Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
The Duchy of Evedhur
The Duchy of Evedhur is a realm of my creation. It is located in the Empire of Thonia on the border between the Thonian Rand (Marcovik's Realm) and the Eastern Marshes. It is based in part on information from Clock & Steam and Dwarf and Gnome entries in the Dave Arneson's Blackmoor d20 Sourcebook, as well as some tidbits from other Blackmoor books (DA1 etc).

THE DUCHY OF EVEDHUR
When Oberstar Khazakhum founded the realm of North Delwing for the dwarves of the North, his younger brother Arklist wanted a realm of his own. He and some followers lead an expedition south to what would become known as the Evedhur Mountains. Today, this is the largest Dwarf realm within the Thonian Empire and one of the oldest dwarven communities on the continent. Realizing opposing the Emperor would be foolish, he has had to abandon the title of Regent and accepted that he is now simply a Duke within the Empire and subject to Duke Taha Marcovic, ruler of the Province. Evedhur is home, not only to dwarves but also a large community of gnomes. Humans can also be found in the outskirts of the province. On the very tops of the mountain, a strange race of humans known as Hawkriders make their homes, preferring the company of their gargantuan avian companions to that of other humanoids.

High Delving (Evedhur):
This is the capital of the Duchy of Evedhur and seat to Duke Arklist Khazakhum. Arklist founded High Delving nearly five centuries ago, as a result mainly of subling rivalry. Always wanting to match his brother’s achivements, the Dwarf-Duke has built an impressive community. Arklist has little love for the Thonian Emperor, but he is smart enough to keep his head low.

Quigsbury:
This village, bordering to the Charis Woods, is populated mostly by Thonian woodcutters and a few forest gnome families. Although the population is predominantly human, the village still falls within the domain of Evedhur. Many human woodcutters here worried that they would loose their jobs when the dwarves introduced the Steamsaw, a large golem-like construction, designed to cut down wood on a massive scale. However, the Steamsaw has frequently suffered from failures. A secret group known as The Saboteur’s are suspected (See Clock & Steam for details on the Steamsaw).

Foglesby:
This gnome village, is mainly populated by forest gnomes. The Gnomes of Foglesby are also famous clockmakers. The Foglesby clockmaker’s Guild are proud makers of Cuckoo Clocks which are the latest fashion in the Thonian Capital of Mohacs. A Foglesby Gnome named Artigan was the one who created the first Clockwork animal; Artigan’s Sparrow. (See Clock & Steam for details)
Ploff’s Peak: This Gnome community is built within a mountain peak with only a deep gorge separating it from the village of Lato. The gnomes of Ploff’s Peak solved this problem by constructing a system of cable cars allowing transport between the two communities. It is suspected that as new improvements are made to this invention, Ploff’s Peak and Lato may one day become a single community. (Cable Trolley Car described in Clock & Steam).

Lato:
This gnome village is connected to Ploff’s Peak through a cable car system (see Ploff’s Peak entry). This village gained fame when a local astronomer, Galen of Lato, invented a device for observing the stars. Astronomers, navigators and cartographers, have been making their way to this fairly isolated mountain village, ever since.

Kurbol:
Kurbol (meaning Black Crater) was originally settled by dwarves from High Delving. The settlement is found around a large meteorite crater formed centuries ago. The dwarves were drawn to the place because of the abundance of minerals around the crater. Disaster struck when adventurous dwarves, working with gnome inventors tried to create a steam powered railtransport from Kurbol to High Delving. As the invention super heated, the transport exploded, destroying the tunnel and killing 200 dwarves and gnomes in the process. The Kurbol community has still not fully recovered from the incident (see Clock & Steam for details).

Any input is welcome!

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Nice job integrating dwarves into Thonia in a way that connects them firmly to Blackmoor's dwarves. When I think about Thonia, I think of it as something of a copy of Greyhawk's Great Kingdom, so it's good to see versions that fit better with Dave Arneson's setting.
ripvanwormer Wrote:Nice job integrating dwarves into Thonia in a way that connects them firmly to Blackmoor's dwarves. When I think about Thonia, I think of it as something of a copy of Greyhawk's Great Kingdom, so it's good to see versions that fit better with Dave Arneson's setting.

Thanks! The Duchy will be part of the upcoming Thonian Rand Sourcebook that I am working on. The process leading to the creation of Evedhur started when I began asking myself what the lands of the Thonian Rand were like. I realized that The Rand needed to be a Province consisting of more than just the lands directly controlled by the Iron Duke (Marcovik, from DA1). I decided to add two additional Duchies.

The second question I asked myself was what you are mentioning here. Are there dwarves outside of Blackmoor? Where did the Blackmoor Dwarves come from? We have quite a few clues about elves and fey races, but less about Dwarves. We do know that they have only been in Blackmoor for five centuries, so they would have to come from somewhere.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign