Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
"D&D Supplement II: Blackmoor": TSR, 1975.
[Image: ArnesonBlackmoorSupplementIICover.jpg]

Quote:Additional Rules for Fantastic Medieval Wargame Campaigns Playable With Paper and Pencil and Miniature Figures.

http://www.blackmoor.mystara.us/pdfs/D& ... 004%29.pdf
4 of 5 smashed Afridhi skulls.

ZOMG Rafe haz t3h sacriledge!!!

The book was surely good enough, but people who read it today will probably - like me - find it to meager and to irrelevant.

The whole OD&D rules were put better somewhere else; the dungeon maps, however, are nifty, entertaining, and make for one of the better dungeoncrawls you can have.

But like most of BM, not for everyone.
Rafael Wrote:http://www.blackmoor.mystara.us/pdfs/D& ... 20(TSR2004).pdf

The forum is not passing that link properly (as it has "illegal characters in it").

I've tried surrounding it with URL tags, with and without quotes, but that doesn't work either. I think it would be possible to find the % codes for the open and close bracket characters, but that is not going to solve the problem for people trying to repost the link elsewhere.

Is there any chance that the document could be put up again with a "non-illegal" URL (i.e. with "&", "(", ")" and all the spaces removed)?
Rafael Wrote:The book was surely good enough, but people who read it today will probably - like me - find it to meager and to irrelevant.

The whole OD&D rules were put better somewhere else; the dungeon maps, however, are nifty, entertaining, and make for one of the better dungeoncrawls you can have.

This book, and Suppliment I: Greyhawk, remind me of the way that WotC later did the same mixing of core rules and setting in the 3e PHB. That has the "Greyhawk-lite" thing going on.

Would you say this is an OD&D version of "Blackmoor-lite"?
Big Mac Wrote:
Rafael Wrote:http://www.blackmoor.mystara.us/pdfs/D& ... 20(TSR2004).pdf

The forum is not passing that link properly (as it has "illegal characters in it").

I've tried surrounding it with URL tags, with and without quotes, but that doesn't work either. I think it would be possible to find the % codes for the open and close bracket characters, but that is not going to solve the problem for people trying to repost the link elsewhere.

Is there any chance that the document could be put up again with a "non-illegal" URL (i.e. with "&", "(", ")" and all the spaces removed)?

No idea. You have mod powers now. Go and try. :twisted:
Big Mac Wrote:
Rafael Wrote:The book was surely good enough, but people who read it today will probably - like me - find it to meager and to irrelevant.

This book, and Suppliment I: Greyhawk, remind me of the way that WotC later did the same mixing of core rules and setting in the 3e PHB. That has the "Greyhawk-lite" thing going on.

Not so much. FTR, I don't think there is "Greyhawk-lite" either. :wink: Just rape of the setting.
Big Mac Wrote:Is there any chance that the document could be put up again with a "non-illegal" URL (i.e. with "&", "(", ")" and all the spaces removed)?

I will see what I can do Smile

Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Big Mac Wrote:This book, and Suppliment I: Greyhawk, remind me of the way that WotC later did the same mixing of core rules and setting in the 3e PHB. That has the "Greyhawk-lite" thing going on.

Hmmm...not really sure what you mean. Supplement I had very little to do with Greyhawk, other than the name. Blackmoor was the first supplement that had much in the way of setting material published at all.

Havard
Havard Wrote:
Big Mac Wrote:This book, and Suppliment I: Greyhawk, remind me of the way that WotC later did the same mixing of core rules and setting in the 3e PHB. That has the "Greyhawk-lite" thing going on.

Hmmm...not really sure what you mean. Supplement I had very little to do with Greyhawk, other than the name. Blackmoor was the first supplement that had much in the way of setting material published at all.

Do you own the 3rd edition D&D PHB? I'm referring to the way that that book uses a very small number of Greyhawk elements (with the 3e deities being the GH-lite element that stands out the most).
Big Mac Wrote:Do you own the 3rd edition D&D PHB? I'm referring to the way that that book uses a very small number of Greyhawk elements (with the 3e deities being the GH-lite element that stands out the most).

Yep. I know what you mean. It is hard to compare to Supp II, because it is done in a very different manner, but I guess primarily it would be the same thing.

Havard