Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
Running Stone Age or Bronze Age Tech Campaigns in BECMI
Has anyone tried to run D&D campaigns in BECMI in settings where the PCs don't have access to steel or iron age equipment?

One problem with such campaigns is that D&D is designed around characters having access to chain or plate mail armor.

In terms of actual play, this penalizes the Fighter, Cleric, Dwarf, Elf and Halfling classes. It also means that these classes will have a much lower AC than in a standard campaign. This could potentially change the dynamic of combat dramatically, especially since these are the classes that will usually engage the most in close combat.

One possibility is to include variant-classes like the Hunter, Berserker and Forester Classes I have detailed in this thread to replace Fighters.

Another option would be to give other compensations to low armored characters of these classes.

A third option would be to make use of the partial armor rules introduced in various Hollow World sourcebooks.

How would you handle the BECMI rules in such a campaign?

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Its really only a problem if the stone/bronze-age culture is clashing with one of a higher tech/progress level.

If the campaign is self-contained, then just use weapons as-is (if somewhat trimmed), and maybe ditch chainmail, if in bronze-age, and only allow leather if at stone-age.
Rob
[Image: Trista-Thronesig-zps94e26f1f.png]
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | twitter | The Blog
I think you could allow for bronze plate (which existed in AD&D) - the difference between bronze and iron equipment may not be significant enough to make a mechanical difference in D&D.

IIRC, the real advantage of iron weapons in the RL Iron Age was cost/availability; I don't think Iron Age iron was superior material-properties-wise to bronze, it took a *long* time for things to advance to that point (with better steel).

IMO, it's kind of like how the limitation of longbows in RL was the incredible amount of training needed - but that isn't a problem for D&D PCs.

The Stone Age is more of an issue.

RobJN Wrote:Its really only a problem if the stone/bronze-age culture is clashing with one of a higher tech/progress level.

Well, there is still the issue of balance between classes - Fighters' and Clerics' ability to use all armor isn't worth much if no one has anything better than leather armor.
WingofCoot Wrote:IIRC, the real advantage of iron weapons in the RL Iron Age was cost/availability; I don't think Iron Age iron was superior material-properties-wise to bronze, it took a *long* time for things to advance to that point (with better steel).
IRL the Hittites at their peak dominated a vast area and were a great threat to the Egypt of the Pharaohs because they fought with iron weapons against enemies that used bronze weapon, breaking their enemies swords while they fought.
I think that the real, real issue is if your characters are at bronze or stone age while their opponents are at a higher technological level. Otherwise eventually all things find a different, but still acceptable point of balance.
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land,
making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.
The issue of the AC that is independent from the experience / level / fighting prowess but depends only on Dex and armour is one of the inherent issues of D&D. Happens.
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land,
making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.