** ARCHIVED FORUM - ANY CHANGES ARE REVERTED HOURLY **

It is currently Apr 18, 2024 3:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Creature of Havoc!
PostPosted: Apr 13, 2013 9:36 am 
Duke
Duke

As some of you may know, I recently went back to Fighting Fantasy products after over twenty years and I recently picked up (second hand, for almost no money) "Creature of Havoc".

It is a MASTERPIECE!

A great entertaining adventure, probably the best gaming experience of my life (and I'm not a schoolboy anymore...).

What is more relevant for this site, there are quite a lot of Blackmoor related themes and flavour that could be very successfully woven into Blackmoor fan production: from Toadmen in swamps, to Beastmen, to warping magic... I can really see interesting similarities!

The only thing that you have to do, before starting playing, is to go to paragraph 213, score the first phrase "You reach a dead end" and replace with "You find yourself at a dead end". Maybe at the beginning of the game this sounds like a trivial and meaningless change to you, but at some point you'll realize what it means. :mrgreen:

Done?

Now you can start playing!

Don't expect an easy adventure: don't forget mapping, notes taking and, above all, don't expect to get to the end of the adventure at the first attempt (I think it took me over fifty attempts!), but once you will succeed, you'll be jumping and screaming like me now!!! :lol:

You start as a powerful but dumb creature (the Creature of Havoc, of course), you know nothing, you can't speak nor understand a language and you start wandering aimlessly in a dungeon, led just by chance and instinct.
You can't choose much at this stage: sometimes you decide something and your body does something slightly different as you are a monstrosity driven by hunger and rage.
At certain points you'll regain the power of reason, so you'll be able to choose where you want to go, instead of being led by chance and instincts, but you won't really understand what caused this change until very late in the adventure.
Then, after a while, you'll learn how to understand other people and how to read written words.
With the help of some object that you found in your wandering in the dungeon, you'll be able to reach and defeat the Master of the dungeon where you crawled insofar.
Finally you can get out to the surface world and slowly, in a very atmospheric climax, you start understanding where you came from and you realize that you have a destiny unknown to yourself as well.
After wandering with more and more aim through haunted villages and marshes, you finally get into the flying galley where your final destiny will be revealed with last plot twist!

It is simply CREAT! Nothing more, nothing less.

Enjoy it!

The only taint is that phrase to be corrected at paragraph 213... :roll:

Post subject: Re: Creature of Havoc!
PostPosted: Apr 18, 2013 3:38 am 
Lord of the Regency Council
Lord of the Regency Council

Post subject: Re: Creature of Havoc!
PostPosted: Apr 18, 2013 2:28 pm 
Duke
Duke

Do you have / know this book?
In Amazon UK you can get it second hand for one pence + stamps.
Have a look at it, and if you get stuck I can give you a couple of hints...