Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
The Hello Thread!
Who is here yet? Say hello! Smile

Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Hi all and congrats to the team on the new forum! It looks great and it is wonderful to see so many familiar folks already here and active.

Good gaming!

Ray B.
Greetings all!

I'm looking forward to reading all kinds of interesting stuff about Blackmoor here. I must confess that I have never played in Blackmoor, and my games are almost always placed in worlds of my own creation. That doesn't stop me from enjoying reading about other worlds, though!

My first taste of Blackmoor was in the Hollow World boxed set, but it did not stand out in my mind. Years later I found The First Fantasy Campaign, and that's where my appreciation blossomed.

Thank you for the heads up for this forum, Havard, and thank you for your awesome blog!

Alfred
dragonier Wrote:Hi all and congrats to the team on the new forum! It looks great and it is wonderful to see so many familiar folks already here and active.

Ray,
good to see you here my friend! Smile

Havard
garolek Wrote:Thank you for the heads up for this forum, Havard, and thank you for your awesome blog!

Alfred

Thanks for the kind words Alfred! I am glad you decided to sign up. Not everyone understands how wonderful the FFC is, so its cool to hear that this is what turned you onto Blackmoor. What was it about this amazing book that really made you like the setting? Smile

Havard
Havard Wrote:Ray,
good to see you here my friend! Smile

Havard

Thanks Havard!

I'm trying my luck with a New Year's resolution this year. While it may be a little bit of wishful thinking to hope for more actual gaming time this year (what with two small children and my wife working hard to build her freelance writing & editing business :? ), I think it might actually be within the realm of reality to try to write down and share all the strange and twisted Blackmoor & Mystara ideas that have been rattling around in my head. I can't think of a better group to bounce ideas off, and hopefully I'll be able to consolidate some of the refined material into a website of my own.

Here's hoping! Big Grin

Ray B.
dragonier Wrote:I'm trying my luck with a New Year's resolution this year. While it may be a little bit of wishful thinking to hope for more actual gaming time this year (what with two small children and my wife working hard to build her freelance writing & editing business :? ), I think it might actually be within the realm of reality to try to write down and share all the strange and twisted Blackmoor & Mystara ideas that have been rattling around in my head. I can't think of a better group to bounce ideas off, and hopefully I'll be able to consolidate some of the refined material into a website of my own.

Sounds great! We are all looking forward to hearing your ideas about Blackmoor. And did you say a website of your own? That would be very interesting! Smile

Havard
Hey, finally had some time to sit down and get plugged in over here.

Nice place. Could use better curtains, though.... Big Grin
Rob
[Image: Trista-Thronesig-zps94e26f1f.png]
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | twitter | The Blog
Hello Rob!

Hehe, there is certainly room for suggesting improvements to this place. Curtains you say? Wink

Maybe you could share some of your ideas on Blackmoor derived from Thorn's Chronicle with us? Smile

Havard
I am a fan of the 3rd edition rule system, but although I no longer want to play AD&D, I am a greater fan of the 2nd edition era (and the vast number of different campaign settings that were published during that era).

Back during my AD&D days, I saw the differences between AD&D and OD&D as a barrier to me being able to understand products from that line.

However, since converting over to 3rd edition, I have become excited (and impressed) by the various communities that have been converting older material to the d20 System rules.

I've recently become interested in D&D campaign settings in general, and Blackmoor's place as the first D&D setting has made me interested in talking about it over at The Piazza's Blackmoor forum.

I recently picked up my first (and so far only) Blackmoor product: the paperback version of Dave Arneson's Blackmoor (the 3e version from ZGG). I understand that First Fantasy Campaign is a free download from Dave Arneson's archived website, but have not yet grabbed it.

My main motivation for looking at multiple D&D worlds, is to eventually be able to use them in a world hopping campaign that uses Spelljammer as a way to visit every known D&D world. But I am also interested in these worlds from the same sort of intellectual point of view as Garolek seems to have.

I also recently picked up Robert S. Conley's Suppliment VI: The Majestic Wilderlands (a reboot of the Wilderlands campaign setting), but do not have any other Wilderlands products yet. I have no Mystara products at this time.

I do have some Greyhawk products, but not as many as I would like.

So I am interested in Blackmoor as it exists in its own right, as well as how it could work with these other three settings. In fact I am also interested in how it could specifically work without the other settings, so that I could use the settings as different worlds in the same campaign (if I decide to go down that route).

Ideally, I would like to see Blackmoor fandom get to the stage where a group of fans set up an encyclopaedia of Blackmoor (rather like Forgotten Realms Wiki, The Great Library of Greyhawk, Dragonlance Lexicon, Planewalker's Planescape encyclopaedia/wiki). I would like to see this sort of thing done for every D&D world (and have started work on what will eventually be an encyclopaedic wiki for Spelljammer).

I would also like to see fandom eventually do other stuff for Blackmoor. Maps, art, stories and anything else that people want to make. I think that circumstances have held the setting back and that the hobbling that was applied to commercial Blackmoor is something that need not apply to fanon Blackmoor.