Poll: What is your favorite non-human race?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Elves
2 66.67%
Dwarves
1 33.33%
Halflings
0 0%
Docrae
0 0%
Gnomes
0 0%
Total 3 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
[Poll] Demihumans in Blackmoor?
My Blackmoor campaigns have usually been fairly human-centric. Also, I havent found the demihumans all that interesting.

What is your favorite non-human race in the Blackmoor setting (Canon or non-canonical) and what makes that race interesting to you?
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Me either. Dwarves and elves are interesting enough I suppose. I picked dwarves because I like to make them a little more sinister than usual and more underground and drow like. Gnomes, seem really pointless to me as they come off as goofy dwarves with an engineering fetish and that's completely unlike anything from folklore. Halflings add nice color to Blackmoor, but they're really just short englishmen with hairy feet.
Halflings. Blackmoor is one of the few fantasy worlds where the original short, plump hobbits can still be found.

The whole svelt, knife-weilding Kender assassin-thing doesn't do it for me.
*Sheridan
Check out my latest projects: The Fey Codex (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/237056) and Heart and Soul (levels 5-10, https://www.dmsguild.com/product/252178).
[Image: Tolleen.png]
sheridan Wrote:Halflings. Blackmoor is one of the few fantasy worlds where the original short, plump hobbits can still be found.

IIRC, hobbits (as a D&D race) got nerfed by the Tolkein estate.

sheridan Wrote:The whole svelt, knife-weilding Kender assassin-thing doesn't do it for me.

Again, this would seem to be something that was great design for Dragonlance, but was then ripped out of its original context and retconned into mainstream D&D halflings.

I think that does both Dragonlance's kender and D&D's halflings a disservice.
sheridan Wrote:Halflings. Blackmoor is one of the few fantasy worlds where the original short, plump hobbits can still be found.

Have to agree as well.

I'm guessing this is a reference to the 3E Halflings.

For the Docrae, I am making them more exotic still, emphasizing their braided hair, making their skin darker and making them cousings of the distant Karimari.

Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Havard Wrote:For the Docrae, I am making them more exotic still, emphasizing their braided hair, making their skin darker and making them cousings of the distant Karimari.

In the Midnight campaign setting, halflings are closely related to the dark-skinned (African-looking) wild elves of the southern jungles, although they're smaller still.
See, I actually like the svelte, boot-wearing Docrae vs the pot-bellied barefoot burglar hobbits from earlier editions. I really like that Blackmoor made a distinction between the classic and newer visions of halflings that rolled out with 3rd edition.

Also, not on the list, but half-sidhe, for obvious reasons Wink
Rob
[Image: Trista-Thronesig-zps94e26f1f.png]
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | twitter | The Blog
For me the most interesting are the Elves and all the interesting saga (divisions between clans and related root cause) that is connected to them in canon.

Anyway I agree with you that a human centric campaign is a very good choice for Blackmoor.
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land,
making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.
I had to pick dwarves because they are not jolly drunken, scottish comic relief in my mind, but dour, xenophobic, brave, tough, and they have secrets. What secrets? That's for them to know.

But I generally don't like to let players run demi-humans if they are supposed to fit into some sort of racial type. In my gonzo games, of course, anything goes.