Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
More Classes?
Just a simple question on this one. There are only 2 classes in AiF: Warrior & Mage. Should there be more classes developed for the house rule expansion? Maybe instead of classes we could come up with suggestions on using the skills with the classes to simulate a new class? Of course, that might involve expanding the skill list...
I sporadically blog (mostly) about role-playing topics at The Semi-Retired Gamer.

Currently reading Dave Arneson's True Genius by Robert J. Kuntz.
Semi-Retired Gamer Wrote:Just a simple question on this one. There are only 2 classes in AiF: Warrior & Mage. Should there be more classes developed for the house rule expansion? Maybe instead of classes we could come up with suggestions on using the skills with the classes to simulate a new class? Of course, that might involve expanding the skill list...

Good question!

I always saw AiF as a classless system myself, but then there are lots of rules that differentiate between Warriors and Mages.

Personally I lean towards your second suggestion of solving this through the skill (courses) system. Although that one could also use some revision....

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Definetly no to classes.

The concept was deliberately not included in the game. A player character advances either through succesful "warrior" combat or succesful "sorceror" spell use or both. It isn't about "class" per say but about one of two ways to advance in Levels. Also, a player can switch to either path. Al-haza began as a "knight" (p56) and became a wizard.
Aldarron Wrote:Definetly no to classes.

The concept was deliberately not included in the game. A player character advances either through succesful "warrior" combat or succesful "sorceror" spell use or both. It isn't about "class" per say but about one of two ways to advance in Levels. Also, a player can switch to either path. Al-haza began as a "knight" (p56) and became a wizard.

This made me think. Instead of classes, could there be more paths to gaining XP?

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Havard Wrote:

This made me think. Instead of classes, could there be more paths to gaining XP?

-Havard

I think including more paths to gaining XP is the way to go instead of using more classes. It was an interesting thought when I first had it BUT as Aldarron points out the class concept as traditionally used is pretty much foreign to AiF.
I sporadically blog (mostly) about role-playing topics at The Semi-Retired Gamer.

Currently reading Dave Arneson's True Genius by Robert J. Kuntz.
Havard Wrote:

-Havard

Interesting thought Havard; you might be on to something there. Smile