Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
Jungle Realm of Tangor-What is known of it?
While going through my notes of Blackmoor conversions I found my typed up version of Tangor and wanted to know what is known of it? I've had ideas and started encounter charts, etc.

What races are there?

What kind of monsters called it home?

Do the gods have a good reach there and who is known among them? Are they animist and believe in gods in everything?

Share your thoughts :3
Very interesting topic!

In the First Fantasy Campaign, this realm is simply referred to as the Jungle Realm and there are a few tidbits about it:
  • General Marcellus, a friend of one of the early rulers of Blackmoor, was responsible for conquering a small part of the Jungle Realm and incorporating it into the Thonian Empire. He later returned to the North. In my timeline, I have these conquests take place in the late 490s.
  • Balfred the Bald, another ruler of Blackmoor, adventured in the Jungle Realm (ca 950) and later brought home a strange beast from those lands. Sadly, the beast eventually ate the baron. It is unknown whether the beast was some strange magical creature or simply a lion?

DA1 Adventures in Blackmoor describes a race of dark skinned humans which the Thonians refer to as Bolgers. Based on this, I created a Thonian Province called Bolgerie, which I may return to in an upcoming Mini-Gaz. IMC the capital of Bolgerie is called Balfredsburg, after the Baron of Blackmoor.

The name Tangor comes from the Hollow World boxed set. The map places it south of Thonia. It also has some details on the people known as the Tanagoro, who are basically generic Africans. They follow the Immortal called Korotiku. Arneson purists may not care so much for incorporating Hollow World material into Blackmoor, but as I showed above there is already a precedence for a Jungle Realm as by Arneson.

As to creatures, any Jungle creatures will apply of course. Also, dinosaurs. Dave Arneson statted up a long list of Dinosaurs for D&D Supplement II. The Great Svenny once battled a pair of T-Rexes. The Jungle Realm would have an appropriate climate for such creatures.

IMC I also assume that various lizardfolk races working for the Serpentine Empire based on the southern continent are trying to infiltrate the Jungle Realm. The Serpentine Empire is a creation of James Mishler from his Blackmoor Epic.

Relevant Piazza threads:

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with Freedom92! Smile

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Also, there is the Lost Temple of the Nameless Ones. Probably this is where Balfred's Expedition was headed.

-Havard
Here is some stuff I worked on, tell me what you think.

Races of the Junlge Realm

Man-The Bolgor are best known inhabitants of this realm but the Tangor are known to inhabit some of the more plain like regions on the edge of the jungles. It is rumored more men live deep in the jungle realm but if there are they can not be found.

Simians-A race of upright gorilla men who are trained from birth in the art of jungle warfare but as they grow older they often become more mellow as their nomadic lifestyle keeps them from conflict with the Bolgor or Tangor. They worship the spirits of the jungle and clean all site of occupation s their saying goes, “Leave no foot prints, only nature.”

Lizardfolk-The lizardfolk population is a mixed group of infiltration agents and the descendents of escaped slaves. They claim by their myths and lore their former masters whose names are lost to the sand of time brought them here to act as slaves to build and construct temple to their alien god. When their masters power waned and their magic turned on themselves the lizardfolk were free from their bonds. They fled the cursed temples and ruins but kept near by to ensure their former masters never return.

Awakened Animals-There are those who speak for the jungle, animals who have a voice. The wizards of the north refer to these creatures as awakened animals possibly some escaped experiment but the natives believe they are much more. Legends hold that some tribes tried to become more atuned to nature and by doing so became animals. In the chaos several stayed alive and bred with the species they became and their voices still live on. There is rumor of several larger examples of awaken beast who speak for the land and spirits and are almost on part with a god.

Temple of the Nameless Ones: A Relic of a bygone age lost to mans memories. The Simians claim to know the story as well as one of the tribes close to the temple. Even the Muck Claw Lizardfolk have a myth of the things past. They are as followed:
-Muck Claw Lizardfolk shamans tell the tale of the Nameless Ones being much like them except their mastery of the arcane arts could rival that of the gods. This mastery caused their downfall as the Gods took offense and caused their magics to destroy their user.
-The Simians claim long ago before man they claimed the jungle realm as home and they once traveled by air with great wings. These winged apes soon settled the area and the temple was where they asked the gods to take the gift of flight away as it caused many problems for their kind and would prevent their enemies from following them. The simians see the site as sacred.
-The humans see the place as a site of reverence in which the gods and spirits have touched time and time again. Some say a tribe of man now calls it home delving into dark arts and their skin is covered in fine scales but this is not confirmed as the Muck Claw Lizardfolk guard the ruins and only lets few in.

Magic of the Natives
-The magics of the natives is a strange thing, especially since their gods are indeed all around them. Sorcerers are the common arcane caster and the discovery of a sorcerer is a day in which is joyous. Sorcerers are those born with the blessing of the spirits in their blood and their spells will reflect their blessings. Sorcerer are treated well among the human and simian tribes but among the Lizardfolk they are treated with mistrust often due to the connection of arcane magic with their former masters.
The oracle, those blessed and cursed by the gods or spirits. The wendo give their blessing sparingly as each has their own agenda. They are common among the human population and the simians do have a few elders with the blessings and curses. Though a few oracles have been seen among pirate crews offering their dark magics for money and power.
Druids and shamans are common among the natives races as the world around them teems with latent spiritual energy as they walk the path of nature.
*Eagerly copying.*

I have this one as a mirror to the Suloise dominions in Greyhawk; a province similar to those on the Wild Coast, and... Whatever that place is that the Shackled City is located.
Hey Freedom, this looks great!
I think you have some very interesting stuff going on here...

Freedom92 Wrote:Here is some stuff I worked on, tell me what you think.

Races of the Junlge Realm

Man-The Bolgor are best known inhabitants of this realm but the Tangor are known to inhabit some of the more plain like regions on the edge of the jungles. It is rumored more men live deep in the jungle realm but if there are they can not be found.

Are you making the Bolgers and Tangor two separate cultures? In any case, I think it makes sense that the "Jungle Realm" will contain both actual jungles as well as grasslands.

Quote:Simians-A race of upright gorilla men who are trained from birth in the art of jungle warfare but as they grow older they often become more mellow as their nomadic lifestyle keeps them from conflict with the Bolgor or Tangor. They worship the spirits of the jungle and clean all site of occupation s their saying goes, “Leave no foot prints, only nature.”

Interesting. I like this race. I could actually see Gorilla Men as a good replacement for Orcs, but OTOH I also find your take quite intereresting.

Quote:Lizardfolk-The lizardfolk population is a mixed group of infiltration agents and the descendents of escaped slaves. They claim by their myths and lore their former masters whose names are lost to the sand of time brought them here to act as slaves to build and construct temple to their alien god. When their masters power waned and their magic turned on themselves the lizardfolk were free from their bonds. They fled the cursed temples and ruins but kept near by to ensure their former masters never return.

Cool. Not sure what background you have planned for these creatures, but it would fit with both what I suggested above and also perhaps tie-ins with the Wilderlands timeline. Do you have anything in particular in mind when it comes to their former masters?

Quote:Awakened Animals-There are those who speak for the jungle, animals who have a voice. The wizards of the north refer to these creatures as awakened animals possibly some escaped experiment but the natives believe they are much more. Legends hold that some tribes tried to become more atuned to nature and by doing so became animals. In the chaos several stayed alive and bred with the species they became and their voices still live on. There is rumor of several larger examples of awaken beast who speak for the land and spirits and are almost on part with a god.

This is a pretty cool idea. Was this based on Tewelik or something beyond that? I liked the animism idea from your first post so the idea of awakened beasts would also fit well with that.

Quote:Temple of the Nameless Ones: A Relic of a bygone age lost to mans memories. The Simians claim to know the story as well as one of the tribes close to the temple. Even the Muck Claw Lizardfolk have a myth of the things past. They are as followed:
-Muck Claw Lizardfolk shamans tell the tale of the Nameless Ones being much like them except their mastery of the arcane arts could rival that of the gods. This mastery caused their downfall as the Gods took offense and caused their magics to destroy their user.
-The Simians claim long ago before man they claimed the jungle realm as home and they once traveled by air with great wings. These winged apes soon settled the area and the temple was where they asked the gods to take the gift of flight away as it caused many problems for their kind and would prevent their enemies from following them. The simians see the site as sacred.
-The humans see the place as a site of reverence in which the gods and spirits have touched time and time again. Some say a tribe of man now calls it home delving into dark arts and their skin is covered in fine scales but this is not confirmed as the Muck Claw Lizardfolk guard the ruins and only lets few in.

Alot of great ideas here. I have nothing on the Jungle Temple beyond what Chirine has provided. Although the fact that Arneson constructed the Temple miniature makes me believe that he could easily have had Blackmoor in mind as well as Tekumel when he built it. This location certainly helps add to the mystery of the region.

When I think of African Fantasy, movies like the Alan Quartermain series (Mines of King Solomon, Lost City of Gold) and Congo come to mind, as well as various Edgar Rice Buroughs stories.

Quote:Magic of the Natives
-The magics of the natives is a strange thing, especially since their gods are indeed all around them. Sorcerers are the common arcane caster and the discovery of a sorcerer is a day in which is joyous. Sorcerers are those born with the blessing of the spirits in their blood and their spells will reflect their blessings. Sorcerer are treated well among the human and simian tribes but among the Lizardfolk they are treated with mistrust often due to the connection of arcane magic with their former masters.
The oracle, those blessed and cursed by the gods or spirits. The wendo give their blessing sparingly as each has their own agenda. They are common among the human population and the simians do have a few elders with the blessings and curses. Though a few oracles have been seen among pirate crews offering their dark magics for money and power.
Druids and shamans are common among the natives races as the world around them teems with latent spiritual energy as they walk the path of nature.

Makes sense. For 3E, I would think that also the Wokan (Primitive Wizard), Elderkin (Shaman/Primitive Cleric) and Idolator (Primitive Druid) would also be appropriate classes.

Would the Oracle and Wendo be local names for any of those?

-Havard
I'm making the Bolgor and Tangor two different cultures and the reason we dont see Bolgor in the Hollow World is because much like Thonia and Blackmoor they changed to fast for the 'Gods' to hide them away so the tangor remain the sole remains. Possibly even a tie in with te desert culture trade wise. I've wanted to introduce other human cultures and lands so I'm not sure just yet.

The simians are nomadic by nature like gorrillas but when conflict arises big battles between two can arise. I think they'll be like real gorrillas and they will clash when two family groups try to occupy the same space. I wanted to do some more work on them at some point culture wise, etc. I had three tribes in mind, the Ghost Tribe of white apes that wander the high peaks of mountains and have magical powers not seen in regular simians, the Green Back Tribe that are veredent lovers of nature and often cover themselves in makeshift clothing made of plants, and the Crimson Pelt Tribe who are worshippers of a demon lord and are the only tribe known to use metal weapons and claim it is a gift from their lord.

I originally thought of Carnifex as the masters of the lizardfolk or someone who would be a top lizard. I've also thought about adding dinosaurs in the area to reflect it, the lizardfolk would bond with dinosaurs as their devotion to each other goes generations back to the time when they were forced into the region and mutated and morphed into new shapes and forms. I planned on having several dinosaur related lizardfolk and even more mixed of things lurking in ruins across the jungle. Also might work in some of the Sleeping Ones and Outer Beings into the area. I've had a few Sleeping Ones and Outer Beings written up for my games before, need to update them.

Because I'm all about old religions and myths I looked into different stories here and there. Africa has several myths involving talking animals though who doesnt? Also I have several theories for awakened animals depending on setting and one other ideas can be explained if wanted. I've had a player want to play a awakened animal before and my Blackmoor(PF) game coming up will allow hi to do so.

I got ideas for the temple by reading over wilderlands and some other stuff and I just picked up a copy of ERB Pellucidar from the year 1972 so got to get reading that for ideas as well.

Since this was written for my pathfinder conversions I used the Oracle as the class. A person blessed and cursed by the gods to do their will even if they dont know what it is. If I were to use a 3.5 comparison I'd say Elderkin or Idolator would make good comparisons. Also the Wendo are the named spirits who give them power, they may have effigies of them carried by the faithful. Those seen with the pirate crews often are dedicated to darker Wendo who like to cause chaos and physical experiences.
I am taking a different way with Bolgerie - even though it was completely by chance;
Bolgerie is the mercenary quarter in Florence, and so, this will be the mercenary province.

I am thinking, a few nods to the Black Company, and a few nods to the White one. Smile
Le Noir Faineant Wrote:I am taking a different way with Bolgerie - even though it was completely by chance;
Bolgerie is the mercenary quarter in Florence, and so, this will be the mercenary province.

I am thinking, a few nods to the Black Company, and a few nods to the White one. Smile

So your Bolgerie is not inhabited by Bolgers?

BTW, the name Bolgerie is my creation, but obviously based on the ethnic group called Bolgers, described in DA1.

-Havard
Yeah, I know. Strangely, fits well into what I had been planning.

As you know, my BM is firmly rooted in WL, and there, the Kingdom of Kharak is a proto-Mongolian empire,
with different warlords, mercenary lords, etc. so, I can happily put that in; also, since I am taking so many liberties with the setting,
I prefer to have a few puffers in there - places that serve as rather blank spaces, so I can do some wrapups.

Markovia, for example, as I have described it, is one - why? Because I don't know what the players might do with the North;
the same, Bolgerie serves as my puffer in the South. I don't even have a map of the Southern hemisphere yet,
but I have five provinces lined out pretty well. Bolgerie is my puffer there.