** ARCHIVED FORUM - ANY CHANGES ARE REVERTED HOURLY **

It is currently Mar 29, 2024 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: A Post I'm Not Happy About Writing...
PostPosted: Jul 25, 2017 2:16 pm 
Lord of the Regency Council

Hi guys,
I've been too busy to follow all the sites these last few months. As a general rule, let us try to avoid talking about conflicts on other forums here on this one as we don't want things to spill over to this place.

However, the purpose of this place has always been a place to celebrate all things Dave Arneson/Blackmoor and the history of gaming. I have always believed that it should be possible to talk about these things in a civil manner and respect different opinions. We have been luck to have people like Chirine, Gronan, Greg and others visiting this and other sites sharing your knowledge and memories here. This has been an amazing way to learn about topics that are of great interest to me and I am sure everyone here at The Comeback Inn. We are also lucky to have Jon Peterson come by here from time to time. He will always be welcome in this place.

If fans and researchers could only be able to have peaceful discussions, I think we could learn so much more than if we resort rudeness.

Note that I have not witnessed events that occurred, so trying to speak in general terms here.

-Havard

PostPosted: Jul 25, 2017 6:42 pm 
Baronette
Baronette

since 1975

"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
- Dave Arneson

PostPosted: Jul 25, 2017 6:47 pm 

PostPosted: Jul 25, 2017 7:55 pm 
Lord
Lord

Gentlemen, I agree with you both, on all points. I would like to say that I have never been made to feel unwelcome here on this forum, nor have any of the people here been rude or nasty. So, no problems here, that I know of. IIf anyone does have a question for me, then please feel free to ask away; I have the notifications set up to let me know of your interest.

If I may speak in general terms, what has caused me to rethink my involvement in the modern gaming environment has been the reaction of people who seem to have issues with first-hand play experience, as it does not seem to meet with their preconceptions of how games were played back in the day. My experience in Dave's Blackmoor may have been unique; we were playing with him primarily in the early 1980s, and you could tell that he'd had almost a decade of GM time under his belt. And there were differences with the 'published canon', as well; the Elves had not split into factions, and Gertie was a Great Golden Dragon - I suspect the 'grey' label came from the grey Plasticine that Dave had made her out of.

I think I occupy a niche of a niche of a niche, and if that's of interest, then I'm always happy to talk about it.

Thanks again, gents.

"My Lord, they're calling you a 'peasant'! Are you offended?"
"Nope. When you're an Imperial Governor, you usually get called *much* worse things..."