** ARCHIVED FORUM - ANY CHANGES ARE REVERTED HOURLY **

It is currently Apr 23, 2024 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Playing the Travellers/Spacemen?
PostPosted: Aug 01, 2014 2:34 am 
Freeholder
Freeholder

Ello folks long time no post, been busy moving and all that jive. I found a flash drive with my blackmoor brew and found a idea I hadnt really fleshed out much,what of playing the spacemen/travellers from the Beagle? I put down ideas such as psionics, guns, weird biology, etc. Even used a tinker/artificer class to build a npc or two of people who learned and understood(?) their most basic machines and robots. What would you guys suggest? Anyone ever try this idea? I've played with the idea of colonist, etc. Also had a red skinned traveller appear in campaign as a bounty/trophy hunter who plagued pc's as they looked for something he was after.

Post subject: Re: Playing the Travellers/Spacemen?
PostPosted: Aug 01, 2014 11:12 am 
Yeoman
Yeoman

I have one such player in my home game.

Mirko was a medic on the Beagle but decided to escape on his own, neither trusting the captain or the mutineers. Unfortunately, his escape pod crashed into a mountain and, unlike St. Stephen, could not manufacture space-age technological devices. He started the game with two grenades, a blaster pistol, a medkit and a raft. He established himself as some sort of hermit/healer.

Mirko started as a psionic but since the player didn't like it, we switch him to a monk, to reflect his martial arts training.

The player insisted that Mirko had a slight greenish skin, which will be fun when the characters will visit the Temple of the Frog.

PostPosted: Aug 03, 2014 12:45 pm 
Freeholder
Freeholder

Interesting, I've been treating them stat wise as human except proficiency with basic tech items and more prone to use martial arts/take downs maneuvers. Anyone else got experience?

Also FXR how does the character do with the world around him? The magical environment, monsters, etc.?

PostPosted: Aug 04, 2014 9:21 am 
Yeoman
Yeoman

PostPosted: Aug 05, 2014 9:19 am 
Lord of the Regency Council
Lord of the Regency Council

Interesting ideas all around here gentlemen!

I did some speculation on this topic .

Greg Svenson has provided us with some more detailed information about the multiple Alien Empires that may have sent explorers to Blackmoor if you want to make use of such story seeds from the Original Campaign...

-Havard

PostPosted: Aug 05, 2014 12:23 pm 
Freeholder
Freeholder

If you were to use 3.5 rules I'd suggest possibly using some of the more focused knowledge skills, etc. from the Wilderlands Players Guide. Even possibly using the alchemist class from there as well. Since I often use Pathfinder I still have a Alchemist class with archetypes and some third party content helps with the scifi bits and psionic abilities. Kinda want to play a alchemist who focuses in medication and bio-technologies, have a little homunculus for a 'familiar'.

Also Havard I think I remember the d20 version of CotG's says the Beagle traveled via the ether which is why it had so many strange creatures aboard, they collected as they go to study new lifeforms. Also loved seeing the info of the scouts visiting blackmoor, gave me a few ideas for encounters.

PostPosted: Aug 06, 2014 8:34 am 
Freeholder
Freeholder

I've played and refereed many fantasy games that involved, for want of a better term, "sci-fi" characters. And vice versa. Blackmoor seems to have an advantage there in having the premise built right into the setting. Just as a matter of general principle I never stop players experimenting with their characters (although I will stop them repeating a failed experiment).

I find that the best characters are often the least obvious - think Red Dwarf, for example.

PostPosted: Aug 23, 2014 9:24 pm 
Freeholder
Freeholder

I'm currently reading over the Technology Guide for Pathfinder, while it doesnt include new classes it includes archetypes, equipment, and feats for technology! I'm also waiting on People of the Stars, a pathfinder player companion that includes information of the people of the worlds beyond the main world of the system. It has information on the settings equivalent to sandfolk as well as some traits and spells that would do nicely for either a Spaceman or a group who is led by one such being(several in my game).

Technology Guide has some nice rules on cybernetics, some basic augmentation but it gives enough information that you might be able to make new cybertech.