** ARCHIVED FORUM - ANY CHANGES ARE REVERTED HOURLY **

It is currently Mar 29, 2024 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sauna's Fantasy Comics Thread
PostPosted: Jun 27, 2012 12:10 pm 
Freeholder
Freeholder

Decided to beging going through my collection of fantasy/mythology themed comics on a re-read round (on the porch) and thought I'd drop a few comments about everything I read. So people might maybe find something new or at least comment on stuff they have also read. Started out with a hardcover collection of the few first albums of Peter Madsen's Valhalla:

Think of Asterix meets the Norse myths. Quite cartoony stuff, with a lot of jokes (and not all of them aimed at kids) but also heavily drawing from the myths. And they have pop-culture references too, with cameos from characters created for Marvel's Thor and Conan ze Barbarian. All in all very nice comic, there's at least a dozen albums out in Danish (and various other nordic languages) and I'm certain there are some english translations, but don't know how many (and fan-translated scans float around the seedy underside of the internet). I'm reading this in swedish myself, as these awesome hardcover collections are from Sweden and I lack many of the earlier albums in Finnish. So, yes, fun - nothing overly dark, but not for only wee kids either. Quite easy way to dip into the norse myth (and fun contrast to Marvel's Thor).

Post subject: Re: Sauna's Fantasy Comics Thread
PostPosted: Jun 27, 2012 6:06 pm 
Lord of the Regency Council
Lord of the Regency Council

I love Valhalla! I think I have all of the comics lying around somewhere. The cameos of Conan and the Warriors Three from Marvel were pretty cool. I also seem remember seeing Freyja's naughty bits in one of the issues?

The balance between pretty serious mythological stories and comedy is quite clever. :)

-Havard

Post subject: Re: Sauna's Fantasy Comics Thread
PostPosted: Jun 28, 2012 5:28 am 
Freeholder
Freeholder

Hehe, yeah, it also has at least boobies. Also fun stuff with Freja when Vili and Ve act all pervygeezery towards her when they are running the show in album #3 :D