Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
[BECMI] Class: Arcane Warrior
Arcane Warriors are individuals who combine training in arcane magic and combat ability. Many, but not all Arcane Warriors are trained by the Wizards Cabal and serve that organization.

Under the Classic D&D rules, use the Elf Class with the following exceptions:
  • Arcane Warriors are humans, but progress as elves.
  • May advance as Elves up to 36th level as per the RC appendix
  • Do not have Infravision, the abilities to detect hidden doors, Immunity to Ghoul Paralysis or long life span of elves.
  • At Name Level, may construct a stronghold and attract folllowers similar to fighters rather than elves.
  • Have access to magic user spells, but not special elf spells such as found in Gaz5 the Elves of Alfheim.
  • Use D8 for HP, instead of D6, and gain +2 HP per level beyond 9th level. (same as fighter)

The above is my suggested BECMI conversion of the Arcane Warrior Class which first appeared in the D20 Blackmoor Campaign Sourcebook by Zeitgeist Games.

Thoughts?

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Havard Wrote:Arcane Warriors are individuals who combine training in arcane magic and combat ability. Many, but not all Arcane Warriors are trained by the Wizards Cabal and serve that organization.

• Do not have Infravision, the abilities to detect hidden doors, Immunity to Ghoul Paralysis or long life span of elves.
  • At Name Level, may construct a stronghold and attract folllowers similar to fighters rather than elves.
  • Have access to magic user spells, but not special elf spells such as found in Gaz5 the Elves of Alfheim.
  • Use D8 for HP, instead of D6, and gain +2 HP per level beyond 9th level. (same as fighter)

The above is my suggested BECMI conversion of the Arcane Warrior Class which first appeared in the D20 Blackmoor Campaign Sourcebook by Zeitgeist Games.
Thoughts?

-Havard
Would you allow use of the "Magic Learned Later in Life" chart from the Hollow World Player's Guide if a player wanted to have his/her warrior join the order after a few levels as "just a fighter?"
Rob
[Image: Trista-Thronesig-zps94e26f1f.png]
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | twitter | The Blog
RobJN Wrote:Would you allow use of the "Magic Learned Later in Life" chart from the Hollow World Player's Guide if a player wanted to have his/her warrior join the order after a few levels as "just a fighter?"

Hmmm... maybe. I also considered another option alltogether for this class, which would be to instead base it on the BECMI Paladin/Avenger model...

What do you think? Smile

-Havard
Havard Wrote:
RobJN Wrote:Would you allow use of the "Magic Learned Later in Life" chart from the Hollow World Player's Guide if a player wanted to have his/her warrior join the order after a few levels as "just a fighter?"

Hmmm... maybe. I also considered another option alltogether for this class, which would be to instead base it on the BECMI Paladin/Avenger model...

What do you think? Smile

-Havard
That's another consideration, but it could take an awfully long time to reach Name level to make the hop to Paladin/Avenger. Then again, with 36 levels available, it doesn't seem like that much of a "wait" considering the road ahead after 9th. And actually making it to Name level before being allowed to schmooze with the Wizards Cabal would weed out those "unworthy."

Also, now that I think about it -- the Paladin/Avenger route keeps the elf in its rather unique "I can haz swordz AND magick!" position. (I think the "Forester" class sort of cheapened the whole niche that elves fill) Let the humans-with-swords who want magic work for it for a bit before they get it Wink
Rob
[Image: Trista-Thronesig-zps94e26f1f.png]
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | twitter | The Blog
I like it as is. (except I was never a fan of the must be level x to build stronghold and attract followers rule - that's a gygaxianism that's plain silly).
Aldarron Wrote:I like it as is. (except I was never a fan of the must be level x to build stronghold and attract followers rule - that's a gygaxianism that's plain silly).

Agreed. I put it in there to keep it consistant with the existing rules, and also emphasize that Arcane Warriors dont build Tree Houses and befriend animals etc.

But I never treated this rule too strictly in my games. If the PCs get together the funds to construct a stronghold and manage to persuade people to come with them before Name Level I will always let them do so. The way I played it, a Name Level character just has less of a hard time accomplishing it.

Thanks for the feedback! Smile

-Havard
Havard Wrote:Arcane Warriors are individuals who combine training in arcane magic and combat ability. Many, but not all Arcane Warriors are trained by the Wizards Cabal and serve that organization.

Thoughts?

-Havard
That's nearly identical to the "Ranger" in one of the Gaz boxed sets. Except that they retain the d6. It's the midpoint between BECMI fighter d8 and Wizard d4.
Aramis_Erak Wrote:That's nearly identical to the "Ranger" in one of the Gaz boxed sets. Except that they retain the d6. It's the midpoint between BECMI fighter d8 and Wizard d4.

Yep. I believe the one you are referring to is the Forester Class from Dawn of the Emperors. IMO that Forester Class is a bit underpowered, which is why I allowed this one to use a d8. IMC I also allow Foresters the use of a d8. This means that the only difference between Foresters and Arcane Warriors is in their background.

-Havard