The Dave Arneson's Blackmoor Discussion Forum

It is currently Sep 24, 2017 9:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
 Post subject: Re: The Hello Thread!
PostPosted: Sep 09, 2017 5:09 pm 
Serf
Serf

Hello all you Thonians and Peshwah!
I'm new to the Comeback Inn, and a gamer since 1982. I've enjoyed D&D, AD&D 1st and 2nd +, RuneQuest, Tunnels and Trolls, Man Myth and Magic, GURPS, and Advanced Fighting Fantasy, and plenty more.
Looking forward to chatting with you all!
Cheers,
Bud

PostPosted: Sep 10, 2017 7:07 am 
Lord of the Regency Council

Bud wrote:
I'm new to the Comeback Inn, and a gamer since 1982. I've enjoyed D&D, AD&D 1st and 2nd +, RuneQuest, Tunnels and Trolls, Man Myth and Magic, GURPS, and Advanced Fighting Fantasy, and plenty more.
Cheers,
Bud

Hello Bud!

Welcome to The Comeback Inn!

I have now bumped you up so that you no longer need approval for posting. Looking forward to more gaming talk! :)

-Havard

PostPosted: Sep 10, 2017 1:09 pm 
Serf
Serf

Friends,

I have been playing since 1989, when we waited at the Waldenbooks two towns over for the 2nd Edition Player's Handbook to arrive. We didn't have a Monstrous Compendium or a Dungeon Master's Guide, so - with no monsters to fight - we just fought one another's characters. It took some time for our group to realize this is not the typical way to play.

Since then, I've been playing regularly and in a much moor [sic] cooperative manner. I discovered Blackmoor in the 1990s when I was in college in Tennessee (after all, Al Gore was a senator from that state when he invented the internet). When it arrived from eBay, "Temple of the Frog," blew my mind and changed the way I approached what was possible in "fantasy" roleplaying. I really appreciated the "you got sci-fi in my fantasy"/"you got fantasy in my sci-fi" approach that module opened up for our table.

I had the opportunity to meet Mr. Arneson in 2004. I thanked him for everything. He was incredibly gracious and even posed for a picture with me.

I am excited to have found this community and look forward to virtually interacting with this community.

Cheers and Hello,
Bob

PostPosted: Sep 11, 2017 10:15 pm 
Count
Count

Bud wrote:
Cheers,
Bud

Unbelievable! I'm not the only one playing with Advanced Fighting Fantasy! :shock: 8) :P

PostPosted: Sep 14, 2017 3:25 pm 

aquabob79 wrote:
Friends,

I have been playing since 1989, when we waited at the Waldenbooks two towns over for the 2nd Edition Player's Handbook to arrive. We didn't have a Monstrous Compendium or a Dungeon Master's Guide, so - with no monsters to fight - we just fought one another's characters. It took some time for our group to realize this is not the typical way to play.

Since then, I've been playing regularly and in a much moor [sic] cooperative manner. I discovered Blackmoor in the 1990s when I was in college in Tennessee (after all, Al Gore was a senator from that state when he invented the internet). When it arrived from eBay, "Temple of the Frog," blew my mind and changed the way I approached what was possible in "fantasy" roleplaying. I really appreciated the "you got sci-fi in my fantasy"/"you got fantasy in my sci-fi" approach that module opened up for our table.

I had the opportunity to meet Mr. Arneson in 2004. I thanked him for everything. He was incredibly gracious and even posed for a picture with me.

I am excited to have found this community and look forward to virtually interacting with this community.

Cheers and Hello,
Bob

Welcome to the Comeback Inn, Bob!

Hope you'll share some tales of your groups' exploits in Blackmoor with us. Did you stick to Blackmoor-as-written, or did your group add their own touches to it?

While I've read DA2 several times, I've never actually run it. Likewise, DA1 -- I bought it mostly for the background material (and, man, is there a lot packed into that module!). I'm currently using a... version of the Inn in my play-by-post here on the forums, down there in the Emerald Room, where the science and fantasy are very much mashed together. (Okay, so it might be a bit more science-y at the moment...)

PostPosted: Sep 14, 2017 3:27 pm 

Bud wrote:
Cheers,
Bud

... but have you ported Blackmoor into each of those games?

PostPosted: Sep 19, 2017 5:07 pm 
Le Noir Faineant
Le Noir Faineant

Yeah, please elaborate your connection to Blackmoor, if you like! :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22