Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
Q&A with Jeffery Quinn
I also have another, completely unrelated question.

Your Blackmoor always reminded me a bit of the very early Forgotten Realms adventures. Was that an influence on you, or just my imagination?
FR is a very large influence on my writing. Some of my fondest gaming happened in FR. The first online game I ever played in was called Code of the Harpers (a playtest for the 2e book of the same name) and run by Dave "Tip" Vaught. Wow, that was around 20 years ago, I hope I spelled his name right. Tip went on to become the head of the RPGA and a designer for TSR before WotC swooped in and purchased them.

I miss those days. The games seemed more alive then than they do now. Sure, THAC0 sucked, but I miss the storytelling and the mysterious element of it all. Now, players know how to hog-tie a GM in the rules faster than rolling the damage for a longsword.
Jeffrey Quinn
Writer & Game Designer
JPQuinn Wrote:Now, players know how to hog-tie a GM in the rules faster than rolling the damage for a longsword.

The Siren Song of the Old School Revival my friend!
bumping a couple of questions in case you missed them Jeff Smile

Havard Wrote:Jeff, did you have anything more planned out for the Black Queen? At what time in history would you suggest that the curse of the Westryn was cast?

Quote:Been reading about Quinke's Brigade in the Wizards Cabal. I assume they are named after you? Is there more to this story? Smile

Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Hey Jeff,

Some late praise for "The Redwood Scar" from my side can be found here:

http://blackmoor.mystara.us/forums/viewtopic.php?t=512

Yours,

Rafe
Rafael Wrote:Hey Jeff,

Some late praise for "The Redwood Scar" from my side can be found here:

http://blackmoor.mystara.us/forums/viewtopic.php?t=512

Yours,

Rafe
Rafael Wrote:In my humble opinion, THE BEST ADVENTURE in the entire line, apart from, maybe, "Ties That Bind".

I'm glad you liked both of the adventures (I also wrote Ties That Bind).

I apologize for my extended absence, but I was hard at work getting some gaming goodness pulled together with my own company (Dolmen Creative).

Let's see if I can answer some of these questions:

The Black Queen - Yes. I had tons of ideas swimming around my notebooks and in my head. When I was asked to work with the elves (as always) I consulted with Dave at length through IMs and e-mails and Dustin and I talked on the phone, IM, e-mail, and crystal ball. We all love Blackmoor and its deep mythos and "core cannon" but we wanted to break new ground and introduce new and evolved enemies for both the newest generation of gamers and the grognard loyalist army. I will say that the introduction of the Black Queen and the Redwood Scar are related to each other.

Quinke's Brigade - I believe it was Dustin that wrote that part of the book. And, to be honest, we were always putting in tongue-in-cheek jabs and inside jokes at each other, our playtesters, and at the gaming community at large. If you think someone's name is in the book, chances are that you're right. Though this book is nowhere nearly as laced with good-natured jests as a certain rare gaming module (:Confusedlyly winks at Dustin:Smile.

All-in-all, I want to see Blackmoor stay alive for another 30-some-odd years to come. I even pay homage to the First Campaign Setting in my company's flagship game, Destiny6. I've attached a link to the map of the core game world, see if you can spot where the homage has been paid: http://www.dolmen-studios.com/comics/DC%...%20Map.jpg
Jeffrey Quinn
Writer & Game Designer
Smile Seems you just killed your own post, Jeff?

Everything alright?

I still got the original in a notification, though, and can post it, if you like. Smile
Please do. I have no idea why it didn't post.
Jeffrey Quinn
Writer & Game Designer
I am also interested in this. Another reason to subscribe to these awesome threads I guess! Smile

*subscribes immediately*

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Quote:I'm glad you liked both of the adventures (I also wrote Ties That Bind).

I apologize for my extended absence, but I was hard at work getting some gaming goodness pulled together with my own company (Dolmen Creative).

Let's see if I can answer some of these questions:

The Black Queen - Yes. I had tons of ideas swimming around my notebooks and in my head. When I was asked to work with the elves (as always) I consulted with Dave at length through IMs and e-mails and Dustin and I talked on the phone, IM, e-mail, and crystal ball. We all love Blackmoor and its deep mythos and "core cannon" but we wanted to break new ground and introduce new and evolved enemies for both the newest generation of gamers and the grognard loyalist army. I will say that the introduction of the Black Queen and the Redwood Scar are related to each other.

Quinke's Brigade - I believe it was Dustin that wrote that part of the book. And, to be honest, we were always putting in tongue-in-cheek jabs and inside jokes at each other, our playtesters, and at the gaming community at large. If you think someone's name is in the book, chances are that you're right. Though this book is nowhere nearly as laced with good-natured jests as a certain rare gaming module (:Confusedlyly winks at Dustin:Smile.

All-in-all, I want to see Blackmoor stay alive for another 30-some-odd years to come. I even pay homage to the First Campaign Setting in my company's flagship game, Destiny6. I've attached a link to the map of the core game world, see if you can spot where the homage has been paid:[/url]