Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
Dungeon of Sipris Mountain
DESCRIPTION: Caldera-like remains of a destroyed mountain. Ruins of an old Eldrich Underground Strongold.
HISTORY: The Citadel of Sipris was the stronghold of the Witch of the Fane and Angvile the Chaotic. There, they provided a shelter for Sorcerers wishing to escape the Wizards Cabal. When the Wizards Cabal caught up with them, Angvile used his magics to bring the Sepris mountain down on the Cabal Forces.

The above information is taken from the BMPG p 182 and is connected to the history of the Eldrich Underground and their subgroup the Sworn of Angvile. Sounds like a perfect place to have a dungeon?

Any ideas for things to fill it with, dungeon features etc?

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Lots of caches of magical equipment: scrolls, potions, wands... I'm thinking mainly low-to-mid powered disposable items that would be useful in battling wizardly types that a DM wouldn't feel too badly about his players getting their hands on.

Traps would more than likely be of the magical variety, more than likely an equal amount of "analog" versions thrown in, in the event of 'dispelling' of magical wards.

Depending on the method(s) used to bring down the mountain, the monsters might be earth elementals, xorn, umber hulks, purple worms. Of course, then there would also be the spirits of the Cabal and Eldritch Underground combatants. Ghosts? Revenants? Preferably a form of undead of suitable enough power to retain spell casting ability, but packs of wights do nicely for guardians of magical goodies against low-to-mid level parties... :twisted:
Rob
[Image: Trista-Thronesig-zps94e26f1f.png]
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | twitter | The Blog
RobJN Wrote:Lots of caches of magical equipment: scrolls, potions, wands... I'm thinking mainly low-to-mid powered disposable items that would be useful in battling wizardly types that a DM wouldn't feel too badly about his players getting their hands on.

Some pretty good suggestions there. There are quite a few spells linked to Angvile the Chaotic in the BMPG, so scrolls with those spells ought to be around. Perhaps even items with those spells linked to them.

Angvile's girlfriend/partner, the Witch of Fane is rumoured to be Skelfer's granddaughter, so perhaps also magic that can be traced back to the White Mage himself?

Quote:Traps would more than likely be of the magical variety, more than likely an equal amount of "analog" versions thrown in, in the event of 'dispelling' of magical wards.

I like the combination of mundane and magical traps. You don't get enough traps these days.

Quote:Depending on the method(s) used to bring down the mountain, the monsters might be earth elementals, xorn, umber hulks, purple worms. Of course, then there would also be the spirits of the Cabal and Eldritch Underground combatants. Ghosts? Revenants? Preferably a form of undead of suitable enough power to retain spell casting ability, but packs of wights do nicely for guardians of magical goodies against low-to-mid level parties... :twisted:

Interesting! I never considered what sort of magic might be involved in bringing the mountain down. I do like the suggestion of earth elemental creatures being involved.

And yes, undead!

How much of the actual Citadel ought to be preserved? I'm thinking it is mostly the underground bits, but perhaps a few ruined towers as well?

-Havard
Havard Wrote:
RobJN Wrote:Lots of caches of magical equipment: scrolls, potions, wands... I'm thinking mainly low-to-mid powered disposable items that would be useful in battling wizardly types that a DM wouldn't feel too badly about his players getting their hands on.

Some pretty good suggestions there. There are quite a few spells linked to Angvile the Chaotic in the BMPG, so scrolls with those spells ought to be around. Perhaps even items with those spells linked to them.

Angvile's girlfriend/partner, the Witch of Fane is rumoured to be Skelfer's granddaughter, so perhaps also magic that can be traced back to the White Mage himself?

Quote:Traps would more than likely be of the magical variety, more than likely an equal amount of "analog" versions thrown in, in the event of 'dispelling' of magical wards.

I like the combination of mundane and magical traps. You don't get enough traps these days.

Quote:Depending on the method(s) used to bring down the mountain, the monsters might be earth elementals, xorn, umber hulks, purple worms. Of course, then there would also be the spirits of the Cabal and Eldritch Underground combatants. Ghosts? Revenants? Preferably a form of undead of suitable enough power to retain spell casting ability, but packs of wights do nicely for guardians of magical goodies against low-to-mid level parties... :twisted:

Interesting! I never considered what sort of magic might be involved in bringing the mountain down. I do like the suggestion of earth elemental creatures being involved.

And yes, undead!

How much of the actual Citadel ought to be preserved? I'm thinking it is mostly the underground bits, but perhaps a few ruined towers as well?

-Havard
Gotta have a ruined tower!

And the notion of the Witch of the Fane being Skelfer's granddaughter is fantastic :evil:
Rob
[Image: Trista-Thronesig-zps94e26f1f.png]
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | twitter | The Blog
RobJN Wrote:Gotta have a ruined tower!

Yeah, I much prefer making this location as memorable as possible. Something like this perhaps?

Quote:And the notion of the Witch of the Fane being Skelfer's granddaughter is fantastic :evil:

It is incredible how many details can be found scattered throughout the various Blackmoor books. I used to think that this was especially true for the DA modules, but also the ZGG books are doing the same thing.

I like the idea of her being Skelfer's granddaughter. In the ZGG books there seems to be two types of rumours presented:

a) The type I like (such as this one), which I then rule is true IMC

and

b) the type I don't like, such as The Egg of Coot being a manifestation of Elgath, Skelfer being Insellageth in human form etc. This type I just ignore.

OTOH, if the Witch of the Fane is Skelfer's granddaughter and Skelfer was Insellageth the Dragon God, what does that make the Witch of the Fane?

Actually, there could very well be follow-ups on this in the MMRPG. I have yet to dig through those PDFs in detail.

-Havard