Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
In search of Blackmoor's unknown
Re-reading B1 In search of the Unknown, I wonder how it's related to Blackmoor. The story of Roghan and Zelligar, with all its details, seems to ba real game story, in a pre-1979 campaign. I asked myself first if these heroes couldn't be Arneson and Gygax - cos' Zelligar looks very Gygaxian, but most details fits better former PCs. We don't have many clues, but :
- there are barbarians in the north [ok, it fits 99% of rpgs setting]
- there are pirates, as Roghan fought them [the same, but it means Quasqueton is not so far from a sea]
- Roghan is abble to defeat hundreds of barbarians [maybe a narrative figure, but absolutely possible with the Arneson fighting system, as reported by Svennie]
- Mike Carr was one of the original Blackmoor players.
- Quasqueton is a real US city name - something which fits the C&C map idea.

Could B1 refers to the early Blackmoor era? Thoughts?
Interesting idea!

Good point about the Quasqueton/Original Campaign. I never put those two together in spite of knowing that it is a real town...

I've been in touch with Carr, but he is very busy and still hasnt answered the questions Ive send him. I will ask him again, but I dont want to be too annoying either Smile

Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
That. The entire B1/etc. stuff is pure C&C society.

Means, there is more Blackmoor/compatibility in it than the authors might want to admit.
Another curious thing I noticed today. The magic-user & fighter, former adventurers, living in the same base is a welll-known feature of T1. This module was edited by Mike Carr. Curious.
snorri Wrote:- Quasqueton is a real US city name - something which fits the C&C map idea.

Could B1 refers to the early Blackmoor era? Thoughts?

It is!? I'll have to look that up.

Carr's rules and comments in B1 definetly show Blackmoor roots, but the place itself doesn't quite fit in Blackmoor geography in my mind, but may be perfect as a Duchy of Ten setting or some such.
If we stick to the idea that Greyhawk is roughly Chicago and Blakmoor, Milwaukee, the original Quasqueton is west of both, on a middle line. So, it could fit the Duchy of Ten, you're right. It need a closer look.
Why keep stuff on the map?

Why not put Quasqueton in the area beyond the West? Smile
could. But beyond Ten is only Karsh, peshwa and aifridhi lands, (or the vales, which don't really seem to fit in so I'm dropping them from my map) whereas Q seems to be not too far from civilization. Maybe Karsh/Ten borderland is a better location.
Well, I liked the location of the Vales chosen by Havard, s/w of the VoA.

I would drop Quasqeton in there, maybe as some sort of old capital of a prpvince of the Great Kingdom.

The original map of BM is just too stuffed, IMO.
Do you know about the city of Mondburgh in the LFC?

Since it's located over a previously abandoned city/dungeon, this could be old Quasqueton!

What about locating Q. in Blackmoor's past? Smile