Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
Elven Timeline
Here's my first draft for an elven timeline. As usual the elves are the trickiest. Please critique this timeline, as there might be mistakes or bad decisions or things that I have forgotten to mention. Any feedback is welcome!

-5.000 The Cthonian Age comes to an end.
End of the Carnifex-Immortal War. Sar Aigu driven from the Blackmoor Peninsula by a mysterious force, in the shape of a Black Sphere.
(HW, DoCBM, MT)

Insellageth, the Dragonfather appears in the North.
(MT)

-2000 Age of Dragons
Dragons dominate the North(HW, CoCBM, DAB)

-1000 Age of Giants.
Giants drive away the Dragons and take control of the Northern Marches.
Since their creation by Ordana, the elves have been living secluded in forest realms, protected by forest spirits and Fey Lords. To the far south, the Elves establish the realm of Evergrun. (DoCBM)

-500 Burrower Wars
The Red Dragon Yealaletherveri dies in the final battle near the North Pole against Iscranin, the Great Anellid. (HoD)

Birth of the Elven Knight Maroon. (MT)

1 The First Civilizations.
The Childhood of Elves is over. Elves are seen in the North for the first time. Uhlmar is crowned King of the Elves of the North and Bestowed the True Crown of Elves by the Fey Lords. Halgred Forestwalker, a man from the Vales befriends King Uhlmar.
To the South, the Thonian Empire is founded. (HW, DAB)

Blackmoor Founded by Robert I of Geneva. (Ross)

Menander Ithamis, grandson of King Uhlmar is born (DAB)

500 War of Id
King Uhlmar forms an alliance with Thonians against the Temple of Id. Thonians betray Uhlmar and the elves are only able to destroy the Temple of Id at great cost. Lead by Uhlmar’s daughter, the Westryn split from the Cumasti elves. On his death bed, King Uhlmar curses the Westryn elves. The True Crown of the Elves is lost and the decline of the Elves begins. Menander's father becomes the new king of the Cumasti. (DAB, DoCNM, PG)

The elven wizard, Tel’aquassiru, dies from wounds suffered in the battle with the Temple of Id. At his request, his soul is transferred into the blade Feyhold so that he can remain an advisor to Cumasti kings. (FC4E)

Fey and elves migrate north in large numbers, being unhappy with the Thonian Empire PC1

710 The Long March of the Elves.

Human settlers in the Duchy of Ten drive off Westryn elves, forcing them to march across the Barrens of Kaarsh before finding solace in the Eaves. (DAB)

The Cumasti begin sending secret agents, called the Gen’ri, into the outside world. (PG)

The Human Archmage Merrick Fen begins studying Kargas’ notes and spellbooks, and compares notes with his friend, Mithgiliwyr Goss (cousin to the infamous Raddan Goss). (PG)

Merrick Fen and Mithgiliwyr Goss found the wizard’s organization known as the Ordo Elementarum, composed mainly by elves. Their base of operations is the Blood Wood.
(PG)
815-896 Mage Wars
This is the time of the Mage Wars (DAB)

Searching for allies, Raddan Goss makes the Ordo Elementarum the kind of offer you don’t say no to. Rather than to be drawn into war, the members of the Ordo Elementarum mass plane shift, only to return centuries later. (PG)

Furious that the Ordo Elementarum managed to escape, Raddan Goss curses the elves of the Bloodwood who sheltered the Order. (PG)
Raddan Goss curses the Blood Realm elves for betraying him. The wood becomes a haunted realm. (DAB, WC)

Lord Ithamis is killed. Menander Ithamis becomes Lord of the Redwood (DAB)

The Egg Rises. The lands begin to sink, causing massive flooding of elven realms.
(DAB)

Pete Becomes the Wizard of the Woods, gaining the friendship and loyalty of various Sylvan creatures. (Ross)

Elven forces successfully liberate Blackmoor town from the forces of the Egg. (DAB)

The Wizard of the Woods perishes in the Valley of the Ancients (Ross)

Sildons becomes the new Wizard of the Woods (DAB)

Menander Ithamis designated Lord of the Northern Elves.
(DAB)

Dwarven Steamsaw construct destroyed. Westryn Rangers suspected. (C&S)

The first elves from the Ordo Elementarum return to Blackmoor. (WC)

The Present. (DAB)

Age of the Wolf (Prophesized)

The Great Rain of Fire (Prophesized) (DA1)

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Impressive timeline. Smile
I noticed that there were no mentions of FFC.
Going strictly by that work, I wonder what one can deduce about any such diachronic material.
In your experience with Blackmoor material, do you think that the elves as envisioned by DLA and his peers are cast in the mold of JRRT, folkloric sources, or of their own invention?
DungeonDevil Wrote:Impressive timeline. Smile
I noticed that there were no mentions of FFC.
Going strictly by that work, I wonder what one can deduce about any such diachronic material.

Thanks! Some of the events in the Timeline are mentioned in the FFC, but as the FFC does not have a Timeline, I have found it easier to make the references to some of the later sources. I might go ahead and amend that though.

For instance, the liberation of Blackmoor by elves in 998 is mentioned in the FFC.

Quote:In your experience with Blackmoor material, do you think that the elves as envisioned by DLA and his peers are cast in the mold of JRRT, folkloric sources, or of their own invention?

Interesting question. It is difficult to say, but I do observe that while Gygax went to great length to distance himself from Tolkien, Arneson never made such a claim. Tolkien was obviously a great influence on Arneson and his players, although probably not the only one.

Ringlo Hall, the main holding of the elves, always reminded me of Elrond's Hall. Elves also seem reminscent of Tolkien in the role they play, showing up to aid the humans against the Orcs in times of dire need.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign