The Dave Arneson's Blackmoor Discussion Forum



It is currently Nov 21, 2017 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The Hello Thread!
PostPosted: Sep 09, 2017 5:09 pm 
Offline
Serf
Serf
User avatar

Joined: Sep 09, 2017 4:27 pm
Posts: 4
Hello all you Thonians and Peshwah!
I'm new to the Comeback Inn, and a gamer since 1982. I've enjoyed D&D, AD&D 1st and 2nd +, RuneQuest, Tunnels and Trolls, Man Myth and Magic, GURPS, and Advanced Fighting Fantasy, and plenty more.
Looking forward to chatting with you all!
Cheers,
Bud


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Hello Thread!
PostPosted: Sep 10, 2017 7:07 am 
Offline
Lord of the Regency Council
Lord of the Regency Council
User avatar

Joined: Nov 17, 2009 2:48 pm
Posts: 6004
Location: Norway, Europe
Bud wrote:
Hello all you Thonians and Peshwah!
I'm new to the Comeback Inn, and a gamer since 1982. I've enjoyed D&D, AD&D 1st and 2nd +, RuneQuest, Tunnels and Trolls, Man Myth and Magic, GURPS, and Advanced Fighting Fantasy, and plenty more.
Looking forward to chatting with you all!
Cheers,
Bud


Hello Bud!

Welcome to The Comeback Inn!

I have now bumped you up so that you no longer need approval for posting. Looking forward to more gaming talk! :)

-Havard

_________________
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Hello Thread!
PostPosted: Sep 10, 2017 1:09 pm 
Offline
Serf
Serf

Joined: Sep 05, 2017 2:22 pm
Posts: 2
Friends,

I have been playing since 1989, when we waited at the Waldenbooks two towns over for the 2nd Edition Player's Handbook to arrive. We didn't have a Monstrous Compendium or a Dungeon Master's Guide, so - with no monsters to fight - we just fought one another's characters. It took some time for our group to realize this is not the typical way to play.

Since then, I've been playing regularly and in a much moor [sic] cooperative manner. I discovered Blackmoor in the 1990s when I was in college in Tennessee (after all, Al Gore was a senator from that state when he invented the internet). When it arrived from eBay, "Temple of the Frog," blew my mind and changed the way I approached what was possible in "fantasy" roleplaying. I really appreciated the "you got sci-fi in my fantasy"/"you got fantasy in my sci-fi" approach that module opened up for our table.

I had the opportunity to meet Mr. Arneson in 2004. I thanked him for everything. He was incredibly gracious and even posed for a picture with me.

I am excited to have found this community and look forward to virtually interacting with this community.

Cheers and Hello,
Bob


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Hello Thread!
PostPosted: Sep 11, 2017 10:15 pm 
Offline
Count
Count
User avatar

Joined: Oct 26, 2012 2:46 pm
Posts: 1299
Bud wrote:
Hello all you Thonians and Peshwah!
I'm new to the Comeback Inn, and a gamer since 1982. I've enjoyed D&D, AD&D 1st and 2nd +, RuneQuest, Tunnels and Trolls, Man Myth and Magic, GURPS, and Advanced Fighting Fantasy, and plenty more.
Looking forward to chatting with you all!
Cheers,
Bud

Unbelievable! I'm not the only one playing with Advanced Fighting Fantasy! :shock: 8) :P

_________________
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land,
making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Hello Thread!
PostPosted: Sep 14, 2017 3:25 pm 
Offline
Lord of the Regency Council
Lord of the Regency Council
User avatar

Joined: Feb 02, 2010 4:27 pm
Posts: 1679
Location: TX, USA
aquabob79 wrote:
Friends,

I have been playing since 1989, when we waited at the Waldenbooks two towns over for the 2nd Edition Player's Handbook to arrive. We didn't have a Monstrous Compendium or a Dungeon Master's Guide, so - with no monsters to fight - we just fought one another's characters. It took some time for our group to realize this is not the typical way to play.

Since then, I've been playing regularly and in a much moor [sic] cooperative manner. I discovered Blackmoor in the 1990s when I was in college in Tennessee (after all, Al Gore was a senator from that state when he invented the internet). When it arrived from eBay, "Temple of the Frog," blew my mind and changed the way I approached what was possible in "fantasy" roleplaying. I really appreciated the "you got sci-fi in my fantasy"/"you got fantasy in my sci-fi" approach that module opened up for our table.

I had the opportunity to meet Mr. Arneson in 2004. I thanked him for everything. He was incredibly gracious and even posed for a picture with me.

I am excited to have found this community and look forward to virtually interacting with this community.

Cheers and Hello,
Bob

Welcome to the Comeback Inn, Bob!

Hope you'll share some tales of your groups' exploits in Blackmoor with us. Did you stick to Blackmoor-as-written, or did your group add their own touches to it?

While I've read DA2 several times, I've never actually run it. Likewise, DA1 -- I bought it mostly for the background material (and, man, is there a lot packed into that module!). I'm currently using a... version of the Inn in my play-by-post here on the forums, down there in the Emerald Room, where the science and fantasy are very much mashed together. (Okay, so it might be a bit more science-y at the moment...)

_________________
Rob
Image
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Hello Thread!
PostPosted: Sep 14, 2017 3:27 pm 
Offline
Lord of the Regency Council
Lord of the Regency Council
User avatar

Joined: Feb 02, 2010 4:27 pm
Posts: 1679
Location: TX, USA
Bud wrote:
Hello all you Thonians and Peshwah!
I'm new to the Comeback Inn, and a gamer since 1982. I've enjoyed D&D, AD&D 1st and 2nd +, RuneQuest, Tunnels and Trolls, Man Myth and Magic, GURPS, and Advanced Fighting Fantasy, and plenty more.
Looking forward to chatting with you all!
Cheers,
Bud

... but have you ported Blackmoor into each of those games?

_________________
Rob
Image
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Hello Thread!
PostPosted: Sep 19, 2017 5:07 pm 
Offline
Rafael
Rafael
User avatar

Joined: Nov 19, 2009 6:47 am
Posts: 5527
Location: Germany
Yeah, please elaborate your connection to Blackmoor, if you like! :)

_________________
The Last Fantasy Campaign: 2005-2015.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Hello Thread!
PostPosted: Oct 01, 2017 8:09 am 
Offline
Serf
Serf

Joined: Oct 01, 2017 7:53 am
Posts: 2
Location: The Garden Of England
Hi! I'm Salem Saberhagen aka Tim (host of the HeroPress blog) and a long time fan of Dave's Blackmoor setting. One of my earliest purchases back in the day was The First Fantasy Campaign book from Judges Guild and I pored over it incessantly (as well as <b>The Arduin</b> booklets - I find great inspiration in what the 'old masters' did with their campaigns when 'everything was new')

Since returning to the gaming fold, setting up a gaming group almost a decade ago, while we only get to play once a month, the majority of our games are generally what you would term 'old school' (our current campaign, which I am a player in, is second edition Top Secret), but my heart truly belongs to Dungeons & Dragons. My ever-elusive dream is to run an open-ended campaign in the style of Blackmoor, Greyhawk, Arduin etc

_________________
For a daily slice of geek visit HeroPress


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Hello Thread!
PostPosted: Oct 01, 2017 8:49 am 
Offline
Lord of the Regency Council
Lord of the Regency Council
User avatar

Joined: Nov 17, 2009 2:48 pm
Posts: 6004
Location: Norway, Europe
salem saberhagen wrote:
Hi! I'm Salem Saberhagen aka Tim (host of the HeroPress blog) and a long time fan of Dave's Blackmoor setting. One of my earliest purchases back in the day was The First Fantasy Campaign book from Judges Guild and I pored over it incessantly (as well as <b>The Arduin</b> booklets - I find great inspiration in what the 'old masters' did with their campaigns when 'everything was new')

Since returning to the gaming fold, setting up a gaming group almost a decade ago, while we only get to play once a month, the majority of our games are generally what you would term 'old school' (our current campaign, which I am a player in, is second edition Top Secret), but my heart truly belongs to Dungeons & Dragons. My ever-elusive dream is to run an open-ended campaign in the style of Blackmoor, Greyhawk, Arduin etc


Hello Tim/Salem!

Welcome to the Comeback Inn! :)

I have bumped you up to regular poster status, so you no longer need to have your posts approved.

If you want access to the free downloads and stuff, you need to request it over here ;)

-Havard

_________________
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Hello Thread!
PostPosted: Oct 07, 2017 11:14 pm 
Offline
Serf
Serf

Joined: Jun 25, 2017 9:24 pm
Posts: 3
Hi all, I am interested in viewing the site and reviewing the resources available. I'm an admin/librarian over at RPGGeek.com and I'm always looking for potential new documents to add to the wiki over there.

Thanks!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Copyright © The Comeback Inn
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group