Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
City Maps: Vestfold
[Image: 8347511372_e103533ce7.jpg]

I've been experimenting with making city maps lately. This is the first one I am risking to share in public.

Let me know what you think! Smile

Facts about Vestfold:

1) It is the second largest city in the North (after Maus) and politically the most important one.
2) It has historically been the capital of the region (Seat of the Earl) and while Blackmoor City is now the official capital, it is still an important meeting place for the Regency Council.
3) It is the seat of the Wizards Cabal
4) The Thieves Guild plays a large role in controlling day-to-day affairs of the city.
5) Vestfold has been around since before the Mage Wars and was considered "neutral ground" at that time.

Some locations from the map:

Tower of Mages: Center of the Fortress of Ardenn, this is the base of the Wizards Cabal.
The Citadel: This is the meeting place of the Regency Council. Probably formerly the Palace of Earl Ra-All the Wise.
Circus Hill: Home of the famous Fairwind Circus
Tonnisborg: This fortress marks an early settlement of the region. The fortress was constructed by House Zvenzen.
Abbey of Fitz: This area is Church-land, but also adds to the City's defences.
The Guild District: Home of craftsmen, but also of the notorius Thieves Guild of Vestfold.

Notable Characters
Miklos Haruska aka Old Slyboots: Leader of the Vestfold Thieves Guild. Works to undermine the Regency Council.
Ursula Zov: High Spellwise of the Wizards Cabal
Mengal Torerdyn: High Spellwise of the Wizards Cabal
Kyoryl Maloune: High Spellwise of the Wizards Cabal
Veda Sonrean: High Spellwise of the Wizards Cabal
Col: The Clockwork Inquisitor. Agent of the Wizards Cabal.
Stur Nigby (Kyorl's friend, minor character)
Nakaniel Kingson aka Big Nake: Ringmaster of the Fairwind Circus
Flying Pembice Brothers: Erling Emson and Tolman Ocklam, two Circus performers
Delalsia the Unflinching: Dwarf female warrior, in charge of security at the Fairwind Circus

Historical Characters
Skelfer Ard: Founded the Wizards Cabal and the Fortress of Ardenn
Earl Ra-All the Wise: Former earl of Vestfold (diseased).

More City Maps

-Havard

Edit: The final version of the map has now been updated in this post.
Edit 2: Facts, locations and Characters of Vestfold added.
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Where would the circus be? Within the city or (more likely) outside the walls?
Rob
[Image: Trista-Thronesig-zps94e26f1f.png]
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | twitter | The Blog
I know that the eastern side of the city is theoretically the least troublesome, but there is virtually no defense (apart from destroying the bridges) from that side, if some enemy decides to circle around the city and then go through the bridges... maybe they should be removable or there should be a tower or something like that...
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land,
making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.
RobJN Wrote:Where would the circus be? Within the city or (more likely) outside the walls?

Ah, the Circus! I had forgotten about that.

Need to reread canon on the circus to see if anything is noted, but a circus on the fields outside the city walls does sound appropriate.

-Havard
Yaztromo Wrote:I know that the eastern side of the city is theoretically the least troublesome, but there is virtually no defense (apart from destroying the bridges) from that side, if some enemy decides to circle around the city and then go through the bridges... maybe they should be removable or there should be a tower or something like that...

Interesting comments. The Bridges and the Barleycorn Island were things that I added late in the process. I thought about having a Keep on the island. Would that work? Smile

-Havard
Havard Wrote:
Yaztromo Wrote:I know that the eastern side of the city is theoretically the least troublesome, but there is virtually no defense (apart from destroying the bridges) from that side, if some enemy decides to circle around the city and then go through the bridges... maybe they should be removable or there should be a tower or something like that...

Interesting comments. The Bridges and the Barleycorn Island were things that I added late in the process. I thought about having a Keep on the island. Would that work? Smile

-Havard

Really cool Havard. I would suggest you put a keep, or the ruins of a keep somewhere, to represent the "Fortress of Tonisberg" whose construction Svenny oversaw. Seems like your idea of putting it on Barleycorn island would make a lot of sense - unless Greg thinks otherwise.... Smile
Aldarron Wrote:I would suggest you put a keep, or the ruins of a keep somewhere, to represent the "Fortress of Tonisberg" whose construction Svenny oversaw. Seems like your idea of putting it on Barleycorn island would make a lot of sense - unless Greg thinks otherwise.... Smile

I feel really great about the fact that you can ask about this detail directly to the epic hero that oversaw the building in person!!!
Thanks for existing, Great Svenny! Tongue
Havard Wrote:The Bridges and the Barleycorn Island were things that I added late in the process. I thought about having a Keep on the island. Would that work? Smile

-Havard

That can be an option, otherwise you can move the Abbey to the landing of the eastern bridge, so that it acts as a defence as well... it just looked strange to me to have stone walls on a side and an open road on the other...
Aldarron Wrote:Really cool Havard. I would suggest you put a keep, or the ruins of a keep somewhere, to represent the "Fortress of Tonisberg" whose construction Svenny oversaw. Seems like your idea of putting it on Barleycorn island would make a lot of sense - unless Greg thinks otherwise.... Smile

You know, I am really liking this idea. Perhaps the hamlet on Barleycorn Island actually predates Vestfold itself, of perhaps they were two villages that grew into one over the years?

Like Yatz, I really like the idea of being able to tie this fortress to one of the legendary PCs/NPCs of the setting Smile

-Havard
Havard, I like your interpretation of things. Tonisborg was originally in the same location as Vestfold, so you could make it a ruin nearby or even put the ruins of Tonisborg under Vestfold. Or making the Barleycorn Island village built upon the ruins of Tonisborg would work, too. I am ok with however you want to do it.
[Image: Sven.png]
Baetho an Elf
The Vales campaign