Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
"The Redwood Scar", ZGG, 2005.
How did the entire series play out, eventually? - Or, rather, do we have an overview of all the Scar-related adventures?

Not to insert a cheap plug, but my "Tales..." adventure was written as an addendum/side-story to "The Redwood Scar", and I remember that the reason we didn't include any "Scar"-related motifs was because the plot was supposed to be reserved for one particular sequel adventure. When the whole Cumasti plot was expanded, with the... Magic Book... And some other details, I eventually lost track of things. Confusedhock:
As far as we know looking at currently published material, the last adventure of the Saga of the Scar is The Wound behind the Scar, that is Episode 82 and it is part of season 4 (viewtopic.php?f=91&t=8843 - in its introduction you can find the full story summarized up to that point) and to me it sounds like the epic end of the saga.
However, I don't know if there are more episodes that still need to be published in the MMRPG and that may add further detail or elements.
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land,
making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Bingo - the finale is sort of ambiguous, and the origins of the Scar were also left somewhat ambiguous, IIRC. Within the later additions of "The Age of the Wolves", you can certainly find ways to round it up, but by itself, it's not really clear how to explain it to the players/how to continue it.

The concept itself is easy to stylistically place - "Creepers" or, rather "The Creature from the Wolfstaag" in the Shannara novels function more or less like the Scar does:

http://shannara.wikia.com/wiki/Shannara_Creatures

So, expanding on that concept - say, connecting it to the City of the Gods - is possible. In any case, any reasonable DM will have to write the last chapter of that campaign arc by him- or herself if his goal is to give the players a satisfying conclusion.

Personally, I solved the question for Scar's origin the cheapest way possible, IIRC - it was just a mutated giant spider that had sort of absorbed the armor of several knights that had been unlucky enough to cross its path. A bit cheap, but easy to find out by the players themselves, and rounding up a fairly complex story.

Still so, thirteen years after I first ran this one, RS remains my single favorite BM adventure. Smile It's reasonably short, no encounter really plays out like the other, and the main plot, without any meta-setting implications, is dark enough to create some shock-value, which is important when you're dealing, like most of us do, with experienced players. Speaking solely as a fan, I'd preferred this storyline to continue, rather than seeing "just" updates of the classic modules, for most of the remaining ZGG run. Not that they were bad, not at all - but this story was the kind of fresh impulse that the setting needed to move beyond the "narrative spaces" that we'd already come to know.

Aaaah, the memories. Smile
It looks to me that Episode 82 opens the door to a fairly Lovecraftian scenario, a bit in line to other episodes from Season 4, that quite some time lean on to stempunk, horror and/or Lovecraft (perhaps it was fashionable at the time?)

Difficult to reply to your post not knowing if there is a follow up of this saga after Episode 82, however it is impossible not to agree that this saga is a great and fitting addition to Blackmoor lore and myth... and this is not a minor success at all!
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land,
making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.