Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
Wizards Cabal Questions
The main base of operations for the Wizards Cabal, according to TWC is the fortress of Ardenn and its Tower of Mages in Vestfold. I am little unclear on when this building was established? Does it go back to when the Mage Wars ended, which was also at Vestfold? If so, how would this affect relations between The Cabal and the mundane ruler of Vestfold when it was promoted to the status of Earldom?

In the other thread we talked about the relationship between the Cabal and King Uther, but prior to that the relationship would have been between the Cabal and the Thonian Empire, a relationship that was not always too friendly.

In my Vales campaign (995NC), I made Wizardwatch Keep (aka Sage's Tower) the main training ground of the Cabal, but would it have made more sense to have it always be at Ardenn?

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Havard Wrote:The main base of operations for the Wizards Cabal, according to TWC is the fortress of Ardenn and its Tower of Mages in Vestfold. I am little unclear on when this building was established? Does it go back to when the Mage Wars ended, which was also at Vestfold? If so, how would this affect relations between The Cabal and the mundane ruler of Vestfold when it was promoted to the status of Earldom?

In the other thread we talked about the relationship between the Cabal and King Uther, but prior to that the relationship would have been between the Cabal and the Thonian Empire, a relationship that was not always too friendly.

In my Vales campaign (995NC), I made Wizardwatch Keep (aka Sage's Tower) the main training ground of the Cabal, but would it have made more sense to have it always be at Ardenn?

-Havard

According to TWC:12,13 Ard established a wizards training school at Vestfold in 910. Certainly this is Ardenn and the central academy for the cabal. Arguably, the founding of this academy is what led to Vestfolds growth and the lessening of importance of Blackmoor. Leading, presumably, to the transfer to Vestfold of civil power when Ra-all moves from Blackmoor to Vestfold circa 961.

That is all noted and referenced in the extensive timelinee I posted.... :wink:
Aldarron Wrote:According to TWC:12,13 Ard established a wizards training school at Vestfold in 910. Certainly this is Ardenn and the central academy for the cabal. Arguably, the founding of this academy is what led to Vestfolds growth and the lessening of importance of Blackmoor. Leading, presumably, to the transfer to Vestfold of civil power when Ra-all moves from Blackmoor to Vestfold circa 961.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. The only problem I see is that during the 900s, the relationship between the Empire and the Cabal was quite strained at times. Then again, perhaps the transfer of civil power was indeed initiated to keep Vestfold from falling completely under the control of the Wizards?

Quote:That is all noted and referenced in the extensive timelinee I posted.... :wink:

So much to take in... :oops:

Thanks! Smile

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Havard Wrote:
Aldarron Wrote:According to TWC:12,13 Ard established a wizards training school at Vestfold in 910. Certainly this is Ardenn and the central academy for the cabal. Arguably, the founding of this academy is what led to Vestfolds growth and the lessening of importance of Blackmoor. Leading, presumably, to the transfer to Vestfold of civil power when Ra-all moves from Blackmoor to Vestfold circa 961.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. The only problem I see is that during the 900s, the relationship between the Empire and the Cabal was quite strained at times. Then again, perhaps the transfer of civil power was indeed initiated to keep Vestfold from falling completely under the control of the Wizards?

Yeah, could be. I guess whatever makes the best story...

Havard Wrote:
Quote:That is all noted and referenced in the extensive timelinee I posted.... :wink:

So much to take in... :oops:

Thanks! Smile

-Havard

Heh, yeah, aint that the truth!