Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
Blackmoor Equipment / Mundane Items
Le Noir Faineant Wrote:This is one of the better ideas you had lately. Wink I shall steal this. :twisted:

Also, if you're doing an index... Do it with the page numbers attached! Smile

Thanks!
Feel free to use anything I write. Of course, credits are appreciated, as are links back to the relevant threads here Smile

The final booklet will indeed have page references as well as prices. Perhaps also other additional information.

RobJN Wrote:Havard's Blackmoor Arms & Equipment Guide and Culinary Sourcebook :mrgreen:

Be on the lookout for the Throne of Stars appendix....

Wow, that's excellent! And it continues on this page as well? Given enough time, you will have written the whole book for me I think Wink

Keep them coming! Smile

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Havard Wrote:
RobJN Wrote:Havard's Blackmoor Arms & Equipment Guide and Culinary Sourcebook :mrgreen:

Be on the lookout for the Throne of Stars appendix....

Wow, that's excellent! And it continues on this page as well? Given enough time, you will have written the whole book for me I think Wink

Keep them coming! Smile

-Havard
I don't know about a whole booklet, but certainly a chapter's worth.
Rob
[Image: Trista-Thronesig-zps94e26f1f.png]
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | twitter | The Blog
Think you could collect the links to the various items, tech etc you have on your blog (and possibly elsewhere) Rob?

I found some new stuff in Clock & Steam. Processing it now. Will post later, when I have some time Smile

-Havard
Havard Wrote:Think you could collect the links to the various items, tech etc you have on your blog (and possibly elsewhere) Rob?

I found some new stuff in Clock & Steam. Processing it now. Will post later, when I have some time Smile

-Havard
I'll have to do some digging. Maybe by the weekend, if I survive the work week....
Rob
RobJN Wrote:I'll have to do some digging. Maybe by the weekend, if I survive the work week....

That works for me Smile

-Havard
You've already got the two Magitech article links.

On the blog, pretty much anything in the Armory and Relics pages.

In addition, I scrounged up these items, which were from my original site, but haven't yet been made available on the new blog just yet:

Magic Items of Thorn’s Chronicle

Half-full Purse
First seen in Thorn's Chronicle: Rise of the Winter King, on the way to Koriszegy's Keep
The sad fact is that many merchants of the Northern Marches and the early Kingdom of Blackmoor could not read or write, and thus letters and writs of credit were useless to them. Coinage was still very much in need.

When traveling more than a day from the castle or township of Blackmoor, members of the Regency Council or their immediate family were issued Half-full purses. These small leather belt-pouches were enchanted to hold a handful of coins at all times, of a seemingly random assortment. (3d6 each of gold, silver and copper coins) If more coins should be added to the purse, the excess is teleported into the Blackmoor treasury. Likewise, if more coins should be needed, they appear within the pouch before the last coin is removed.

If the pouch or strings should be cut, the magic is disrupted and the connection to the Blackmoor treasury closes. The existing coinage does not disappear, but the bag will not refill once it empties.

Speaking Stones
Magically, red dragonstones demonstrate an affinity for enhancing existing magic, operating particularly effectively with fire- and earth- based sorceries. When exposed to such extreme temperatures as those in magical fires, the stones do not heat up, and can impart some of that protection if jewelry containing it is properly aligned and tuned to both the wearer and the stone.

Balancing the nature some see as inherently destructive, the red dragonstones also exhibit a proclivity towards the storage of information, both magical and mundane.

Though hailed as a genius and a marvel at stonecrafting, Ridadel Vulburgh discovered the secret of dual-tuning a reading-stone when he accidentally applied two different dictionaries to the same crystal. The result was a synchronicity between the two vibrations, which then manifested in a sympathetic tonewave overlaying the listener’s perception of the words. In short, Vulburgh had developed instantaneous translation.

Before his work could be put into mass production, though, complaints from the Cryptographers Guilds, the Letterer’s Guilds, as well as three Crystalmanceries put a halt to plans to make “speaking stones” cheaply available to the public. Their use was restricted to special agents of the Crown, and even then, the dozens that were given out were further restricted by attuning them in “matched sets,” each grouping of two to eight stones tuned to a very specific frequency and only resonating with those of the same cyclical attenuation.

Game effects: Of the many different magical properties of the red dragonstones, those in a synchronized set can be worn amongst a group and all will perceive words spoken in the stone’s stored language as if it were their native tongue. Treat this as a comprehend languages spell, limited to the language stored within the stone. Rather than a strictly magical effect, though, it is a vibrational property of the stone itself. Thus, the effect is lost under influence of silencing magicks, or if exposed to the precise reversed waveform.

Radiant bolts
First seen in Thorn's Chronicle: Rise of the Winter King, at the Temple of Pflaar entrance
Magically, black dragonstones demonstrate an affinity for enhancing existing magic, operating particularly effectively with shadow-, lightning-, and necromancy-based sorceries.

Black dragonstones form the basis of some of the last, most terrible weapons used in the Afridhi Wars. Perhaps three dozen Radiant bolts were fashioned before Andahar’s Engine was activated. Of those, existing records indicate that three were definitely used.

Radiant bolts were only granted to the first generation of Shrikes. It was the Archgenerals’ opinion that those few shrikes that had survived for that long had the will and intelligence to use the weapons most effectively. (Cynics would say that the first generation of shrikes were the only ones of the properly tired-of-living/survivor’s guilt mindset to use the weapons most effectively.)

All recorded descriptions of these weapons agree on their appearance: Purple-veined black dragonstones cut to the shape of an arrowhead, affixed to yard-long shafts of twined platinum and gold, fletched with phoenix feathers.

Game effects (preliminary):
Radiant bolts are arrows or quarrels specially enchanted with a variant of the Shadow Elf Shaman’s Discharge Soul Power spell. Like that spell, it draws upon a number of demonic essences bound within the stone. The shrike can time the number of “souls” primed, and can loose the arrow with a yield of anywhere from two to twelve “souls.”

The crystal lattice inverts the polarity of the demonic entities, converting them into the same substance that fuels the Nucleus of the Spheres, and then releases that energy in a 5 yard radius burst per soul consumed, dealing 1d6 points of damage per soul. (As the shaman spell, all rolls of 1 on the die are rerolled.)

The blast only lasts a fraction of a second, but burns hotter than the core of the Nucleus of the Spheres within the first ten feet of the radius of the blast. The explosion is multidimensional, causing temporary tears in between the Material, Astral, and Ethereal planes. The split-second exposure to the Astral shreds any immaterial life force within that same 10’ blast radius.

If loosed outside, a 200’ radius cloud of toxic fumes is released by the blast, and all those living within the cloud must Save vs. Poison immediately, and once for every turn they remain within the cloud.

Released within confined spaces, lingering Radiant energies are even more dangerous, requiring Saves vs. Poison each round within the chamber(s).

Whether indoors or out, the Save is modified as follows:
-1 if wearing leather armor
-2 if wearing chain mail armor
-4 if wearing plate mail
-1 for every nonmagical metal weapon/shield (exception: silvered weapons)
-1 per 10 gold coins in possession, and/or per 25 g.p. value of any gold jewelry
-1 per 25 g.p. value of gemstone(s) in possession

Radiant corruption sets in on a failed Saving Throw, with the affected body part beginning to weaken after three days, and withering after seven. The slow rot sets in shortly thereafter, reducing Charisma and Constitution by one point per month.

Speed, Strength, or Dexterity will be permanently reduced depending on which parts of the body have withered, as adjudicated by the DM.

More powerful versions of this weapon exist, in the forms of javelins (up to 24 “souls” can be called upon, at 1d8 points of damage per soul). Rumors of siege-level variants have not been substantiated.

Collection Towers
First seen in Thorn's Chronicle: Rise of the Winter King, at the Maiden's Pool in the Lost Valley
One of the pinnacles (pardon the pun) of Blackmoor’s anti-demon arsenal, prior to the development of Andahar’s Engine, was a device civil defense authorities simply called “Collection Towers.”

Each colony was provided with a unit, which consisted of six six-sided pillars of rune-carved Andahar Onyx built around a quarter-mile deep containment pool, which was filled with a solution of deionized water, several salts, and a high concentration of silver-chloride.

One to three black dragonstones were embedded at the base of each face of the pillar, and they formed both reservoirs and power sources for the Towers.

Essentially, the Collection Tower complexes were traps, designed to lure and then neutralize ethereal or material demonic entities. A siren standing between any of the pillars could project her song up to a 20-mile-wide cone. Depending on their distance to the Collection Tower complex, Ethereal demons are affected differently if they fail a Saving Throw vs. Petrification:
  • 1-2 miles: enthralled, drawn towards the complex at top speed; another save allowed each turn.
  • 3-5 miles: enthralled, drawn towards the complex at half speed; another save allowed each turn.
  • 6-10 miles: enthralled, immobilized; another save allowed each turn, or until engaged in combat.
  • 11-20 miles: agitated, all attacks made at -4; Armor Class penalized by 4; Antimagical fields disrupted (only 50 percent effective on any given round)

Once within thirty feet of a tower, the binding power of the black dragonstones activates, sealing the demons away from the Prime Material. Those possessed are drawn into the containment pool, where the demon and its thrall are separated, the entity sealed within the closest dragonstone. Thralls are then rescued from the pool, and dealt with according to their disposition.

Collection Towers were normally staffed by 3 to 5 crystalmancer technicians, who would oversee the replacement and transport of dragonstones to a secure facility for future use. Also present were two Sirens (primary and backup, the backup sometimes employed to draw in particularly resistant or powerful demons); four shrikes were kept on hand, normally deployed to the agitation zones, to draw the forces closer to the immobilization belt, where Reapers would harvest the enthralled demons.
Rob
Any more? :wink:
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land,
making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.