Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
[Blog] Rare Blackmoor Manuscript Sold for $787
http://blackmoormystara.blogspot.com/20 ... r-787.html

A rare manuscript from 1985 by Dave Arneson and David J Ritchie was just sold on ebay for 787,77 US$. The manuscript was titled Aventures in Thonia, and was the basis for module DA1 (Adventures in Blackmoor). However, the manuscript is roughly 250 pages and DA1 is only 64 pages. The sold item also included 28 single-page maps, 2 single-page map text inserts, and 2 double-sheet (11x17) maps.

If the lucky buyer is among my readers, please call me! Smile

More details:

ebay Wrote:Adventures in Thonia: Editors' Production Manuscript

…which became D&D module DA1, TSR #9172, by David Arneson & David Ritchie. (No, Mr. Arneson's handwriting does not appear in this manuscript; this was in-house TSR.)

Unique item, obviously as rare as it can possibly get.

Condition: Slightly worn, corner dings & some dog-ears; lots of writing in red ink (editors' original notes). Cover sheets have more dirt than the rest, and bottom-of-the-pile sheets have more wrinkles.

Commentary: First someone had to input the original notes from Dave Arneson into the TSR mainframe computer. I would guess it was the late Dave Ritchie, co-author of the work. (Mr. Arneson was well-known for producing fragmented output containing outstanding ideas; someone else had to do the rigorous work of constructing most of the sentences and paragraphs.) Then the editing began, as shown in this unique manuscript.

Section 1 (about 250+ pages): 1986 photocopies (grayish white) of the original input text. Some are marked "Chronicles of Thonia"; many are marked "The Comeback Inn"; some are "Blackmoor Characters". Almost all are marked "© 1985 David L. Arneson" or "C. D.Arneson".

Note: Routine editing/development probably occurred prior to this output. Few changes are marked on these pages.

Section 2 (about 250+ pages): Original 1986 TSR printer output (the beige of 25-year-old paper), with many editor's notes (by Deborah C. Ritchie) in red ink.

Section 3 (32 pages): photocopies of assorted maps. Includes 28 single-page maps, 2 single-page map text inserts, and 2 double-sheet (11x17) maps.

NOTE: More than 525 pages; weight about 7 pounds plus packaging. Please WAIT for final invoice (which will include special Insurance, given the nature of this item). The estimated cost (flat rate box) within the continental USA, with insurance, is $25.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
MAPS? MAPS!

Please, please ... MAPS!!

Did I mention I'd be interesting in seeing the maps?

Smile
[Image: JamesPren.png]

Davey Carter Human Swordmaster
Tales from the Vales

View my maps on flickr | Blackmoor Maps on Dropbox | Wilderlands Maps on Dropbox
We'd all love to get a peek at that doccument.

Sigh. Cry
Marv / Finarvyn
Member of The Regency Council
Visit my Blackmoor OD&D board
OD&D since 1975

"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
- Dave Arneson

[Image: Giladan.png]
Dave L Wrote:MAPS? MAPS!

Please, please ... MAPS!!

Did I mention I'd be interesting in seeing the maps?

Smile

I suspect that this manuscript was in fact not only the draft for DA1, but also for the rest of the DA series. The maps would likely have been the maps from all of the DA modules, perhaps including maps for DA5, which could include maps of the Blackmoor Dungeon.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Any idea who the buyer was?