** ARCHIVED FORUM - ANY CHANGES ARE REVERTED HOURLY **

It is currently Mar 29, 2024 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Braunstein! on Drivethrurpg?
PostPosted: May 22, 2015 10:31 am 
Le Noir Faineant

Ranted quite a bit on FB about this; f* vulture marketeers. Way to take the fun out of our hobby.

PostPosted: May 22, 2015 11:22 am 
Lord of the Regency Council

Good news! :)

Today I can report that this dispute has been resolved amicably: http://blackmoormystara.blogspot.no/201 ... court.html

-Havard

PostPosted: May 30, 2015 8:04 pm 
Lord
Lord

A little bit of a follow-up; I e-mailed back and forth with Dave on this, and he's confident that - as Havard has so ably reported here and on his blog! - that this matter will be resolved; his lawyer is drafting the appropriate letters and agreements.

On a personal note, I found that this publication - no matter how well-intentioned - was just 'not on'. Dave is, for heaven's sake in the phone book and easily reachable; he was a guest at the recent Gary Con in Lake Geneva, for example.

Because of this, I have applied for a formal License from Maj. Wesely to become an Authorized Braunstein Referee, Certified To Run Braunsteins In An Authentic and Approved Manner - i.e., to try to keep ahead of the chaos. I will be displaying my license certificate at all future Bruansteins that I run...

And yes, I do find the idea that somebody could appropriate Dave's work, and try to use it to market something... :(

"My Lord, they're calling you a 'peasant'! Are you offended?"
"Nope. When you're an Imperial Governor, you usually get called *much* worse things..."

PostPosted: May 31, 2015 5:02 pm 

Hey Chirine!

Thanks for the update on this. I hope things will work out for the best here.

Initially I was just annoyed because I would have loved to see a book about Braunstein, how it was run and perhaps with guidelines to how to run new Braunstein Games of your own. However, I would only be interested if it was well researched and approved by Wesely himself. This one was not approved, nor did the author seem to really have taken the time to look into the history of the game, even though it is easy to find info on that on the web.

Furthermore, someone named Jack Vogel on Facebook who may or may not be an alternate identity for the author of the book was extremely antagonistic against anyone who criticised the book before Wesely took action. If he wasn't in fact the author operating under another name, he certainly did a bad job of defending him.

Anyway, hopefully this will be settled.

-Havard

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2015 9:51 am 
Lord
Lord

Agreed; I hope that this gets fixed.

I looked at the posts by Mr. Vogel. :shock:

If that's the actual author; he's got some issues. My feeling, based on what I could see, is that the person discovered the book, told people about it, and was angry that some of us who know Dave had issues with the book. Mr. Vogel certainly did not do the actual authors any favors - with friends like this, who needs enemies?

I found it quite fascinating that he took the position that since the book was dedicated to Maj. Wesely, and only cost $1.49 for the download, that made it all right to publish without the good Major's approval. Yes, I am quite aware that there may very well be no legal grounds for any possible action, but the whole thing struck me as quite unethical.

I mean, if you applied this same logic to my book about gaming with Prof. Barker ("To Serve The Petal Throne") it would be perfectly fine for me to simply dedicate the book to Prof. Barker - which I happen to have done anyway, as it seemed the thing to do - and put it up on DriveThruRPG or RPG Now for a minimal cost; never mind all that pesky IP, trademark, and copyright stuff. Would I ever do such a thing, just to make a fast buck?

No. Nyet. Non. Nada. In short, I think not. It might very well be, quote, "legal", unquote according to Mr. Vogel, but it would be wrong - unethical, I think is the phrase. And that, as near as I could tell from his posts on Facebook, was the thing he just could not wrap his head around... :roll:

(And people wonder why I try to limit my Internet presence...)

"Nope. When you're an Imperial Governor, you usually get called *much* worse things..."

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2015 11:02 am 
Serf
Serf

You might find this interesting: http://pitsperilous.blogspot.com/2015/0 ... stein.html

We really did think that the Braunstein story was shared history at this point, and apologize for the whole affair, both to Mr. Wesely and to anyone else. We wanted to produce an old-school historical RPG and link it to its origins. The good Major and I have discussed the matter and came away friends...

That said, we do have a right to defend ourselves. We are NOT vulture marketers. I'm a medically retired Air Force Captain, combat-disabled in Iraq while serving with the Army (they don't have meteorologists of their own) and take ethics and integrity seriously. Game design has been a sort of therapy for me, and my wife does her best to assist in the things I might have difficulty accomplishing for myself. Given how deeply personal gaming is for me, it was all-too-easy to get into my own head and ahead of myself...

Also, I'll always speak for myself and not hide behind pseudonyms (more chivalrous), and so here I am.

Once again, I'm deeply sorry and grateful to now call Mr. Wesely a friend. His graciousness is beyond compare and we thank him!

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2015 9:28 pm 
Lord
Lord

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2015 10:43 pm 
Serf
Serf

Thank you! You know, I think I've heard of the Star Wars Braunstein, possibly on your site in some past online excursion or another. At any rate, it sounds incredibly fun, and not just because of the infamous rogues gallery involved (although that must have been a blast)!

Wesely is a fantastic guy for sure... :D

You make a good point about the very broad applications of the traditional Braunstein playing style, and I think we'll take that on board as we firm up the release. As a role-player myself, I feel like Wesely fathered two branches of the gaming tree, and am deeply honored that the good Major found our rules acceptable to explore his work as it might pertain to the RPG side of the coin, so to speak...

Thanks for the kind words and the sage advice, and see you around the forums!

PostPosted: Jun 02, 2015 7:41 am 
Lord
Lord

PostPosted: Jun 02, 2015 11:12 am 
Baronette
Baronette

since 1975

"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
- Dave Arneson