Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
"The Lands West of Blackmoor": Lulu, 2008.
Published in Fight On! Issue #3 Fall 2008.

Quote:The premier fanzine for the old-school renaissance comes out swinging with a +5 vorpal claymore of disintegration! Produced in honor of Bob Bledsaw and in cooperation with Judges Guild, we have new material for the Wilderlands of High Fantasy by James Mishler and Rob Conley and a new circle of Inferno by Geoffrey O. Dale! Also features art and/or articles by David Bowman, Jason Morningstar, Gabor Lux, Len Cain, Jeff Rients, Patrick Farley, Vincent Baker, Baz Blatt, Max Davenport, Steve Zieser, Kevin Mayle, Lee Barber, Del Beaudry, John Miskimen, Age of Fable, Calithena, and many, many more! Whether you started in 1974 or 2008, you won't want to miss this issue. Unlock your imagination, and keep Fighting On!

http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/f ... ch_results

Accompanied by a free map, available here:

http://www.lulu.com/product/images-down ... ch_results
1 of 5 smashed Afridhi skulls.

I am going to be open about it: I didn't like it too much.

I must say, It seemed too random for my personal taste,
and since the DA series already gives some indication about what to expect outside BM's regular maps, I'd maybe pass.

It might fit in better with the original JG material and the FFC, but let's be honest, noone uses that alone as a base for a campaign any more.
Is this possibly Wilderlands trying to reinvent itself, without the connection to Blackmoor holding it back?
Havard and I have had a discussion of how his map might extend westwards while still taking this map into consideration.

As it goes to the north of map 2 of the WL campaign, there's still some room to work with it, once the location of the Great Glacier has been nailed down.

I haven't bought the article though, just drawn the map as part of my WL project.
[Image: JamesPren.png]

Davey Carter Human Swordmaster
Tales from the Vales

View my maps on flickr | Blackmoor Maps on Dropbox | Wilderlands Maps on Dropbox
Dave L Wrote:Havard and I have had a discussion of how his map might extend westwards while still taking this map into consideration.

As it goes to the north of map 2 of the WL campaign, there's still some room to work with it, once the location of the Great Glacier has been nailed down.

I haven't bought the article though, just drawn the map as part of my WL project.

I think that Robert S. Conley's maps work independently of this. I've bought Suppliment VI: The Majestic Wilderlands and I think that product works with all of his maps (although I think he reboots the sizes of his hexes for his own version of Wilderlands).
His map 19 was designed to fit to the north of map 2 - the terrain matches up.

The Majestic Wilderlands however is to the east of the Wilderlands of High Fantasy - which would infringe upon Blackmoor, unless we moved the Wilderlands waaaaay to the west.
[Image: JamesPren.png]

Davey Carter Human Swordmaster
Tales from the Vales

View my maps on flickr | Blackmoor Maps on Dropbox | Wilderlands Maps on Dropbox
Dave L Wrote:His map 19 was designed to fit to the north of map 2 - the terrain matches up.

The Majestic Wilderlands however is to the east of the Wilderlands of High Fantasy - which would infringe upon Blackmoor, unless we moved the Wilderlands waaaaay to the west.

Hmm. Interesting. I thought that Majestic Wilderlands was an alternate Wilderlands. I didn't think it was a replacement for Blackmoor.

Anyhoo, back to the topic, I just noticed that this issue of Fight On! is included in a special edition product called: Fight On! Compendium - Issues 1-4 Hardbound!

I don't know what other Blackmoor information might be contained in issues 1, 2 and 4, but anyone who is a fan, might want to consider this limited edition hardback (which for some reason is only on sale this June).
Any other opinions on this?

I might be somewhat like the staff reviewer, but my opinions are not exclusive or above criticism.