Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
Garbage tidbits
heh. Garbage pit of despair of course. I just finished looking through it again to see if there were some place names I didn't recognize. There were three appearing as a part of the name of persons (like Terrence of Walworth). They are

Walworth
Stone Brook
Dinsbury

Are any of these familiar to anybody?

As an aside, (and Havard did you know this?) the authorities (governors, barons, whatever) of the Duchy of Ten are called Satraps. I'd guess that would be true of the Dot Peaks too.
Aldarron Wrote:heh. Garbage pit of despair of course. I just finished looking throught it again to see if there were some place names I didn't recognize. There were three appearing as a part of the name of persons (like Terrence of Walworth). They are

Walworth
Stone Brook
Dinsbury

As an aside, (and Havard did you know this?) the authorities (governors, barons, whatever) of the Duchy of Ten are called Sartraps. I'd guess that would be true of the Dot Peaks too.
Well, I typed in all the map names (twice) while doing my combined DA3/DA4 map, but I'll admit I don't recognise those 3.
[Image: JamesPren.png]

Davey Carter Human Swordmaster
Tales from the Vales

View my maps on flickr | Blackmoor Maps on Dropbox | Wilderlands Maps on Dropbox
Aldarron Wrote:heh. Garbage pit of despair of course. I just finished looking through it again to see if there were some place names I didn't recognize. There were three appearing as a part of the name of persons (like Terrence of Walworth). They are

Walworth
Stone Brook
Dinsbury

Great idea of minining this adventure for concepts Dan! I found another one as well:

* Fenstien

Of the names above, the only one I recognize is Walworth. Walworth is most likely a Duchy in Thonia or other southern lands. The Earl of Walworth was the persona of Gary Gygax in the Castles & Crusades Society...

For Dinsbury, I might suggest that as being somewhere in the Vales, as Monaca of Dinsbury is a druid. I see the Valemen as a Druidic folk.

Couldnt locate Stone Brook right away?

Quote:As an aside, (and Havard did you know this?) the authorities (governors, barons, whatever) of the Duchy of Ten are called Satraps. I'd guess that would be true of the Dot Peaks too.

Hadn't noticed that. Satrap is originally a persian term, but also used by Alexander the Great for his governors. A bit odd. Not sure what to make of it...?

Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
More on Satrap from the Wikipedia:

"The word satrap is also often used in modern literature to refer to world leaders or governors who are heavily influenced by larger world superpowers or hegemonies and act as their surrogates."

I guess this could also apply to the Duchy of Ten leaders (Pre-invasion)?

Havard
Havard Wrote:Great idea of minining this adventure for concepts Dan! I found another one as well:

* Fenstien
Awsome!

Quote: Of the names above, the only one I recognize is Walworth. Walworth is most likely a Duchy in Thonia or other southern lands. The Earl of Walworth was the persona of Gary Gygax in the Castles & Crusades Society...

Interesting! Sounds like a province name to me too.

Quote:For Dinsbury, I might suggest that as being somewhere in the Vales, as Monaca of Dinsbury is a druid. I see the Valemen as a Druidic folk.

Couldnt locate Stone Brook right away?

Probably Arneson vaguely thought of these as towns or provinces but they could just as likely be kingdoms and since there are nameless kingdoms I'm going to use some as kingdom names. Interestingly, like Blackmoor, Great Kingdom, and Vestfold, these are all two word descriptor names:

Stone Brook (obvious, could be written as Stonebrook?)
Dins + bury - Downs? fort/castle
Fen + stein - swamp rock

Food for thought.

Quote:Hadn't noticed that. Satrap is originally a persian term, but also used by Alexander the Great for his governors. A bit odd. Not sure what to make of it...?

Well, perhaps there are ten Satraps in an oligarchy; hence the "duchy of ten". Your mention of Alexander reminds me of the Kipling storey "The Man who would be King" Prolly no connection though.

[/quote]
Aldarron Wrote:[
Quote: Of the names above, the only one I recognize is Walworth. Walworth is most likely a Duchy in Thonia or other southern lands. The Earl of Walworth was the persona of Gary Gygax in the Castles & Crusades Society...

Interesting! Sounds like a province name to me too.

Yep. Well actually, it is a province in Wisconsin. Still, might make sense to make it a province in Thonia, or an independent Duchy to the south of the Empire.

Quote:Stone Brook (obvious, could be written as Stonebrook?)
Dins + bury - Downs? fort/castle
Fen + stein - swamp rock

Food for thought.

Interesting analysis!

Quote:Well, perhaps there are ten Satraps in an oligarchy; hence the "duchy of ten". Your mention of Alexander reminds me of the Kipling storey "The Man who would be King" Prolly no connection though.

Duchy of Ten was indeed named after Ten nobles. Some later references describes it as the Duchy of Ten Heroes, but I think that might be a ZG invention. Not really sure though.

Smile

Havard