Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
Blackmoor Fiction
I am trying to collect a list of Fiction set in Blackmoor:

Blackmoor Fiction:
  • Kuntz, Robert J (with David L Arneson): Robilar Remembers: Journey to the City of the Gods (also published in Oerth Journal #6)
  • Stroh, Harley: Night in Maus (3 part series - later reprinted in the Wizards Cabal)
  • Stroh, Harley: Son of Flame, Son of Hak (2 part series, later included in Riders of Hak)
  • Svenson, Greg: The Great Svenny
  • Svenson, Greg: The First Dungeon Adventure: Orc's Bane (also published in Dungeons of Castle Blackmoor)

Associated Fiction:
  • Van Vogt, A.E: The Black Destroyer
  • Van Vogt, A. E: Voyage of the Space Beagle
  • Norton, Andre: Quag Keep
  • Norton, Andre: Return to Quag Keep
  • Gunnarson, Thorarinn: Dragonlord of Mystara (set 3500 years after Uther's Reign)
  • Gunnarson, Thorarinn: Dragonking of Mystara (set 3500 years after Uther's Reign)
  • Gunnarson, Thorarinn: Dragonmage of Mystara (set 3500 years after Uther's Reign)

Fiction Inspired by Dave Arneson's Blackmoor

Is there anything else out there written that could be semi-related to Blackmoor, such as novels written for Greyhawk or Mystara?

I decided AE Van Vogt's works, as associated fiction, but I also don't want to get this list confused with the reading list discussion, that dealing more with what inspired the setting.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
If your question pertains to anything actually Blackmoor in content, I suspect your list is pretty accurate. To my knowledge, Dave never wrote any books about the setting the way Gary did with his Gord series. That's unfortunate, since Blackmoor was such an interesting setting.

If you want to include anything with Blackmoor in it at all, I believe that BM is mentioned in passing in Quag Keep. Perhaps other Mystara novels would have a reference as well, although those are pretty weak as "Blackmoor fiction" sources.

Havard Wrote:
  • Stroh, Harley: Night in Maus (3 part series)
  • Stron, Harley: Son of Flame, Son of Hak (3 part series
I know I have one or both of these. Can you remind me where they can be found? (I'm pretty sure it's Night in Maus I have, but can't recall if I've ever read Son of Flame, Son of Hak.)
Marv / Finarvyn
Member of The Regency Council
Visit my Blackmoor OD&D board
OD&D since 1975

"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
- Dave Arneson

[Image: Giladan.png]
finarvyn Wrote:If your question pertains to anything actually Blackmoor in content, I suspect your list is pretty accurate. To my knowledge, Dave never wrote any books about the setting the way Gary did with his Gord series. That's unfortunate, since Blackmoor was such an interesting setting.

That would have been great. But at least I am glad that Harley Stroh wrote his fiction for Blackmoor when Dave never did. We could perhaps also include Greg Svenson's published for web "memoirs" about the Great Svenny?

Quote:If you want to include anything with Blackmoor in it at all, I believe that BM is mentioned in passing in Quag Keep.

I have gotten a copy of Quag Keep and its sequel, but I have still to read them. If it is just mentioned in passing, I think it may be hard to consider them Blackmoor fiction.

Does any Greyhawk fiction go into the Duchy of Tenh? I think not, but if so perhaps we could have looked more closely into it.

Quote: Perhaps other Mystara novels would have a reference as well, although those are pretty weak as "Blackmoor fiction" sources.

The ones I can think of is the Dragonlord Trilogy, but it is not set in the Blackmoor Era. Blackmoor is referenced quite a bit as an age long gone, from whence many powerful artifacts still exist. It is said that the first Dragonlord lived in the Blackmoor Era, while the protagonist of the series is the second to take up the Dragonlord's weapons and armor. Come to think of it, I wonder if this could actually have been the armor of the Blue Rider... Anyway, I agree that we cannot consider it Blackmoor canon.

Havard Wrote:
  • Stroh, Harley: Night in Maus (3 part series)
  • Stron, Harley: Son of Flame, Son of Hak (3 part series
I know I have one or both of these. Can you remind me where they can be found? (I'm pretty sure it's Night in Maus I have, but can't recall if I've ever read Son of Flame, Son of Hak.)[/quote]

Night in Maus appeared in the Wizards Cabal and Son of Flame appeared in Riders of Hak. I will edit my original post to include these.

Was any fiction ever written for the Wilderlands?

-Havard
No fiction for the Wilderlands that I'm aware of offhand. I may try to wade back through my Dungeoneer/Judges Guild Journal/Dungeoneer Journal/Pegasus/whatever magazines to see if there is any short fiction set in the Wilderlands there. I think that would be our best bet.

And I just don't know enough about Mystara to really know which eras were BM eras or not. I have copies of the gazeteers but never really read them much. I bought them because they were cool, and keep them because they are cool, but I don't really play that edition of D&D much so I don't often think to dust them off and read them.
Marv / Finarvyn
OD&D since 1975

- Dave Arneson

finarvyn Wrote:No fiction for the Wilderlands that I'm aware of offhand. I may try to wade back through my Dungeoneer/Judges Guild Journal/Dungeoneer Journal/Pegasus/whatever magazines to see if there is any short fiction set in the Wilderlands there. I think that would be our best bet.

Cool, let us know if you find anything.

Quote:And I just don't know enough about Mystara to really know which eras were BM eras or not. I have copies of the gazeteers but never really read them much. I bought them because they were cool, and keep them because they are cool, but I don't really play that edition of D&D much so I don't often think to dust them off and read them.

The Gazetteers is the heart of the Mystara setting. They are indeed very cool. Mystara incorporated Blackmoor as part of its history. It assumes that King Uther's Blackmoor existed thousands of years before the Gazetteer period.

What this really means is that they are basically two different worlds, but that they can be connected by time travel adventures rather than plane shifting. Also ruins and artifacts found on Mystara are some times believed to be from Blackmoor.

Personally I think this is pretty cool. It is sort of an analogy for how Arneson's spirit lives on in the later rulesets, so does parts of Blackmoor remain in the setting that was the default for the B/X & BECMI rules. 8)

-Havard
Which Gazeteers (if any) have any actual details about the Mystara version Blackmoor?
Marv / Finarvyn
OD&D since 1975

- Dave Arneson

Apart from Stroh, there's nothing.

And to include stuff Mr Arneson essentially ripped from other writers...

If you want this board have invaded by hordes of angry fans from sci-fi.com saying nasty things about your genitalia,
go ooooooooon. :wink:

The Dragonlord trilogy is actually not a bad bet, though. - More likely to be useful than the other books, no question.

In my own home campaign, I have experimented a bit with that one.

........And since there is no freaking way to withhold ANYTHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING from the person I in situations like these usually refer to
as "that damn viking", yeah, the Dragonlord Chronicles are from what I mostly draw for post-apocalypse Blackmoor - inside and out of the LFC. - Why? Because the only iconic place in the setting that our ongoing game so far doesn't touch is "The City of the Dragonfather", and the connections one can build between both are fairly strong.

Any possible sequels of "The Promised Land" would likely deal with this.
(You might remember a few hints from the LFC timeline doc.)

To quote Mystaran icon Lo Zompatore:

Quote:3000 BC: A craft from Blackmoor lands on Patera which triggers the Great Rain of Fire. After the planet shifts it's rotation the Dragons come out of hiding, once again the mightiest of creatures.

Before you fret, yes, discuss that as you will - there is no possible, conceivable way that the party will IC ever know or reach the city, if simply because they don't know about it, and have other things to do.

Also, I intentionally wanted to leave ONE plotline open, given that the campaign already deals with the Egg, the Westryn, the Afridhi, and the Thonians. Smile

And while I am on it, now completely hijacking the thread, in one sentence, a sequel to The Promised Land would focus on an expedition to the City of the Dragonfather, the Dragonlord of Mystara novels, and a "The New Shadow", a short story fragment by Tolkien, which in itself would have been the base for a sequel to "The Lord of the Rings".

The reason why I will likely always abstain from it (at least at this present moment in time) is simply that a lot of my PBP DMing style is mainly based on giving very cheap recognition reflexes plus cheapshot stories. :wink: And to do that well, I would have to read through so much of the Mystara canon that it would likely take me years to prepare.

But to contribute something to the actual discussion other than telling you how awesome I am,
I think the SECOND D&D movie contained an actual Blackmoor reference. - AND it should be available as a novel, like the first one.
- Just if Havard looks for stuff for his list... Smile
In that vein, it's so easy to create a link between WL's Dragonkings, the Dragonfather, and the Dragonlords.

But I don't have my materials on me, so that I'll leave for you to research...
finarvyn Wrote:Which Gazeteers (if any) have any actual details about the Mystara version Blackmoor?

I have started a thread about this here:
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=875&p=9529#p9529

-Havard
Rafael Wrote:Apart from Stroh, there's nothing.

Yep. One of the reasons why I started this thread was actually to give some attention to Stroh's short stories.

Quote:The Dragonlord trilogy is actually not a bad bet, though. - More likely to be useful than the other books, no question.

More about this later.

Quote:But to contribute something to the actual discussion other than telling you how awesome I am,
I think the SECOND D&D movie contained an actual Blackmoor reference. - AND it should be available as a novel, like the first one.
- Just if Havard looks for stuff for his list... Smile

I have the novelization. While there are some tangible connections between the movie and Blackmoor (and more so Mystara), I am careful not to exaggerate its importance. I will still use it for research, by all means, but I also will not make it seem any more important than it is.

-Havard