Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
Lotus Eaters
I noticed that Arneson makes several references to Lotus Eaters in the FFC. I assume the reference is to the Island of the Lotus Eaters from the Odyssey, who are basically drug addicts who trick visitors into their ways making it impossible for them to leave. One reference in the description of the Duke of the Peaks made alot of sense in that respect since the Peaks are alot like the Island of the Lotus Eaters; a realm of physical pleasures while at the same time offering enslavement.

However seeing Lotus Eaters also being mentioned in the descriptions of Castle Blackmoor I begin to wonder if there is more than that?

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Havard Wrote:I noticed that Arneson makes several references to Lotus Eaters in the FFC. I assume the reference is to the Island of the Lotus Eaters from the Odyssey, who are basically drug addicts who trick visitors into their ways making it impossible for them to leave. One reference in the description of the Duke of the Peaks made alot of sense in that respect since the Peaks are alot like the Island of the Lotus Eaters; a realm of physical pleasures while at the same time offering enslavement.

However seeing Lotus Eaters also being mentioned in the descriptions of Castle Blackmoor I begin to wonder if there is more than that?

-Havard

I think its a RE Howard reference. IIRC Black Lotus was a common drug in the stories. In the Scharzeneggar conan movie, Subutai buys some and offers it to conan with the advice "chew slowly, it's the good stuff" I always found that amusing.
Interesting point about the Howard reference. It really fits my assumption of the people of the Peaks as decadent drug addicts. OTOH, the FFC reference mentions Lotus Eaters and Sirens in the same sentence...

-Havard
Aldarron Wrote:
Havard Wrote:I noticed that Arneson makes several references to Lotus Eaters in the FFC. I assume the reference is to the Island of the Lotus Eaters from the Odyssey, who are basically drug addicts who trick visitors into their ways making it impossible for them to leave. One reference in the description of the Duke of the Peaks made alot of sense in that respect since the Peaks are alot like the Island of the Lotus Eaters; a realm of physical pleasures while at the same time offering enslavement.

-Havard

I think its a RE Howard reference. IIRC Black Lotus was a common drug in the stories. In the Scharzeneggar conan movie, Subutai buys some and offers it to conan with the advice "chew slowly, it's the good stuff" I always found that amusing.

Yeah, I read this as "stoned cult members" as well. - Probably connected to the Id cult, or something.
I dug up the reference again in the Super Berries thread. Here's what was found in the FFC p 17 (Revised ed):

Dave Arneson Wrote:It is a timeless place wherin all who enter lose track of time. As with the Siren's call and the lsland of the Lotus Eater, there is no desire to leave.

The Island of the Lotus Eaters is definitely from the Odyssey. On the other hand, several elements from Greek mythology were brought into Blackmoor. For instance, the Pygmalion Statue also appears in Blackmoor. Could there be an actual Island of Lotus Eaters in this setting as well?

-Havard
By the way, every time that Lotus Eaters are mentioned, Sirens are mentioned as well, as if a fixed couple (of ideas?)
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land,
making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.