frog. It seems very likely that this was a nod to Dave from Gygax. I was lucky enough to chat with Frank Mentzer about this module a couple of years ago, and he even brought up the Moathouse and the Frog Encounter, but for some reason I forgot to ask him about a connection between the two classic modules. In any case, the Dungeon #212 cover has a sweet Blackmoor wibe!

Read full version here: http://blackmoormystara.blogspot.no/201 ... n-ddi.html

-Havard

Post subject: Re: [Blog] Blackmoor Frog Monsters in the DDI?
PostPosted: Apr 29, 2013 4:33 pm 
Serf
Serf

I have to wonder if the Froglok player race from Everquest/Everquest II was a nod to the bygone Killer Frogs from The Temple of the Frog module since EQ started off as literally a computerized version of the developer's D&D game. I'd be willing to bet the Bullywug of Greyhawk was just a ported-over version of Temple frogs.