Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
Blackmoor's Dwoemer Realm
[Image: 37375427862_9929662758.jpg]

What is Blackmoor's Dwoemer Realm?
I am still learning about this, but from what I understand, the Dwoemer Realm was a new subsetting for Blackmoor developed by the Blackmoor MMRPG team and the Design Team known as Terror Incorporated.

Dwoemer or Dweomer?
Dweomer is a term from Norse Mythology later adopted for D&D by Gary Gygax. The Dwoemer Realm of Blackmoor has a different spelling though, possibly for it to potentially be copyrighted later down the line or perhaps there are other meanings to this name yet unknown to me.

What else is known about Blackmoor's Dwoemer Realm?
I know that it was designed as a campaigning area designed for high level gaming. I also believe it was found underground and was a kind of Underdark Setting for Blackmoor. More on this will be revealed in the coming days and as I study the material available to me.

If anyone here knows more about this and wants to share, feel free to do so! Smile

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Judging from this setup's familiarity to the underworld region of another popular franchise, I am going to suppose that this one never saw publication because Terror Inc. took an arrrow to the knee. :wink:
Rafael Wrote:Judging from this setup's familiarity to the underworld region of another popular franchise, I am going to suppose that this one never saw publication because Terror Inc. took an arrrow to the knee. :wink:

LOL! Big Grin

I am a huge fan of Skyrim and the Dwemer lands of that franchise are definitely fascinating to explore. Blackmoor's Dwoemer Realm predates Skyrim (2011) by several years though. I suppose Elder Scrolls is much older than that, but I dont know if the Dwemer were as promient in earlier games?

I don't know if it was ever intended for traditional publication. It was instead created mainly to be used with the Blackmoor MMRPG. I believe the related modules, which are found in Season 4 (Coming very soon at The Comeback Inn) were played at conventions, but they were never made available at the website.

-Havard
More details from Phllip Slama who was the leader of the Terror Inc group:

Phillip Slama Wrote:Greg, Ramon, Matt and I came up with the concept.

I think each module had a disclaimer that Greg and I put on them! Basically it said you can die, we pulled no punches, lol.

Basically we couldn't really alter the world above too much so we went underneath it since nothing describes it.

We put a bunch of crazy races down there, tried to explain why you don't see a lot of dwarves around (they're busy) and really tried to put together an area where we could write some crazy stories.

nother thing we noticed was that players were getting super powerful so another purpose thus setting served was to weed out those players in two way:

Send them into an area that exhausts their resorts (i.e. certs) with the promise of awesome gear (rumors from people who survived).

Really hammer the players and scare the heck out of them and make them think they were going to lose and die but don't tpk them.

We operated under the motto, Cut Deep, Don't Kill.

The people who got through a mod were like, "I'm the best" while all the while we were trying to keep the power curve in check by eliminating magic items, resources, and sometimes enter tables.

Oh and in every encounter you have the ability to run away. No one tries to stop you. Every team that succeeded or failed counted against how the story arc would go.

So you can see the catch 22 here. Chance at cool gear, really impact this lowere realm, or die, or lose all your possessions.

People agonized over these decisions, I enjoyed it immensely.

But my favorite moments were the selfless acts. One guy I remember sacrificed his paladin to save the group from annihilation. And even though he died the table and every one who watched was like, "wow, he went out like a boss doing what a paladin does."

It was a lot of fun and a lot of new mechanics too!

As to the spelling of Dwoemer vs Dweomer I think I typed it wrong and we never caught it LOL! It is supposed to mean magic realm. Wow we were terrible spell checkers!

think we planned a five year arc (because we are crazy). There was supposed to be a big fight between all the races down there. The Drakon'katha, the Bugs, the Aranea, our own version of illithids...

I don't think I have much stuff left over, I can't even remember how many mods there were, maybe four or five. Definitely Rolling Thunder...

This is what happens when you use yahoo groups and yahoo removes you user name....

The nice thing about Blackmoor was most of the players were from Miami or Orlando or Florida so we knew the gaming styles and this realm was a big smorgasbord for all the crazy Miami people and Orlano people (of which I was one of them) that always talkyd about wanting to fight crazy odds. Ergo, we dropped this bomb on them!

-Havard
Great find! 8)
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land,
making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Honest to God, yeah, the Dweomer from TES predate this concept for a good ten years - they surface as early as Daggerfall, I think, in 1997, and have fairly prominent roles in nearly all games thereafter, but mainly in "Morrowind".

Even so, I think the idea is pretty interesting - BM has some possibilities for a proper Underdark setting; that we don't have ellaborated sources about its use (the Tonnisborg documents were lost, as were most of the dungeons from Mount Uberstar) doesn't mean that there is no potential in the idea.

...Now, myself, given the practical realities, I would probably rather use a different background than a dark-Dwarf/Scandinavian setup, and do something based around the proto-Eastern cultural backfrop that we find in the Peshwa territory, and around the Dragon Hills. ...But in any case, the potential to build something big here is certainly there. Smile
I think maybe I caused some misunderstanding here. The word Dweomer relates to the Norse Dwarves, but that is from real world mythology, not as it appears in the Blackmoor setting. The TES "dwarves" are called Dwemer, but I dont know if this has anything to do with the word Dweomer.

As to Blackmoor's Dweomer Realm, it appears not to be connected to Dwarves at all, oddly enough. Smile

Hope this clears up a few things! Smile

Rowell Wrote:Even so, I think the idea is pretty interesting - BM has some possibilities for a proper Underdark setting; that we don't have ellaborated sources about its use (the Tonnisborg documents were lost, as were most of the dungeons from Mount Uberstar) doesn't mean that there is no potential in the idea.

Indeed! Well it is time to take a closer look at what this group of MMRPG designers came up with. Maybe there are things here we can use for our own campaigns...

See next post! Smile

-Havard
The first Dweomer Realm adventure has been released with the launch of Blackmoor MMRPG's Season 4! Check it out!

Based on this adventure, how much can we discern about the Dweomer Realm?

-Havard
New episode set in the Dweomer Realm has been uploaded.

Check out Episode 67 here.

-Havard
Episode 73 is also set in the Dweomer Realm.

-Havard