Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
Underwater Adventures in Blackmoor
PC3 the Sea People is one of those products that I really love for Classic D&D, but which I also never got to use as much as I wanted. Supplement II: Blackmoor also has rules for underwater adventures, making me wonder what secrets the Black Sea might hold?

More on the Denizens of the Black Sea.

Any ideas?

Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Blackmoor also offers an abundance of freshwater adventures too. Lake Gloomy and some of those deep swamp channels. Freshwater merfolk, nixies, bullywugs, sunken temples to nefarious amphibious gods.
AKsuel Wrote:Blackmoor also offers an abundance of freshwater adventures too. Lake Gloomy and some of those deep swamp channels. Freshwater merfolk, nixies, bullywugs, sunken temples to nefarious amphibious gods.

Indeed! The last part about the temples is particularly evocative! Smile

On a related note, could Supplement II be read as an indication of which creatures are common in Blackmoor? If you want to stay true to Arneson, perhaps not, but the monsters presented there did have the Blackmoor logo hanging over their heads for all these years...

Havard
Havard Wrote:On a related note, could Supplement II be read as an indication of which creatures are common in Blackmoor? If you want to stay true to Arneson, perhaps not, but the monsters presented there did have the Blackmoor logo hanging over their heads for all these years...

I've gotten a lot of use out of Sahaguin and Morkoth over the years, but looking at a map of Blackmoor I'd say that they would be more likely to terrorize the depths of the North Sea. Perhaps the EGG would import some to keep the forces of good from being able to land ships on the shores of his realm?

The Sahaguin (and Lovecraft's Deep Ones) creep me out - but I grew up in a maritime area and there are people there who look like fish! At least I don't look like a fish, but I was swimming before I was walking, so who knows. :oops:

Not strictly aquatic, but Giant Beavers could certainly wreak havoc on construction and irrigation projects.

Alfred
garolek Wrote:I've gotten a lot of use out of Sahaguin and Morkoth over the years, but looking at a map of Blackmoor I'd say that they would be more likely to terrorize the depths of the North Sea. Perhaps the EGG would import some to keep the forces of good from being able to land ships on the shores of his realm?

Dungeons of Castle Blackmoor has some more ideas on this. The Sar-Aigu are revealed to be Sahuagin, although they are linked to the Temple of the Frog.

Quote:The Sahaguin (and Lovecraft's Deep Ones) creep me out - but I grew up in a maritime area and there are people there who look like fish! At least I don't look like a fish, but I was swimming before I was walking, so who knows. :oops:

IMC I portrayed the Frogfolk as Lovecraftian Deep Ones, including the "Innsmouth Look" thing...

Quote:Not strictly aquatic, but Giant Beavers could certainly wreak havoc on construction and irrigation projects.

Not sure why, but I find the concept of Giant Beavers pretty funny. :lol:

Havard
More blog posts on this subject:

Denizens of the Black Sea

Sea Monsters

Mermaids: Mot what they used to be!

-Havard
I take credit for the mermaid inspiration... :wink: :twisted:
DA4 has the Merefolk attack random ships because Skandaharians have been hunting them. The Merefolk do not realize Skandaharians are a different kind of Surface-dwellers than the Blackmoorians etc.

-Havard
Havard Wrote:DA4 has the Merefolk attack random ships because Skandaharians have been hunting them. The Merefolk do not realize Skandaharians are a different kind of Surface-dwellers than the Blackmoorians etc.

-Havard
interesting. hunting for what purpose I wonder?
Aldarron Wrote:
Havard Wrote:DA4 has the Merefolk attack random ships because Skandaharians have been hunting them. The Merefolk do not realize Skandaharians are a different kind of Surface-dwellers than the Blackmoorians etc.

-Havard
interesting. hunting for what purpose I wonder?

I will need to recheck DA4, but these are definately interesting questions. It could be just a cruel form of sports, but taking some inspiration from Pirates 4, perhaps they have found some use for a Mermaid's tears as well?

-Havard