** ARCHIVED FORUM - ANY CHANGES ARE REVERTED HOURLY **

It is currently Mar 29, 2024 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Curious about Dave Arneson's Player Characters
PostPosted: May 22, 2020 6:12 pm 
Serf
Serf

Hi, I've lurked around the Blackmoor and Mystara forums in the past, but this is my first time posting. I was curious about some Blackmoor history, and hoping to get responses from folks who know more, and maybe even from those who were there!

So, it is common knowledge that many Grayhawk NPCs in published material were originally player characters, like Mordenkainen (Gary Gygax) and Robilar (Rob Kuntz). I've also read that some Blackmoor NPCs also started as PCs. But I was wondering, are there any NPCs that originated as PCs of Dave Arneson himself? I've only read of him being the DM in Blackmoor games, did he have any recurring Player Characters that he liked to run?

Post subject: Re: Curious about Dave Arneson's Player Characters
PostPosted: May 23, 2020 12:15 pm 
Lord of the Regency Council

PostPosted: May 24, 2020 2:36 am 
Duke
Duke

There are also plenty of NPC names in Blackmoor canon that were originally other players in Blackmoor campaigns. One of the most illustrious is a true gentleman often present on this website.

PostPosted: May 25, 2020 8:38 pm 
Serf
Serf

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2020 10:40 pm 
Lord
Lord

Meaning no disrespect to anyone, but Dave was quite emphatic that Harchar was not a 'pirate'; he always described Harchar as "an honest, seafaring merchant". Dave managed to hornswoggle Phil with his "enhanced wealth management" schemes, and I -looking on with awe - would be able to describe Harchar and his merry crew as 'buccaneers' but never as mere 'pirates'. Blackbeard was an amateur compared to Dave's Harchar.

Dave was very well-versed in Technicolor 'swashbucklers', and I can only suggest a book that he suggested to me: George Macdonald Frasier's "The Pyrates", which was pretty much the Operations Manual for him.

"pirate"? Tcha, sirrah, and sink me for a lubber, else! You don't know the half of it.

Steve Lortz played Firebeard, of course. (He had the beard for it, so saving on make-up costs.) When he wasn't being a particularly demented dwarf, of course.

"My Lord, they're calling you a 'peasant'! Are you offended?"
"Nope. When you're an Imperial Governor, you usually get called *much* worse things..."

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2020 10:48 pm 
Lord
Lord

As far as I know, in the Banana Republic Game Dave played a student leader, who was supposed to win by distributing leaflets to the crowds. He, however, concocted a set of fake CIA credentials which the good Major allowed in the game; Dave then persuaded all the rest of the players that he was the CIA's man on the ground, and wound up convincing everyone to give him the national treasury and a helicopter to get out of the country.

As his last move in the game, I'm told that he dumped the briefcase with all the leaflets out of the helicopter, thus making his victory conditions. And then some.

Dave was - in my experience of him as a player - very fast, very quick, very clever, and always thinking outside the box. (Watching him and Phil trying to outwit each other made for the greatest gaming nights. Ever.)

"Nope. When you're an Imperial Governor, you usually get called *much* worse things..."

PostPosted: Jun 18, 2020 4:51 pm 

PostPosted: Jun 18, 2020 7:13 pm 
Lord
Lord

Thanks for your kind reply!

It's a semantic thing - Dave's Harchar was never a 'pirate'; he was always a swashbuckling buccaneer, but never a mere pirate. Dave's attitudes was that any idiot could be a pirate, but that it took brains and imagination to be "an honest seafaring merchant'. His 'wealth enhancement opportunities' were simply breath-taking in their scope and grandeur.

I think the best way you can get a feel for Dave and how he played is to look at "Secrets of Blackmoor", and listen to the people he gamed with - it'll give you a much better feel for him and his gaming that I ever could.

Steve was hysterically funny, and a great sculptor. I miss him a lot.

Watching Dave and Phil riff off of each other was simply spectacular. All the rest of us could do was hang on for dear life.