Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
Dungeon Crawl Classic RPG Blackmoor?
finarvyn Wrote:I can't believe that I missed this thread! :oops:

I've been playtesting DCC since March or so and it's a great game system. I think it would be a great fit for Blackmoor and hope someone gets around to it before I do. Tongue

Any suggestions you could provide are very welcome! Smile

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Interview with the Goodman Games crew on the DCC RPG: http://greifenklaue.wordpress.com/2012/ ... -the-dccs/

-Havard
Wasn't there a second thread floating around for this one, as well?

I for my part think this could be a winner; the oldschool components are so prevalent that the previews sound almost like parody, though.

Now, since I know this is an issue for most gamers here,
if you want *my* recommendation for what to buy for yourself or for your children,
I advocate Lamentation of the Flame Princess, as well as the second edition of Dragon Warriors, by Magnum Opus Press.

That is as oldschool as you can get, without the feeling that you are playing clones. Smile
DCC is fun, but it's not designed to be a parody RPG. (Of course each GM gets to pick his or her own style, so games may turn parody.)

The game starts off a little light with the level-0 dudes dying like crazy, but the intent of the game is to move into a much darker adventure style more like the books found in Appendix N. While spell mishap could be slapstick, the intent is to make magic dangerous and hard to predict. Again, individual games could be fun slapstick but this wasn't the intent.

Consider, for example, Gamma World. GW can be run serious or gonzo. I always played it serious, but most gamers seem to have gone gonzo. The rules can allow both but the individuals really determine the style.

If you haven't gone to the goodman boards, take a peek at the threads in the 3PP section. There is a Transylvanian Adventures campaign being developed in the vein of vampire fiction. There is a Frawgs adventure being written that reminds me a lot of Arneson's Temple of the Frogs. Lots of neat products on the horizon. 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
Member of The Regency Council
Visit my Blackmoor OD&D board
OD&D since 1975

"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
- Dave Arneson

[Image: Giladan.png]
Ah, I am glad to hear that.

GG didn't take 4e well AT ALL, but if they now manage to restructure with fully owned personal IPs, that's awesome.

GG were also pretty good Blackmoorians, always.

I hope products like this are more than a fluke:

[Image: Frawgs_cover03.jpg]

Big Grin
Attack of the Frawgs... I want it! 8)

What is it? An adventure?

-Havard
Where can I get Attack of the Frawgs? Amazon does not have it listed...

-Havard
Silly viking, it's not like the company's label was on the cover... :wink:

http://www.thickskulladventures.com/

It's not listed on RPGNow, though, so I assume it's simply not out yet. Smile
The "street release date" for the DCC RPG was kept a secret by Goodman Games, and 3PP products weren't allowed to be released before the core RPG hit the stores.

The core book is now surfacing at game stores, (just got the e-mail about it today from Joseph; someone posted yesteday on the GG boards that there had been a game store sighting) so I assume that there will be a flood of DCC-compatible products appearing in the near future.

Dunno offhand if "Frawgs" is ready to go right away or just very soon.
Marv / Finarvyn
Member of The Regency Council
Visit my Blackmoor OD&D board
OD&D since 1975

"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
- Dave Arneson

[Image: Giladan.png]
If a module has frogmen in it, I want it! Big Grin

-Havard