Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
Dungeon Crawl Classic RPG Blackmoor?
Any of you following DCC new rpg? It's a lot like old school D&D with a ton of extra things thrown in to create a swords and sorcery type atmosphere. One of my players just slapped down the free down-loadable rules and put it forth for our up and coming Blackmoor game.

Now the actual finished rules do not come out till Feb but I think with these I could make something work. I am blessed/cursed with players who have never even heard of Blackmoor so there isn't anyone but me to judge how close I come to the mark with a DCC Blackmoor. Still I wonder if any of you have thoughts on the matter?
I have started a campaign with DCCRPG in the Known Realms setting. I find this game very excellent for this clever balance between OSR and new style D&D.

All classes are interesting specially for the wizard and Elf Class. An adaptation of DCCRPG for the Blackmoor setting will be great.
Yeah I am thinking a DCC Blackmoor game could really work out. I really like the idea of starting off with the funnel of 4 zero level characters each and letting the players play guardsman of Castle Blackmoor when something deadly evil and fun happens!

It would take some work on races,steam powered engines,clocks,Turning Egg of Coot into a Patron,at least two other patrons,reworking a little bit of the God/cleric stuff into Blackmoor specific,The Cabel, I think its doable to be honest. I am not done with the rule book yet but I'm really starting to like the idea.

The max level is 10 also really grabs me.
Mythlym Wrote:../..Turning Egg of Coot into a Patron../..
Great idea ! Excellent :twisted:
Sounds cool!

Goodman Games have made alot of great stuff. Also, they were the publisher of some of the best Blackmoor products in the D20 Era. The DCC RPG sounds interesting, though some of the ideas, such as use of unusual dice is a bit too quirky for my tastes...

What's a patron? Smile

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Magic Users have Patrons in DCCRPG. Most are Demons and Devils that teach/bestow power for service/souls/whatever. Now some Powerful Entities such as the Elf King ect can also do so.

I think in Blackmoor the Egg of Coot would make a GREAT Patron. His followers/Thralls/Sorcerers would gain favor with him by harming Blackmoor! Also as in most things magical in DCC the Patron often (Taints) those who pledge to them.

In The Egg of Coot's case the more his pledges gained in power the more Egg like they would become. Leading them to talk in Rhyme,seek the Death of Blackmoors king or other evil foul plots that perhaps they wouldn't have done on there own.
Mythlym Wrote:Magic Users have Patrons in DCCRPG. Most are Demons and Devils that teach/bestow power for service/souls/whatever. Now some Powerful Entities such as the Elf King ect can also do so.

Oh, I like that sort of thing. Pretty interesting.

Quote: I think in Blackmoor the Egg of Coot would make a GREAT Patron. His followers/Thralls/Sorcerers would gain favor with him by harming Blackmoor! Also as in most things magical in DCC the Patron often (Taints) those who pledge to them.

Agreed. From the sound of it, he would be perfect. Who would be good cadindates for Good magic users? Perhaps Insellageth the Dragongod?

Quote:In The Egg of Coot's case the more his pledges gained in power the more Egg like they would become. Leading them to talk in Rhyme,seek the Death of Blackmoors king or other evil foul plots that perhaps they wouldn't have done on there own.

Great ideas. Talk in Rhyme? Big Grin

-Havard
I don't know where but I always got the idea that the Egg of Coot was something else. Kinda like some Dark Cthulluish crfeature that has a vast intellect and magical might but is totally alien. Something from beyond.Also a creature with incredible mental powers(psionics maybe?).

Now when dealing with such a bizarre,powerful and almost toxic(to the mind and soul) being I figured people would go insane pretty fast. The more Egg like they became the more inhuman would be there thoughts and behavior. This is one of the reasons perhaps his minions do not succeed for long in acting incognito and why so many of them being otherwise intelligent wizards end up resorting to flinging raw power about and overtly destroying everything.

I thought I read some of that and just expanded on it. Maybe I didn't though and just
Mythlym Wrote:I don't know where but I always got the idea that the Egg of Coot was something else. Kinda like some Dark Cthulluish crfeature that has a vast intellect and magical might but is totally alien. Something from beyond.Also a creature with incredible mental powers(psionics maybe?).

Noone knows what the Egg of Coot really was. The FFC is deliberately vague, presenting many possibilities. That said, I envision something similar to what you are describing here.

Quote:Now when dealing with such a bizarre,powerful and almost toxic(to the mind and soul) being I figured people would go insane pretty fast. The more Egg like they became the more inhuman would be there thoughts and behavior. This is one of the reasons perhaps his minions do not succeed for long in acting incognito and why so many of them being otherwise intelligent wizards end up resorting to flinging raw power about and overtly destroying everything.

I like it! Smile

Quote: I thought I read some of that and just expanded on it. Maybe I didn't though and just

?

-Havard
As Patron, the Egg of Coot can deliver specials spells to wizard and elf (as Elf Class). I am sure that these spells will have weird effect on the caster :twisted: