** ARCHIVED FORUM - ANY CHANGES ARE REVERTED HOURLY **

It is currently Apr 23, 2024 9:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Busy Week for Arneson Fans
PostPosted: May 06, 2012 12:06 pm 
Lord of the Regency Council

So much has happened over the course of this week I dont really know where to start. First there is the relevation that Arneson's personal library is to be sold on an auction. I am filled with a mix of joy that this material will be taken care of and a feeling of concern if these documents are to be locked into some vault, never to be seen again.

Then there is Aldarron's excellent analysis of another obscure Arneson document; the manuscript for Beyond This Point Be Dragons. That Arneson had prepared a kind of alternate D&D that noone really knew about is pretty amazing. Aldarron has provided a great analysis of the work, but I am also wondering about the things not mentioned in that analysis. Could there be more lore about Blackmoor there?

Also from Aldarron, the Champions of ZED project is up on kickstarter with over 50 backers already. This "Zero edition" game will also incorporates elements from Beyond this Point Be Dragons. At the same time, poster RadagastTheBrown is working on another project for a system based on Arneson inspired combat.

On a less Blackmoor related note, Bruce Heard recently posted his long awaited treatsy on the Goatmen of Kavaja for the Mystara setting.

With all of this happening, I am so busy reading that I hardly have time to write! I promise you though, there will be more thoughts on all of these topics in the days to come!

Full version on the blog: http://blackmoormystara.blogspot.com/20 ... -fans.html

-Havard

Post subject: Re: Busy Week for Arneson Fans
PostPosted: May 14, 2012 8:41 am 
Yeoman
Yeoman

Allow me to add some intrigue to this story....

I learned about the auction and it was very sad to hear. I can only wish things had gone differently...

While I'm certain that there are wonderful treasures contained within (which largely comprise the contents of Dave's apartment he kept in Orlando), they do not contain all the treasures...

Years prior to Dave's death, he made a focused trip back to Minnesota. He went to retrieve some very specific items. For some it was copies of his original White Box editions of D&D. For me, it came in the form of 4 boxes. These boxes, imo, contained the most interesting items in his collection. Dave gave these items to me to preserve because he said I would "know what to do with them".

While I have no intention of selling these items, I'm also not completely ready to discuss the contents. The news of this auction has rekindled my interest in the boxes of materials and I will be looking forward to sharing those with the members of this forum in due time.

Beyond that, I've seen many of the items in the auction on eBay and I'm happy to say that "yep, that looks like Dave's stuff".

Uther, Once and Always.

PostPosted: May 15, 2012 4:39 am 

Wow Dustin,
you have my attention! This is very intriguing! I also really appreciate that you are keeping in touch with our community about these things! :)

Have you taken a look at the document yet? Its not part of the auction (AFAIK), but also believed to be authored by Arneson.

-Havard

PostPosted: May 15, 2012 10:09 am 
Yeoman
Yeoman

I am familiar with the document. I've also reviewed the analysis on the site. There's a lot of good research in there. I'm not sure I agree with all of the conclusions, but I want to read it all through a few more times before I make any hasty decision.

PostPosted: May 15, 2012 12:13 pm 
Count
Count

'blog https://www.blogger.com/home