The Dave Arneson's Blackmoor Discussion Forum



It is currently Dec 14, 2017 12:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: A History of the Temple of the Frog
PostPosted: Oct 09, 2016 5:53 pm 
Offline
Lord of the Regency Council
Lord of the Regency Council
User avatar

Joined: Nov 17, 2009 2:48 pm
Posts: 6015
Location: Norway, Europe
I have written an article on the Temple of the Frog here at the Blackmoor Archives:
http://blackmoor.mystara.net/templeofthefrog.html

-Havard

_________________
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A History of the Temple of the Frog
PostPosted: Oct 11, 2016 8:59 pm 
Offline
Peasant
Peasant

Joined: Dec 07, 2012 1:01 pm
Posts: 15
Perhaps worth including a direct link to the MMRPG PDF?

Which is here. Season 2, Episode 34.
:)

_________________
Designer | Simple Superheroes: The RPG of Infinite Powers and Possibilities | is now in Print!
http://www.ComposeDreamGames.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A History of the Temple of the Frog
PostPosted: Oct 12, 2016 1:07 pm 
Offline
Lord of the Regency Council
Lord of the Regency Council
User avatar

Joined: Nov 17, 2009 2:48 pm
Posts: 6015
Location: Norway, Europe
Thondor wrote:
Perhaps worth including a direct link to the MMRPG PDF?

Which is here. Season 2, Episode 34.
:)


Thanks!

Good idea about including a link. I will include that for the next update :)

-Havard

_________________
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A History of the Temple of the Frog
PostPosted: Oct 12, 2016 5:32 pm 
Offline
Baronette
Baronette
User avatar

Joined: Feb 01, 2010 11:59 am
Posts: 762
Location: Schenectady
Its another good write up Havard. I think it could be expanded a bit and I don't quite agree with this bit

" the adventure was written with Dave's original system in mind. This meant among other things that the adventure assumed bringing several units of soldiers along with the adventurers."

I don't think DA assumed anything. I also don't think Dave's players used hirelings very often on adventures. A great example is Rob and Gary's adventure in the City of the Gods. It's pretty clear that that place is teaming with defenders just like ToTF, and DA's major complaint about how Robilar and Mordenkainen handled themselves was that they weren't sneaky enough.

Thing is, I've run ToTF straight with small groups of mid level adventurers, and each time the party was able to sneak into the temple and get away clean afterward. The notion put out some years ago (and somehow still circulating) that ToTF was a CHAINMAIL scenerio is simply misguided. Arneson's ToTF is a setting, not a "module". If PC's go up to the temple and start knocking on the door it is there own fault if they get slaughtered. I think the dungeon is actually a great one for a typical party to explore - carefully.

_________________
"The gamemaster may find that sometimes it is a good idea to just let the unexpected lead where it will." Dave Arneson - DNA DOA

'blog https://www.blogger.com/home


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A History of the Temple of the Frog
PostPosted: Dec 10, 2016 5:48 pm 
Offline
Lord of the Regency Council
Lord of the Regency Council
User avatar

Joined: Nov 17, 2009 2:48 pm
Posts: 6015
Location: Norway, Europe
Aldarron wrote:
Its another good write up Havard. I think it could be expanded a bit and I don't quite agree with this bit

" the adventure was written with Dave's original system in mind. This meant among other things that the adventure assumed bringing several units of soldiers along with the adventurers."

I don't think DA assumed anything. I also don't think Dave's players used hirelings very often on adventures. A great example is Rob and Gary's adventure in the City of the Gods. It's pretty clear that that place is teaming with defenders just like ToTF, and DA's major complaint about how Robilar and Mordenkainen handled themselves was that they weren't sneaky enough.

Thing is, I've run ToTF straight with small groups of mid level adventurers, and each time the party was able to sneak into the temple and get away clean afterward. The notion put out some years ago (and somehow still circulating) that ToTF was a CHAINMAIL scenerio is simply misguided. Arneson's ToTF is a setting, not a "module". If PC's go up to the temple and start knocking on the door it is there own fault if they get slaughtered. I think the dungeon is actually a great one for a typical party to explore - carefully.



Thanks Dan!

I think you make some excellent points here. I have been a bit busy these last few months, but I want to go back and revise this article taking some of your points into account. I like your comparison to the City of the Gods adventure.

Was it not common for the Blackmoor PCs to bring a bunch of hirelings/soldiers with them though?

-Havard

_________________
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A History of the Temple of the Frog
PostPosted: Dec 11, 2016 10:09 am 
Offline
Baronette
Baronette
User avatar

Joined: Feb 01, 2010 11:59 am
Posts: 762
Location: Schenectady
Havard wrote:


Was it not common for the Blackmoor PCs to bring a bunch of hirelings/soldiers with them though?

-Havard


Offhand I can't think of a single anecdote of an adventure (as opposed to a wargame scenerio) by any of the original players or by Arneson where NPC hirelings were mentioned. Might have been, but I don't think it was common.

_________________
"The gamemaster may find that sometimes it is a good idea to just let the unexpected lead where it will." Dave Arneson - DNA DOA

'blog https://www.blogger.com/home


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Copyright © The Comeback Inn
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group